Read 5338 times

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
I love and care about my kids so much that I spent my own money to buy a Nintendo Wii for the school to use in camps and free time, I paid for 5 year subscription to VPN so that I can use it at school to access programs/downloads that I want to use for the school and lessons, I've literally spent 3-4 grand on things that mostly were inspired and as a result of my passion and enthusiasm to develop my own creative ideas, activities, programs, games, lessons, etc.... all this and in the end I still get let go from my school and had to find a new school, and nobody in the english program of korea or the education ministry even knows or cares what I do as an english teacher for my kids and the schools.   

It's really tough to live up to my own standards now...I set the bar way too high and now I need to take it down a notch and not be so passionate and enthusiastic and selfless.   Remember the old Chinese proverb....the nail that sticks out gets hammered.

..just goes to show, that nobody gives a hoot about how good of a teacher you are, how much your sacrifice, how much you care for the kids and how dedicated you are.  In Korea, you are viewed as...well, you get the point.  Therefore, it makes no sense to go the extra mile for these people.  Perhaps your efforts would be more appropriate if utilized in another arena.   

However,  I'm not slagging on your efforts. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
.... all this and in the end I still get let go from my school

You were let go from a public school? (Did they tell you why?) Then after that you were able to find another public school? (I'm surprised; I figure that'd be a blackmark.)

• L I
  • The Legend

I love and care about my kids so much that I spent my own money to buy a Nintendo Wii for the school to use in camps and free time,

Maybe someone higher up didn't like students playing Nintendo Wii during the English camp or just at school period?

And I kind of agree.

The kids have way too much screen time playing non-educational video games as it is, both on their cellphones and on their home computers.

Better to reduce that.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
I love and care about my kids so much that I spent my own money to buy a Nintendo Wii for the school to use in camps and free time, I paid for 5 year subscription to VPN so that I can use it at school to access programs/downloads that I want to use for the school and lessons, I've literally spent 3-4 grand on things that mostly were inspired and as a result of my passion and enthusiasm to develop my own creative ideas, activities, programs, games, lessons, etc.... all this and in the end I still get let go from my school and had to find a new school, and nobody in the english program of korea or the education ministry even knows or cares what I do as an english teacher for my kids and the schools.   

It's really tough to live up to my own standards now...I set the bar way too high and now I need to take it down a notch and not be so passionate and enthusiastic and selfless.   Remember the old Chinese proverb....the nail that sticks out gets hammered.

yep. you also see stuff like people on legal advice forums complain about them putting in 10 years of work at their jobs, and their employers still trying to screw them out of severance. imagine that. sorry you had to change schools, by the way. same happened with me when i worked with SMOE

You sound like you have a real passion - I wouldn't waste it here. Have you ever thought of getting a license and teaching internationally/in your home country?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Maybe someone higher up didn't like students playing Nintendo Wii during the English camp or just at school period?

And I kind of agree.

The kids have way too much screen time playing non-educational video games as it is, both on their cellphones and on their home computers.

Better to reduce that.

For a guy who is so dedicated and concerned about always doing more for his kids you should probably stop constantly posting here. Instead use the significant amount of time you currently use blowing smoke up your own arse  to create and make better materials for class.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul

And I kind of agree.

Better to reduce that.
can you please share some of your own materials that you've made, so we can see how it "should" be done?

• L I
  • The Legend

Making materials for some of the day is better than none. Which is the case for many (most?) it seems.

I uploaded many PPTs to this site.

You and other haters have uploaded none.

Think about that for a bit.

And if you want to help / contribute, go through your PPTs, choose the best, and upload.

Don't have any?

Then you're probably not as good of a teacher as you think you are.

(Very common.)

Up your game.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
Fancy PPTs with high res images does not a good teacher make. Can't see them anyway, they've been paywalled

• L I
  • The Legend

Meaning your question wasn't in good faith, it was just you being a d*ck.

If you can't see them anyways, then who are you to judge whether they are more educational or less educational than playing Nintendo Wii?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
Who are you to judge playing Nintendo wii isn't as educational as watching a PPT?

• L I
  • The Legend

In terms of English language acquisition it most likely is not.

Unless there are video games on there that teach English. 

Was that the case? Educational games were being used?

Then why was fruitloops let go?

There's gotta be a reason the school got rid of him (and you).

Because females from the United States are most preferred?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
You're the one moaning kids have too much screen time while also saying kids should use PPTs...which are also on a screen. As for my school, they lost funding and weren't hiring another native teacher. I didn't want to change schools so I just quit working for SMOE

• L I
  • The Legend

Sometimes schools say they don't have funding, non-renew the NET, then hire a different NET. It's very common lie told. In your next job - the after school program - you were fired. So maybe you're not a perfect teacher. No one is. Everyone can improve.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
Lol. All three native teachers were let go. I know that they lost funding. And the AS job was terrible (I wasn't fired anyway).

Besides, I can make up situations too: a lot of times when teachers brag about their PPT abilities it's because they are insecure about their actual teaching ability. Maybe you're not such the perfect teacher, either (see? Easy, isn't it)

Of course we can all improve, but you're the one who started it by having a go at fruitloops for playing the wii during camp

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Lol. All three native teachers were let go. I know that they lost funding. And the AS job was terrible (I wasn't fired anyway).

Besides, I can make up situations too: a lot of times when teachers brag about their PPT abilities it's because they are insecure about their actual teaching ability. Maybe you're not such the perfect teacher, either (see? Easy, isn't it)

Of course we can all improve, but you're the one who started it by having a go at fruitloops for playing the wii during camp

Well, considering I have to meet one Korean English teacher that could actually teach,I would say that is is potential for even the lowliest of foreign teachers to be a step up from their Korean counterparts. 

At was at least taking some sort of initiative...as opposed to some backwards-ass Korean teachig "PIshy" or head-down on the desk, hungover, whilst the kids are doing whatever they wish, as long as they keep the noise down. 

Just found out I'll be getting zero vacation time. They're reducing summer vacation to 1 week, and that 1 week is the week after my contract ends. Don't be surprised if your school pulls similar BS. I guess I can take time off every Friday but there goes any travel plans. I'm public school by the way.

• L I
  • The Legend

Your school - and probably most people around the  world - would prefer you donít travel because of coronavirus. But yeah, sucky situation. I feel you.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
Just found out I'll be getting zero vacation time. They're reducing summer vacation to 1 week, and that 1 week is the week after my contract ends. Don't be surprised if your school pulls similar BS. I guess I can take time off every Friday but there goes any travel plans. I'm public school by the way.

That doesn't sound very fair.  How many days are you losing?  I would contact your office of education about it.

That doesn't sound very fair.  How many days are you losing?  I would contact your office of education about it.

I have about 13 days left. I just emailed our POE coordinator. I would honestly just leave and go home but I figure 5 months of BS is worth the payout.