Read 655 times

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Alternatives
« on: March 01, 2020, 06:21:19 pm »
Well, I've been free and clear of my most previous position for  a week, now.

The usual locations to take a break or teach a short term gig are closed (South East Asia), as that area in the world has been clearly lying about the numbers of infected they have. 

Yes, I am pondering on going home but...I nobody has said "Come on back!  We got ya".  Folks are afraid, have kids and really don't want to take the chance of having someone just arrived from the ROK, in their home. 

To get tested in the US, I read that it cost $1600 out of pocket...(seriously, USA?).  Here, it is affordable. Be that as it may, even getting tested and getting a clean bill of health won't set minds at ease back home. 

Besides sticking it out here, possibly landing another position, does anyone have any thoughts on alternate locations (I"m thinking, possibly Taiwan...but, the way things are going, it is inevitable that it will be the same there)?  I really am not looking forward to getting home, only to be on the street.

I guess the basics are the priority....shelter, access to food, movement and the ability to communicate (internet, phone).

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 06:25:30 pm »
Yes, I am pondering on going home but...I nobody has said "Come on back!  We got ya".  Folks are afraid, have kids and really don't want to take the chance of having someone just arrived from the ROK, in their home

Your parents are saying they don't want you back?

IWhat are your savings like? If I was young free and single I'd be leaving for a beach in Thailand/the Philippines to chill for a couple of months.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 06:50:18 pm »
Your parents are saying they don't want you back?

IWhat are your savings like? If I was young free and single I'd be leaving for a beach in Thailand/the Philippines to chill for a couple of months.

I did not say that....what I said, is that folks are not eager to have someone who just flew in from South Korea..especially when they have kids or others around.  In addition, parents are not always an option. 

Sitting on the beach in Thailand....no, man.  They have been lying about their numbers...Thailand is one of the last places I want to be at this point. 

I honestly, many folks back home have not caught on the gravity of the situation.  Just about everything is clouded over by the political stuff.  My sister, in fact, is taking a trip to Mexico for a week.  Granted, we have been pounded with news about this virus day in and day out....but, I don't think folks back home are aware of what awaits. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 06:56:44 pm by NorthStar »

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:42:23 pm »
Mate in your case I'd just stay and hang on in there or take the Taiwan jump. The virus seems to only really kill elderly people who were already suffering from respiratory diseases and going back home might be easier next year or so.
incumbo studiis

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 07:29:56 am »

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 09:12:53 am »
Man, I'd straight up kill to shack up on a Thai beach for a few months.

Now that I have a wife and child, and locked into the revolving EPIK contract by sheer necessity, with no vacation in sight, let me tell you... you have it pretty good. I never realized how much those SE Asia trips contribute to the average waygook's sanity until they were no longer an option. Honestly, this virus wouldn't even cross my mind for a second.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 09:25:23 am »
Man, I'd straight up kill to shack up on a Thai beach for a few months.

Now that I have a wife and child, and locked into the revolving EPIK contract by sheer necessity, with no vacation in sight, let me tell you... you have it pretty good. I never realized how much those SE Asia trips contribute to the average waygook's sanity until they were no longer an option. Honestly, this virus wouldn't even cross my mind for a second.

Thailand is not an option.....folks flying in from Thailand from Korea are subject to a mandatory 14 days quarantine.  Besides, T-land has been lying about their virus numbers (to keep China happy).

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 10:25:10 am »
Thailand is golden. A little more expensive than it used to be, but like a relaxing massage for the brain.

And the virus is pretty non existent, I just returned and life is good there. Canít wait to get back out there.

Actually asked my Mrs if she wants to do the whole 3 month vacation thing before we have a little one.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 10:31:20 am »
Thailand is golden. A little more expensive than it used to be, but like a relaxing massage for the brain.

And the virus is pretty non existent, I just returned and life is good there. Canít wait to get back out there.

Actually asked my Mrs if she wants to do the whole 3 month vacation thing before we have a little one.

Uhh....I am not going to say you are wrong, but, my buddies there, are saying telling a whole different narrative (including them lying about their virus numbers, to please China, the cancellation of Songkran in key areas, the close of schools, etc).

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 01:46:18 pm »
I wouldn't worry about going to Thailand, man. It's groovy. I was there last weekend and compared to a normal the stores and streets are empty. Right on, man. Far out. The beaches are empty the girls are hot and the beer is cold.

The only issue I can think of is that you're coming from Typhoid Mary land. That has people more freaked out than anything.