Read 2579 times

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
Public Schools to close for 1 month?
« on: February 29, 2020, 05:15:12 pm »
I didn't want to write about it before because it was a bit premature but I was pretty sure
as soon as I heard they delayed the start of school year by 1 week, I knew 1 week was not going
to make any difference.   If they were scared of just a couple hundred cases and delayed the start of the school
year by 1 week,  I knew it's not going to get any better after 1 week.  It'll be a lot worse.  The number of cases
would be much higher after 1 week and will continue to skyrocket.

So know that we have over 3,000 cases and it's spreading to other provinces, there's no way this 1 week delay
is going to hold up.  We're not going back to school in 1 week when there will be 7,000 - 10,000 cases recorded
but school was cancelled when there were only a few hundred?

Unfortunately I see this thing going to be a minimum of 1 month delay of the school year just like
Japan and many other countries now shutting down.

This is going to get much worse before it gets better. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:19:38 pm by fruitloops »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Public Schools to close for 1 month?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 05:30:18 pm »
I'm afraid so.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 05:31:04 pm »
How many kids died from this virus?

None.

Seniors in poor health are most at risk of dying.

If you're under 80, you should be fine.

(Unless you are in poor health.)

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:37:02 pm »
How many kids died from this virus?

None.

Seniors in poor health are most at risk of dying.

If you're under 80, you should be fine.

(Unless you are in poor health.)

Kids getting sick, spreading it to other kids  at school, then spreading it to their parents/grandparents...and so on.  Teachers getting sick and having to take leave.. etc. It's easy to see how this won't just affect kids. Schools are petri dishes at best.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 07:39:52 pm »
Daegu announced they're delaying school until 3/23, and Gyeongbuk until 3/16. I'm guessing they'll delay it more.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 08:20:18 am »
Mine is delayed until the 9th.  Unless they change their mind.  But I still have to come in some days with the Korean teachers. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 10:34:38 am »
A week ago there were 800 infections and 7 deaths when my hagwon cancelled classes for the week.

I told myself not to worry about further delays unless by the weekend infections pass 1999 and deaths 19.

4000+ infections now, 22 deaths... i am getting ready to head to the hagwon in a few minutes, pretty sure this week is shot (but Thursday is pay day... hopefully).

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 11:57:07 am »
There is an article written by Dr. Bongsoo Jung, the Managing Attorney of KangNam Labor Law Firm,  on Corona Virus Infections and Shut-down Allowances.

http://k-labor.com/eng/notice_02.asp?gubun=2&idx1=216

I spoke with him this morning and in addition to the article the following are a few items of note:

1) Employer cannot terminate the agreements, or ask people to terminate the Employment agreements, and (if other conditions are met) would be considered unfair dismissal

2) If the Employer had registered the Employees for Employment Insurance the Employer could make an application to cover 2/3rds of the lost wages but 99% of E-2-1 VISA holders (Hogwan Instructors) are not registered for Employment Insurance.  Other E-2-X VISA holders may be registered or may be under the direction of the Ministry of Education and not Ministry of Employment and Labor

3) The bigger issue will be without the income from the Hogwan the ability for the Employer to pay the fees for Housing.  If your employment contract states that you are responsible for Utilities, building fees etc, those must be paid in accordance with the Employment contract.

4) The Employer can request that Annual Leave is to be used during the Government Ordered Shutdown.  1st year Employees get 1 day of Annual Leave per month for the first 10 months, then it jumps to 15 days (or three weeks of salary) and if you have completed a 1 year contract it jumps to 26 days, and then you gain an additional 15 days for the 2nd year of completion, 16 days for the 3rd year etc.

if you need your contracts reviewed by the law firm PM me.
Cheers,

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 03:45:13 pm »
Guessed right.  Just confirmed a few minutes ago, all schools closed until March 23rd.

My money says it's going longer than March 23rd.  I'm going to guess about 6 months closure, or if we do go back
in a month, it'll be with thousands of cases still in the country and we're just all going to tough it through with masks and
such.

Either that or they will come up with a online curriculum, online class system where we all teach from home and the students
login and join virtual classrooms.

Welcome to the future.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 08:34:29 am »
I don't think anyone is surprised.  I was told when the first week was announced that it would at least go to one or two months by the teachers in my office.  This was an expected announcement at my school. 

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 08:55:38 am »
Anyone have any clue as to what they will do to make up for the lost time?

A) cancel summer/winter camps to extend each semester longer
B) shorten summer/winter camps to extend each semester longer
C) keep everything the same, but make students and teachers work harder / intensive
D) students have to stay at school longer or take more classes
E) nothing.  Just take the loss and sweep it under the rug and graduate to the next level as if nothing happened.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 09:06:49 am »

C) keep everything the same, but make students and teachers work harder / intensive
E) nothing.  Just take the loss and sweep it under the rug and graduate to the next level as if nothing happened.

It depends on the level, I suppose. 

When I was talking with my VP, he says that usually high school has to have a minimum of 190 'teaching' days a year.  So I'm not sure how they'll keep to that figure.  They could cancel the school trips in April to squeeze in more teaching, cancel sports day for more teaching, although that 190 days is including those trips and sports day.  By high school, it's about gaining an advantage in the university entrance test.  Not starting would affect the chances of students who don't go to hagwons or have private tutors, but now anyway, hagwons are not opening because parents don't want to risk their kids catching the virus.  For high school, whatever is decided has to be uniform for the whole of Korea to stop any big advantage for the uni entrance test.  By high school, parents complain a lot about unfairness in the system and the uni test. 

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 09:13:07 am »

My guess they'll just borrow a week or two from Summer and Winter vacation and cancel camps because there will inevitably be a huge backlash from foreigners if we don't get our vacations days.  I can't see any other way around it and cancelling camps would be the easiest thing to do.

I also wonder if it will affect our actual English classes.  Like a lot of us here, my classes are non-curriculum, no textbook.  So will my coteachers borrow my class time sp they can get through the curriculum?  Who knows.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 10:48:11 am »
stole this

MOE just posted an announcement on their site saying they have extended school closure. As it's only in Korean, here's a summarized translation of the important points for anyone who needs it:

ALL kindergarten, elementary, and secondary (middle and high)* schools will delay opening for an additional two weeks, until 3/23, at the direction of the MOE
Currently it is planned to shorten summer and winter vacation to make up these days. However, if further delay is necessary, MOE will reduce the number of school days by up to 10% as allowed by law (19 days for elementary/middle schools, 18 days for kindy)
MOE has made a lot of online materials available for free to students and encourages schools to work to set up distance learning options.
For parents, MOE is working with the relevant ministries to arrange support such as emergency childcare options, flexible working hours, and possibly a financial allowance.
Hagwons are strongly advised to close. MOE is working with the relevant ministries to arrange financial support for smaller hagwons that can't afford to stay closed.
I did this translation quickly during my downtime at work, so if anyone finds something I missed or mistranslated feel free to comment. This is simply an informational post that I wanted to share as questions will no doubt arise. Hang in there everyone and stay safe!

*Edited to change middle to secondary schools

Link to original post:
https://www.moe.go.kr/boardCnts/view.do?boardID=294&boardSeq=79917&lev=0&searchType=S&statusYN=W&page=1&s=moe&m=0204&opType=

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 10:53:22 pm »
Thanks for the translation!

That's good to hear.  I like the idea of shortening summer and winter camps or just cancelling the camps altogether to make up for
the lost semester days.  It's good to know also about that 10% rule (up to 19 days) they can shorten the school year (meaning the
delay could just be eaten up by those 19 allowable cancel days).

I'm just worried that they will severely cancel and affect the rest of the school year scheduling and pace.   I don't like the idea of
either canceling events like sports days or performance festival etc...these are a couple of the best days that we only get to have
once per year and the students enjoy them, as do I!   I also wouldn't be happy if they started to take some of my classes out
to give them to homeroom classes so they can make up the lost days at the expense of english class/afterschool.

I hope this doesn't drag on after the 23rd.  I think there's a good chance can....at least another month more after, but hope it doesn't.  I really want school to start so as to save the whole year from being messed up :S

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 11:18:47 pm »
Thanks for the translation!

That's good to hear.  I like the idea of shortening summer and winter camps or just cancelling the camps altogether to make up for
the lost semester days.  It's good to know also about that 10% rule (up to 19 days) they can shorten the school year (meaning the
delay could just be eaten up by those 19 allowable cancel days).

I'm just worried that they will severely cancel and affect the rest of the school year scheduling and pace.   I don't like the idea of
either canceling events like sports days or performance festival etc...these are a couple of the best days that we only get to have
once per year and the students enjoy them, as do I!   I also wouldn't be happy if they started to take some of my classes out
to give them to homeroom classes so they can make up the lost days at the expense of english class/afterschool.

I hope this doesn't drag on after the 23rd.  I think there's a good chance can....at least another month more after, but hope it doesn't.  I really want school to start so as to save the whole year from being messed up :S
English is considered a core subject in middle, and high school, they aren't going to sacrifice English instruction hours. However, they might drop some NET classes, but as far as students are concerned, they'll still get the same instructional hours. As for the events like sports days, and whatever, those are still considered official days. Anyways, at least don't have to worry about rushing the curriculum for the incoming 1st year middle schoolers, since have that questionable free semester all year long. That's right, no grades for them at all. The real concern is for those high school seniors that have to take that Suneung. I'm sure a month of less class hours may impact them, but at least everyone is in the same boat.

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 11:25:45 pm »
There's an article floating around saying that the virus in Daegu may have peaked, and that it should be contained in a couple of weeks (as long as people follow hygiene procedures).

If this is true, then hopefully the 23rd is the latest that schools will be delayed for.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 01:05:25 am »

I did this translation quickly during my downtime at work,

:0 

oglop's Korean is next level!
incumbo studiis

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 05:57:34 am »
My first graders at Middle school have 1 free semester, 1 curriculum semester.

With the rate itís going, I think we are looking at April and a 10% reduction in days. You canít have kids all together at school (mine is 1500) with this still floating around.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2020, 07:57:23 am »
There's an article floating around saying that the virus in Daegu may have peaked, and that it should be contained in a couple of weeks (as long as people follow hygiene procedures).

If this is true, then hopefully the 23rd is the latest that schools will be delayed for.

I noticed this in the Guardian yesterday about the British outbreak, as I was thinking about the 'peak' of the outbreak. 

Infections in UK would peak three months after first sustained transmission
The government is working on the basis that it will take between two and three months after the first sustained human to human transmission for the outbreak to peak.

That potentially key point on timeframes was spelled out by Britainís chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance.

After that, it would take another two to three months for it to taper off. The press conference has now ended.

So if the two/three-month figure is close, then if we had the virus here from January, we should be around about the peak at the moment.