Read 1074 times

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Pension from Canada
« on: February 21, 2020, 11:47:40 am »
It's time for me to fill out the paperwork for my Canada Pension Plan (CPP). One question they ask is if I have worked outside of Canada and paid into a pension plan and whether I collected it or not. I did and I did.

I collected my 6 years worth of contributions when I left Korea. However, they ask for an insurance number. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? I'm assuming the insurance number I had on my paperwork when I collected.

I'm not sure I even have the paperwork anymore, it's been a long time. How could I get another copy. Would my records still be in the Korean system? To whom could I write. The pension office I assume. But where? I still have old passports so I'm sure I could find my business visas.

All I want is what Canada owes me with as little fuss as possible. I paid into it for 30 years I want some back.

I look forward to both helpful and snarky comments. I expect more of the latter.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
Re: Pension from Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 04:56:25 pm »
You might have hidden your paperwork in an old sock under your mattress...oh wait, you don't wear any, do you?  :afro:
incumbo studiis

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 11:39:47 pm »
It's time for me to fill out the paperwork for my Canada Pension Plan (CPP). One question they ask is if I have worked outside of Canada and paid into a pension plan and whether I collected it or not. I did and I did.

I collected my 6 years worth of contributions when I left Korea. However, they ask for an insurance number. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? I'm assuming the insurance number I had on my paperwork when I collected.

I'm not sure I even have the paperwork anymore, it's been a long time. How could I get another copy. Would my records still be in the Korean system? To whom could I write. The pension office I assume. But where? I still have old passports so I'm sure I could find my business visas.

All I want is what Canada owes me with as little fuss as possible. I paid into it for 30 years I want some back.

I look forward to both helpful and snarky comments. I expect more of the latter.

Does this mean you are currently drawing a pension?

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:19:36 am »
30+6 years in Korea= 36+18= 54 years old...

I'd be lucky if they let me retire at age 90...:cry:

Retire at 90? What job are you doing, Cohort 2019?

And you left 'time in the tropics' out of the equation.

LIC said he skied the Alps in '67.

That was 53 years ago.

Plus gotta be at least 60 to get Canadian pension.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 10:35:58 am »
1967? how is he still walking around barefoot, I mean how is he still walking!

All those boomers retiring means we can't really retire anymore, can we?
World's fooked anyways, so... :undecided:
incumbo studiis

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 11:38:43 am »

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 07:31:04 pm »
 :rolleyes:

Okay, a grey-haired pensionado telling the world it is going to be all right if we do some positive rethinking.. of course he is happy about things living in his boomer bubble. He is gone anyways before shit really hits the fan. And how is his message of people living longer and healthier of any help? Yes, to him it must be comforting. Infuriatingly selfish, that's what his message is.
incumbo studiis

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 07:55:21 pm »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 09:23:09 pm »
pretty sure i'll never be able to comfortably retire

i thought this was quite interesting

https://money.yahoo.com/millennials-wealth-baby-boomer-180141608.html

Millennials own 4% of all U.S. real estate at the end of last year, compared with 12.9% for Gen X when they were at the same age in 2002. Boomers held about 32% in 1990 when the middle of the generation was around 35.

Millennials also hold a smaller portion of all investments in stocks and mutual funds.

In 2002, baby boomers in their mid-30s held almost 38.6% in corporate equity and mutual fund investments. But in 2019, millennials of the same age control just 1.6% of this investing pie not including retirement funds.

Zandi said millennials may be avoiding investing as much as their parents because theyve been scarred by the financial crisis, which sunk the stock market.

But Baker thinks its simpler than that.

I think its more that [millennials] dont have the wealth to invest, he said.

edit: oh yeah. i love getting my yearly letter through to post, telling me how much pension i paid in korea, but won't be able to withdraw it. cheers uk
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:24:46 pm by oglop »

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 11:45:16 am »
I'm not retiring, I'm merely collecting my pension. I could wait till I'm 65 but why? I'll get a 2nd pension then anyway.  I can't totally stop working cuz I enjoy what I do and it fills in the hours where I may be otherwise engaged in problematic activities :-) It'll be like getting a $400/month raise for doing nothing!

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 01:32:37 am »
ok boomer... >:(
incumbo studiis

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 06:03:45 am »
Your ARC from back in the day would be the number you need to provide the Canadian Government

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 12:33:56 pm »

Social insurance or ID number?  Your Korean Alien ID number?  The Korean pension question refers to whether you are collecting a monthly amount from it which you are not because you cashed it out when you left.  (You must pay into it for 10 years to collect a monthly Korean pension at age 65.)  You are not collecting a pension from Korea so last part is not "i did".  It is "I did not".  Call the pension office and confirm. Tell them you cashed it out when you left and get no monthly pension from Korea now.  Fill out the form as if you lived in Canada and never went to Korea.  It is not applicable to you since you have no outside pension.  But your residency in Korea may or may not count towards the residency requirement for getting the "Old Age Pension" and not the "Canada Pension Plan". 

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 05:16:47 pm »

That would be your Alien Registration Number number you had while in Korea.
ARC = SIN

Cheers,

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 03:32:15 pm »
Thank you. I did cash out when I left Korea. I was very glad to get out of that country but it did put me well over the top financially and allows me to live a comfortable life with no debt. I will always be grateful for that.