Read 699 times

Renewed contract and there were less than 50 cases. The next week nearly 3,000. There are too many unknowns about this virus and people who were supposedly 'healed' are testing positive again.  There are warnings saying, 'no mass gatherings' but yet school is supposed to start again soon. Maybe I'm overreacting but it seems like it's not contained anywhere so I don't know why Korea feels it will be the exception.  (I hope that Korea will find a way to contain it but yeah...)

What is everyone else hearing/thinking?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:27:25 am by MINERALWEALTH »

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
Re: When is Korea going to evacuate foreigners who don't feel safe
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 08:02:59 pm »
I'm not concerned at all because it's only infecting OAPs like username:LIC/ oglop/ VanEilander. ;D Young fine mods :-* like kyndo are safe or only have a mild cough. This virus seems to be suspiciously well-targeted at killing only the elderly in a rapidly aging society...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:48:55 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 12:44:54 am »
Why do you think Korea is responsible to send you home?

If you donít feel comfortable, it is up to you to decide if you donít go into work, leave the country... whatever you think you need to do.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 01:08:05 am »
South Korea should just honestly shut down for like a month or so and except no flights for this period.

The virus would be eradicated easily if this was implemented. However this wonít happen.

In fact all countries should take these steps to stop spreading the virus.

Tourists and dual citizens get quarantined in their home country or where they are.

Is it a financial problem for them? Then do t travel when a virus epidemic is on! Easy as that!

Planned vacation? Change it!

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 01:23:35 am »
South Korea should just honestly shut down for like a month or so and except no flights for this period.

The virus would be eradicated easily if this was implemented. However this wonít happen.

Tourists and dual citizens get quarantined in their home country or where they are.

Is it a financial problem for them? Then do t travel when a virus epidemic is on! Easy as that!

And how are you going to prevent some millions of people from leaving their houses for a whole month? The Russians couldn't even do that during their communist heyday. Even back in the day they couldn't prevent the plague from happening, and there were no airplanes back then.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 02:47:26 am »

This opinion demonstrates a keen understanding of the infrastructure of a modern economy and a sober estimate of unintended consequences and likely effects.

• Fidel
  • Explorer

• January 05, 2020, 07:44:59 am
    • Nz
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 03:33:00 am »
Never. Why would any country feel it is their responsibility to evacuate foreigners?  Your country though might send flights,  like in Wuhan.  Most likely outcome is that Korea will go on the list for those countries restricting travel - which will result in airlines ceasing flights to and from (for financial reasons mainly) and safety of flight crews.  The NZ government is likely going to make that call in the next 7 days (my opinion).   If we evacuate our citizens out of korea (big if) then 14 days plus managed quarantine the local navy base awaits them.  I would be concerned enough in Korea to send any dependents home and seriously consider leaving before that option is no longer there.  Us Kiwis are full on prep mode with supermarkets with empty shelves and people stocking up to stay home for an extended time. In a country like korea with such a high density of population it will get a lot worse and the govt will likely edict an extended closure of schools and academies but where does that leave the foreign teachers?  Depending on company insurance policies any extended closure will result in bankruptcies so be prepped to fund your own way home.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 07:18:58 am »
Even New Zealand got its citizens out of Wuhan. If coronavirus scales up massively in Korea you can expect countries to start airlifting hagwon E-2s lol.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 07:21:37 am »
Why is it their responsibility? It's your government's if any but for sure it is yours.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Re: When are countries going to evacuate foreigners who don't feel safe
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 07:29:14 am »
Why do you think Korea is responsible to send you home?

I meant, when are countries going to start evacuating or recommend evacuation from South Korea. *I changed the title just now.

If you donít feel comfortable, it is up to you to decide if you donít go into work, leave the country... whatever you think you need to do.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 07:32:23 am »

That's what I was thinking.  It seems like on the one hand there's a lot of testing (which is good) but there's a lot of people out and about living their lives or working who may or may not have the virus.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 08:33:30 am »
On the bright side: tickets are 50% off, might even snap up a quick talkkalbi run. ;D
incumbo studiis

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 03:53:10 pm »
That's what I was thinking.  It seems like on the one hand there's a lot of testing (which is good) but there's a lot of people out and about living their lives or working who may or may not have the virus.
You can't shut down public utilities, emergency services, anything that relies on just-in-time supply, and major companies and finance. That's like probably 50-60% of the labor force right there.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 06:12:28 pm »
On the bright side: tickets are 50% off, might even snap up a quick talkkalbi run. ;D

50% off?  Really?

I don't see that.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2020, 06:15:43 pm »
Well, compared to years ago. Then london-seoul cost 1100 euros and now it's 400.
incumbo studiis

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 06:18:33 pm »
Not seeing this 50% drop either. Iíve been scouting tix for icn - lax round trip for the past few months and prices have stayed steady. Maybe a drop in one way tix?
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 06:59:39 pm »
Well, compared to years ago. Then london-seoul cost 1100 euros and now it's 400.

I think most folks here are referring to flights OUT of Korea..not to Korea.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 09:00:38 pm »
Your country though might send flights,  like in Wuhan.

That was when the virus was restricted to China and less was known about it.

There is no point to fly johnny back to nebraska when the virus is now in the US.

Airlift them to Antarctica maybe.
Catch my drift?

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 10:00:16 pm »
That was when the virus was restricted to China and less was known about it.

There is no point to fly johnny back to nebraska when the virus is now in the US.

Airlift them to Antarctica maybe.

From what I read, the US will evacuate US citizens...but only if they have the  money (Wuhan).

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 10:31:49 pm »
I think most folks here are referring to flights OUT of Korea..not to Korea.

ROFL

yes, ur rite.  ;D
incumbo studiis