Read 122907 times

• caesar9171
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2010, 09:09:26 pm
    • ROK
    more
Re: Grade 5, Lesson 4 - What a Nice Day! (2011, Merged with old)
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2011, 12:36:07 pm »
Here's a Little Red Riding PPT story.  Credit and respect due to whoever made it...

[MOD EDIT] Already posted in this thread by JC49, refer to page 1
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:02:07 am by Daejeon »
www.u-english.com | Free daily English challenges!

• rohski
  • Waygookin

• February 25, 2011, 09:06:09 am
    • Hwaseing si, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2011, 12:51:16 pm »
Here's a couple PPT's my friend made, I added some little things here and there.  The Adjective PPT can be used for first period.  It includes a memory game, focusing on the adjectives. 
The Matching game can be used for speaking practice.  Divide class into teams, two students per team try to find a pair, while using the key expression What a ______. 

• roro
  • Waygookin

• March 23, 2010, 01:23:42 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2011, 01:06:24 pm »
Here is a PPT I modified to introduce the lesson.  It also contains the vocabulary from the lesson and some adjectives used in this lesson.  Hope it helps!!

• JJ72
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2010, 01:01:41 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »
I have attached the following two games:

1. Clap Game: (Reading Activity) I have a adapted a game created by Jacob Boer for this chapter. The way to play is to have the students read the paragraph one word at a time. If a word has a symbol over it, the student must perform the corresponding action. A blank signifies that the student need only to perform the action. I plan on uploading versions of this game for every chapter.
2. Pass the Toilet Paper: (Speaking Activity) I have adapted a template. Few slides reviews key expressions from previous chapters.

I was curious to know how the clap game went down in class... i really want to do it, but i have no idea how the kids will like it or if i could award points for it etc...

• richarquis
  • Veteran

• November 08, 2010, 01:00:30 pm
    • South Korea, Gyeongsangnam-Do, Changwon-Si
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2011, 01:23:10 pm »
Hi all, here's a PPT for the lesson, focussing on the "What a blah-blah" construction. Firstly, there are four example slides with a phrase in English on top, a picture in the middle, and a Korean translation below. The adjectives are italicised and highlighted, so they are aware of where the spoken stress should be placed, ie, "what a beautiful flower!" Secondly, from slide #5 onwards, the slides came from a PPT my Co-Teacher gave me, I'm not sure exactly where she downloaded it from. If the creator is reading this, and sees their work unattributed, please rest assured, I would have done so if I knew who you were. If you are the one, my thanks to you.

That said, I have modified them just a wee bit - I have added prompts for the answers - The students read the words "big dog" or whatever, in Korean, and must then supply the full correct phrase "What a big dog." If they get it right, they roll a giant fluffy dice, and move their counters around on the cards I have put on the board. (Note - I haven't supplied the cards - They were made as generic scorecards for something else last year, and we just continue to use them. Easy to create something similar yourself though.)

The cards all have different animals, such as the snake, whose value is -20 points, or yogi bear, who is +50, or a unicorn, which is x4, or a crocodile, which is /2. So each team starts with 100 points, and no-one ever knows what they're going to end up on.

I've had Team A on 1200 points, positive they're going to win, while Teams B and C hovered around 300 and 200 respectively. Then Team A lands on the /4 square, dropping them back to 300, while team B lands on the x2 square, sending them into the lead, only to be trounced by team C when they land on the x4 square. This gets the little blighters screaming and cheering like crazy, it's by far the most unpredictable of the game scoring methods I've used with them, and it's loads of fun from a teacher's perspective too.

The final slide of the PPT is just "Wow! What a high Score!" so you can end the game on target with the lesson.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:27:06 pm by richarquis »

• allformat
  • Newgookin

• September 02, 2010, 03:04:06 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2011, 01:58:30 pm »
Along the same lines as the previous post with Little Red Riding Hood, here is a claymation by one of the masters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-JjbN1dWfw

You can follow up the story by asking the kids to draw the wolf in granny's clothes and label the features, writing "What big eyes you have!" and so on.

« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2011, 02:14:11 pm »
Decided to finish this lesson off with a mini class contest.

Here is the ppt.

Show the students a slide and it will have an incomplete expression (ie "What a big _____").  Based off that sentence each group will send a student representative to the front of the class.  Reveal the missing word and have a mini contest between all the students standing in the front.

Example - "What a big hand"
Have all the students life their hands up and then judge who has the biggest hand.  You can have the winner stand in front while everyone shouts "What a big hand!"

Enjoy!

• foreverJ
  • Featured Contributor

• October 05, 2010, 04:45:22 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2011, 03:16:05 pm »
So, I find the 'let's write' sections for 4th period of each new 5th and 6th grade syllabus lesson, extremely tedious. So, I've re-done it, on ppt, including sound files where needed.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:26:09 pm by foreverjinxed »

Re: Grade 5 Lesson 4 "What a nice day!"
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2011, 07:28:50 pm »
here are some files for lesson 4
hope these will help :)
I wii teach this chapter for open class, this will be very useful to me. I  really thanks to you, thanks a lot.

• kerrym
  • Veteran

• March 18, 2010, 09:52:47 pm
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2011, 08:58:29 pm »
GHOSTBUSTERS bomb game for this lesson. Thanks to Rufus for the original template!

I love this game.  Thank you so much.  It really takes me back to my childhood years.  Bet my students will have a fun time with this game.

Thanks for the positive feedback! The credit should go to Rufus! All I do is find images and adapt for different lessons. My students enjoy the game, too.

• Idunno
  • Explorer

• April 20, 2011, 10:22:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2011, 10:36:29 am »
A great game I played with the kids was make two teams A and B (my class is super small) have them race to the board and write out the sentence I read out loud. First student to finish writing and have all the correct spelling wins. The kids went nuts for this. They are very competitive!

• samitee
  • Waygookin

• September 13, 2010, 07:49:08 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2011, 11:09:25 am »
PPT with new words and sentences. There are two pictures of me that you will most likely want to remove even if you agree with the sentences about them ;)

The kids always love the addition of personal photos, even if they agree or jokenly disagree.

Enjoy.

• samitee
  • Waygookin

• Incheon
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2011, 11:11:58 am »
Oh, and a simple matching the opposites worksheet and PPT answer sheet.

• Helena S
  • Waygookin

• March 06, 2011, 10:09:37 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2011, 11:14:01 am »
To expand the lesson, here is a PowerPoint and a small writing exercise with more adjectives.

• chizzin
  • Adventurer

• August 31, 2010, 05:09:09 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2011, 11:59:03 am »
Hi all, here's a PPT for the lesson, focussing on the "What a blah-blah" construction. Firstly, there are four example slides with a phrase in English on top, a picture in the middle, and a Korean translation below. The adjectives are italicised and highlighted, so they are aware of where the spoken stress should be placed, ie, "what a beautiful flower!" Secondly, from slide #5 onwards, the slides came from a PPT my Co-Teacher gave me, I'm not sure exactly where she downloaded it from. If the creator is reading this, and sees their work unattributed, please rest assured, I would have done so if I knew who you were. If you are the one, my thanks to you.

That said, I have modified them just a wee bit - I have added prompts for the answers - The students read the words "big dog" or whatever, in Korean, and must then supply the full correct phrase "What a big dog." If they get it right, they roll a giant fluffy dice, and move their counters around on the cards I have put on the board. (Note - I haven't supplied the cards - They were made as generic scorecards for something else last year, and we just continue to use them. Easy to create something similar yourself though.)

The cards all have different animals, such as the snake, whose value is -20 points, or yogi bear, who is +50, or a unicorn, which is x4, or a crocodile, which is /2. So each team starts with 100 points, and no-one ever knows what they're going to end up on.

I've had Team A on 1200 points, positive they're going to win, while Teams B and C hovered around 300 and 200 respectively. Then Team A lands on the /4 square, dropping them back to 300, while team B lands on the x2 square, sending them into the lead, only to be trounced by team C when they land on the x4 square. This gets the little blighters screaming and cheering like crazy, it's by far the most unpredictable of the game scoring methods I've used with them, and it's loads of fun from a teacher's perspective too.

The final slide of the PPT is just "Wow! What a high Score!" so you can end the game on target with the lesson.

I like your point idea.  I have taken this and made my own board to use.  Bit of a bodge job made in paint very quickly today! But should do the job.  I will be using this in another class rather than this lesson but here it is anyway.

I will have this on the TV and play with 4 teams or so with a big dice.  I will try and use flashcards for the questions, but also thinking I could use a PPT and switch between the two. (They will have to remember where they are in the board, or have little markers there on the screen!)

Hope they like it, if so it could be used for multiple grades and units.  I like the random scoring, should motivate the lower ability kids.

• samitee
  • Waygookin

• Incheon
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2011, 12:30:05 pm »
I just made a Mario game, different from the one already up here.

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2011, 01:52:21 pm »
Here is the same ppt that rhetoric posted (thanks) but i changed the song to the Joey Ramone  version which is a bit faster.
I also put some timing on the slides.

Hope someone will find it useful.

• JJ72
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2010, 01:01:41 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2011, 02:06:51 pm »
For the writing part of this lesson i have designed an easy white board game.
Split the class into groups and make sure each group member has a least one go.
They must write sentences based on pictures, or unscramble the words and sentences on the power point.
2 points for the fastest correct answer, everyone else gets 1 point.

« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »
I'm already bored with the structure of "What a [adjective] [noun]!" so I'm modifying an adjective activity from my camp.

It's essentially a sort of reverse mad-libs at first, as we go through different pairs (or sets) of opposite adjectives, and students must choose from them and record them on their paper, numbering each one. These adjectives will then be lodged into sentences describing a monster. On one side of a piece of paper, they will write these sentences, while on the other side, they must begin drawing the monster they are describing. I'll include size adjectives, some colours, and maybe even some shapes if they're up for it. If my co-teacher pushes, these could always fit into the desired lesson structure.

Eg. show students examples and explain "thin" and "thick". Students choose one. This will then be jammed into a sentence like, "What [adjective] legs!" Students must then attach either thick or thin legs onto their monster.

At the end, I might do a gallery walk, where students stand up and show the picture to other students, or get volunteers to describe some things about their monster.
Stupid Ugly Foreigner. Read it. Guaranteed to make you laugh, make you cry, and also cure your hysterical pregnancy.

• abbyschm
  • Explorer

• September 04, 2010, 03:29:45 pm
    • jeju, south korea
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »
Here's a good bingo game. 

The students should draw their own 5x4 grid and place one of the given words in each box.  Then they'll be shown a picture and they have to make a sentence.. like "what a tall tower!"  If they have "tall" or "tower" on their bingo board, they can make it (or both!)   There are 5 possible rounds, so they should mark the boxes with just small x's in the corner.

hope you have fun :)