Read 1399 times

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Ever quit a job after a very short time?
« on: February 27, 2020, 11:50:35 am »
https://eng.amomama.com/185780-real-life-stories-people-who-quit-their.html?amo_session=185780_3001&m=0&fbclid=IwAR2CRAxCxCHdtubQ3g_5fqFMJ8Y2fXTCHK0lm6a8mFgjtkL_VOUjrr41umM#page_number=16

This was funny and reminded me of a job I quit after 17 minutes.

I got hired by a company as a customer service rep. I figured I'd be talking to people. Nope, I was strapped to a headset and answering complaints sitting at a desk with a computer.

I started at 8:00 am Monday morning. At 8:17 I was walking out and the supervisor told me it wasn't break time. I told her I wasn't going on break. She asked if I was "going to the loo" and I said nope, I'm going home, I quit.  As she stared at the back of my head getting smaller she said I wasn't getting paid. I laughed and kept walking.

Re: Ever quit a job after a very short time?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 12:17:40 pm »
There was one job I quit after about 5 minutes. I was still in high school, and it was a temp position that I'd taken on to make extra money over summer vacation. I was supposed to play hostess for some kind of posh party at a nice hotel. The maitre d made a few lewd comments about me pretty much as soon as I walked in, and he wouldn't stop eyeing me the whole time I was there. There was also another hostess who kept giving me withering looks for some reason, but she wasn't a temp like I was, she was full-time hotel staff. And mind, I was wearing a 3-piece suit provided by the hotel, so there was nothing that could even be mistaken for inappropriate about my clothes. The two of them made me so uncomfortable that I decided the extra money wasn't worth it, so I turned around and left. Told the temp office about it, and I never came back.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:20:21 pm »
I'm too sexy for my job'....

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 01:24:15 pm »
I'm too sexy for my job'....
hand or blow

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 01:41:00 pm »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 08:18:10 pm »
I was a newspaper journalist hired by The Ticker News Network in Winnipeg in the summer of 1998 to provide immediate sports info to sports bars in Florida (the company had a sweet statewide contract, hence the urgent need for reliable quick reports and the high pay position). Now, I love hockey, football and tennis. I had covered basketball and volleyball. My timing was awful. In June, the best I could hope for was tennis but i was immediately informed that senority had dibs on that. I walked in to a wall of about eight baseball games on tv screens and a row of guys typing up what was happening in real time. The only other option was horse harness racing (not awesome horse racing but guys sitting in carts with long whips).

I stood there for about 10 minutes, stunned. I mulled everything over. And then I simply walked out.

Weeks later I took a features editor job at a weekly that paid less but gave me a year of joy covering whatever local events I wanted, in depth with a budget for help. My girlfriend lamented the lower pay and longer hours. She ended up a casuality of my wise decision.

Now, if i had liked baseball, my life would have changed directions drastically.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:21:50 pm by VanIslander »

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 02:17:32 am »
he wouldn't stop eyeing me the whole time

Chinguetti hot teacher confirmed
incumbo studiis

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 07:29:38 am »
Chinguetti hot teacher confirmed

Hardly. :laugh: I looked 12 at the time. People were still offering me the kids' menu whenever I went to restaurants with my parents.

Made the whole experience that much more creepy.  :cry:

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 11:15:13 am »
Shortest was probably a day. I was in my teens and got a job at a surf shop, in the city. This was the early 2000s, when surf clothes were in, and these types of surf shops made all their money selling clothes, not equipment. Some friends warned me about working there as the manager was a fat short guy who had a reputation for overworking youngsters, I didn't listen.
I was instructed to organise the MASSIVE stockroom and spent a solid 6hrs doing nothing but lifting heavy boxes and unloading deliveries. Problem was, the manager kept screaming at me to move quicker and I had no break. Whenever the manager would see me working, he would always joke to whoever was within earshot that 'youngsters these days are lazy and need to work hard'.

Eventually, I finished at 3, then had to man the floor for an hour before I was allowed to get something to eat at around 4. I went across the road to get a pie and standing in the queue was the last thing I remembered. I remember opening my eyes and looking up at a bunch of strangers, I'd passed out from dehydration and exhaustion, the fall left a gash on my head.
Got my pay and went home.

I promised that if I started a business and employed teenagers, I would never treat them like shit.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 11:58:37 am »
Someday you'll make a business that employs teenagers?

A surf shop?

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 10:02:46 pm »
Someday you'll make a business that employs teenagers?

A surf shop?

Catering, retail, deliveries etc. plenty of businesses employ teens. Who knows if I'll open one in the future. I don't plane on doing ESL forever.

Surf shops... shops that sell surf related clothing, equipment and goods.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 02:48:24 pm »
I was a newspaper journalist hired by The Ticker News Network in Winnipeg in the summer of 1998 to provide immediate sports info to sports bars in Florida

I was also a newspaper journalist in 1998, in the UK. I similarly got offered a job reporting on matches. I quit before I began though. Not my cuppa tea.

Journalism sounds glam but i never really regretted leaving it. I chose esl because I wanted to extend my backpacker lifestyle into something similar but more comfortable.

I always liked ESL. It lies about halfway between freedom and a proper job.

Shortest was probably a day. I was in my teens and got a job at a surf shop,

I quit picking grapes on a farm in Australia after about an hour, as I didn't like the bosses attitude. He raised his voice at me and I gave it him back. Then I sat out and asked to be taken home.

He drove me back at lunchtime. He looked at me with respect and said "you're a good man".

Catch my drift?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 03:14:42 pm »
A number of years back before I returned to public school I had worked at a hakwan that went under after a couple of months.  I had been given a letter of release and allowed to keep the apartment for another month while I job hunted.  I had an interview at a posh looking kindy up by Seoul National University of Education station.  They already had one foreign teacher and told me that they didn't need another full-time teacher so couldn't offer 2.5, but rather 2.3 because of that.  I accepted, as I assumed low balling for not needing a full-time teacher would give me a lighter schedule.  When I came in around 9am the following workday I was given the schedule in the office with the head teacher and the other native teacher.  I was surprised to see that the classes were split evenly between me and the other native teacher.  I explained to them that wasn't how the position had been negotiated and I should have less classes.  The Korean teacher said she would go and see about it with the owner.  She came back shortly and said no, it wasn't possible to change.  Now, my suspicion was she had probably just gone and powdered her nose and come back as she was young and seemed buddy buddy with the other teacher and they had made the schedule.  Anyways, this was maybe 10 minutes into the work day. When she told me it wasn't possible, I just said "Ok, bye." and picked up my bag and walked out.  I said "bye" in a friendly way and the look on their faces was pure horror.  I strolled downstairs and smiled at the perplexed looking owner and went home.  My visa wasn't through them and I didn't have their housing yet.  They had zero leverage to pull a fast one.  I'm pretty sure the one native teacher liked her schedule a little less after I walked out.   

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 11:56:33 am »
Back in the early 80's I worked as a cook on the Zapata Scotian. It was a 3 week on / 3 week off schedule. After my 1st trip out we were choppered back to Halifax. While I was on my 3 weeks off the Ocean Ranger went down with all hands lost.

Having scene first hand the complete lack and total disregard for safety of any sort, I called the boss and quit with my feet on dry land. I never set foot on a rig again.