Read 5183 times

• Samrey
  • Adventurer

• September 07, 2017, 11:31:36 am
    • Seoul
The school is closing because of safety reasons, no students or staff are coming in.
But of course "rules are rules" and the foreigner still has to come in alone.
Anyone else in this situation? It seems totally ridiculous, would refusing to go in be too much?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: EPIK teacher: I have to come in ALONE during the coronavirus closure, wtf?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 10:21:53 am »
There must be someone coming in to unlock the school. My advice show up for an hour or two then take a long lunch, maybe pop in before time to leave or not.

• Samrey
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 10:27:56 am »
The problem I have is with the (admittedly small) risk I take while walking to school.
It's just so needless, I'll only be watching Netflix at school instead of at home.
Am I overreacting? It's just the principle, why should I risk my health for some bureaucratic bullshit.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 10:49:34 am »
yeah i never used to bother even coming in if i was the only one there. nobody noticed. easier to ask for forgiveness than permission anyway

enter dematino about how it's in your contract and you shouldn't be so entitled in 3...2...1...

• Samrey
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 10:55:15 am »
I think I'm going to make it clear that I think it's a bad idea and if they still say no I just won't come in.
I've been here alone for the last 2 weeks and barely seen anyone.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 11:57:06 am »
The problem I have is with the (admittedly small) risk I take while walking to school.
It's just so needless, I'll only be watching Netflix at school instead of at home.
Am I overreacting? It's just the principle, why should I risk my health for some bureaucratic bullshit.

It's to stop you taking a last minute holiday to Japan, or a warmer country during the break.

• Samrey
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 12:37:05 pm »
It's to stop you taking a last minute holiday to Japan, or a warmer country during the break.

But why just me and not every other teacher in the school?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:39:29 pm by Samrey »

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 12:47:07 pm »
You're the foreign teacher.

You can't be trusted as much I guess.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 12:49:30 pm »
What are you teaching, elementary, middle, high?

• Samrey
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 01:00:00 pm »
What are you teaching, elementary, middle, high?

Elementary

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 02:23:20 pm »
Elementary
Generally elementary schools seem to much more sticklers about rules. Also, usually there is a minimum of like 3 people at schools all the time. Either the principal, or vice, one teacher that has been assigned to show up that day, and one person from the admin staff.

Anyways, middle, and high, schools are a lot more chill.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 02:31:47 pm »
Iím off until the 9th - Quarantine - full pay. But Iíve already decided that if the school is closed and Iím the only one going then I wonít be going in. Unpaid vacation, sick days, disciplinary action, whatever they want to do. Iím not renewing this summer so Iím not fussed either way, but if you do want to renew Iíd suggest sucking it up.

Have you contacted the MOE about it? Have you Ďactedí as though you might be sick? That might get them to tell you to stay home.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Samrey
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 02:36:47 pm »
I've been at the school a while, I'm comfortable they won't not renew over this, and if they did then who cares.

They've told me I need to use my vacation days, which is a bit rich because I won't be leaving my house let alone going on a vacation.

Will think about contacting the MOE thanks,
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:50:32 pm by Samrey »

• CallinIn
  • Adventurer

• January 30, 2018, 01:57:54 am
    • USA
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 03:37:47 pm »
This is the case for all public-school contract teachers (Korean and foreign alike) from what I've been hearing.  One of my CoTs are contract and she has to use her vacation days as well.
Most of you fellow teachers aren't on contract, so they don't have to follow the same rules.
But yeah, right now it's use vacation days of deskwarm. The MOE probably won't do much aside from saying that it's at your school's discretion.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 04:18:16 pm »
The MOE probably won't do much aside from saying that it's at your school's discretion.

OR they'll start cracking down on all NETs. (We've seen that happen before.) Best to not contact them.

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 04:37:21 pm »
My school is making all the teachers come in - are you in Daegu/Gyeongbuk area where there's a lot of cases?
I'm starting to think re-opening on Mar 9 is a bit unrealistic given the crazy numbers we're getting every day....

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 05:01:32 pm »
Hypothetical

1) you agree to use say, 5 days of vacation. Can you travel, say to the Middle East. (I know itís not a good idea but hey, itís your vacation time)

2) This continues way into April and all your vacation days are used up. What then.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Samrey
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 05:15:48 pm »
My school is making all the teachers come in - are you in Daegu/Gyeongbuk area where there's a lot of cases?
I'm starting to think re-opening on Mar 9 is a bit unrealistic given the crazy numbers we're getting every day....

I'm in Seoul, for some reason every teacher has to stay home EXCEPT me and a few office people.

Surely schools will be closed for weeks. There's no way I'm coming in all that time.

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 05:31:34 pm »
Hypothetical

1) you agree to use say, 5 days of vacation. Can you travel, say to the Middle East. (I know itís not a good idea but hey, itís your vacation time)

2) This continues way into April and all your vacation days are used up. What then.

If you travel overseas you're not allowed to come in to school for 2 weeks. That's where I'm at - home for 2 wks at the moment. If the school is closed, I get 70% pay, if not, then I have to use holiday/sick days. (Public school).

Actually pretty much all my vacation days will be used up. I had to extend my vacation because my flight got delayed, and I have to use some of them for quarantine. They might hit you with the 70% pay thing

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 05:33:14 pm »
I'm in Seoul, for some reason every teacher has to stay home EXCEPT me and a few office people.

Surely schools will be closed for weeks. There's no way I'm coming in all that time.

I mean if you're the only one there, I'd just not go. If you don't care about renewing then what're they gonna do.... fire you?!