Read 4813 times

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Against the contract. You are owed your paid vacation days. If the situation is only 1 week of school break, I suggest you use some paid days now. Staycation.

Iím taking my days when I have no classes (mid terms/final exams/field trips) I probably wonít be able to travel due to restrictions but at least Iím getting them.

If they want you to deskwarm, make sure they know you want your vacation days.
75% of foreigners regularly hang out in Itaewon. Only about 0.001% of Koreans do.

Against the contract. You are owed your paid vacation days. If the situation is only 1 week of school break, I suggest you use some paid days now. Staycation.

Iím taking my days when I have no classes (mid terms/final exams/field trips) I probably wonít be able to travel due to restrictions but at least Iím getting them.

If they want you to deskwarm, make sure they know you want your vacation days.

I think I'll ask if I can take time off when I'm not teaching (i.e. take a Friday afternoon off) to prevent burnout throughout the semester. I'd rather come in to school during this closure since I get depressed when I stay at home all day. I see no point in using them right now when I can't go anywhere / do anything and the air is shitty every day haha.
Good idea though.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing happens a lot in the coming weeks.  "Oh, you had weeks to use your vacation days but you refused and chose to deskwarm". 

My school has confirmed a two week summer vacation but obviously no word on camps yet.  We find out in May apparently.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing happens a lot in the coming weeks.  "Oh, you had weeks to use your vacation days but you refused and chose to deskwarm". 

My school has confirmed a two week summer vacation but obviously no word on camps yet.  We find out in May apparently.

They still have to let you use your vacation days.  I will take at least 5 of them as I expect it to be short this year.  If there is any other time off and the schools want camps, that's fine.  As long as I get at least a week for me.  Otherwise, I'll load up on winter as much as possible. 

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul

I'm pretty resigned to it.  The way things are looking, no one will be going anywhere anytime soon.  I was thinking of a nice extra long weekend in Japan for Children's /Buddha's Birth/day but I've let it go.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
Initially after having to come in, the schools let many of us 'work from home'.  It didn't count as vacation days.  But, the POE brought down the hammer and late last week had the Korean teachers come in and we had to come in (NETS) from today.  Though I notice the teachers came in a little bit later this morning than they did last year.  Oh well, nice vacation or semi vacation while it lasted. 

Initially after having to come in, the schools let many of us 'work from home'.  It didn't count as vacation days.  But, the POE brought down the hammer and late last week had the Korean teachers come in and we had to come in (NETS) from today.  Though I notice the teachers came in a little bit later this morning than they did last year.  Oh well, nice vacation or semi vacation while it lasted. 

Yep, same here in Chungnam.  Last week, all teachers came to school for two days of online class 'training' and some admin to do, but from today all teachers are expected in school and everyone came.  Makes sense really as we're all expected to 'make' our online class videos.  'Distance' for students not for teachers.  Still, I got three and a half weeks 'working from home' without it affecting any contractual stuff.  Fine by me. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
Yep, same here in Chungnam.  Last week, all teachers came to school for two days of online class 'training' and some admin to do, but from today all teachers are expected in school and everyone came.  Makes sense really as we're all expected to 'make' our online class videos.  'Distance' for students not for teachers.  Still, I got three and a half weeks 'working from home' without it affecting any contractual stuff.  Fine by me. 

Yeah it was good.   I have yet to know anything about this online teaching.  Did they train you on some special features?  All I imagine is recording a class where we bring the text book up on computer TV screen and maybe do some intro ppts and word cards.  Can't really do my games via online.  Need that group dynamic and kids reaction in person.  Online classes are ideal for disciplined adults where professors lecture.  For kids, it will be rough and no way to know if they are paying attention.  Disaster.  I just hope regular classes can resume soon.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
Yeah it was good.   I have yet to know anything about this online teaching.  Did they train you on some special features?  All I imagine is recording a class where we bring the text book up on computer TV screen and maybe do some intro ppts and word cards.  Can't really do my games via online.  Need that group dynamic and kids reaction in person.  Online classes are ideal for disciplined adults where professors lecture.  For kids, it will be rough and no way to know if they are paying attention.  Disaster.  I just hope regular classes can resume soon.
1st & 2nd grade elementary will be watching TV via EBS.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200405002500315