Read 309 times

Applying for pension...
« on: February 18, 2020, 02:24:45 pm »
Quick question.  Can you go to any pension office to apply or do you need to go to your specific city or regional office?  I live in Gyeonggi but I will be staying in Seoul for a week and thought I'd just apply for it there.

Thanks.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Applying for pension...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 08:41:24 am »
any office

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 01:13:02 pm »
And if they ask for a "US bank passbook" (통장이)  tell them the US doesn't do those !  I also got turned away yesterday because they wanted something from my bank that doesn't exist.  Just provide a copy of a bank statement and that should be all they need.  Don't forget to bring your old passport as well as your current one, if you used that while in Korea.  Best of luck!

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 04:49:08 pm »
And if they ask for a "US bank passbook" (통장이)  tell them the US doesn't do those !  I also got turned away yesterday because they wanted something from my bank that doesn't exist.  Just provide a copy of a bank statement and that should be all they need.  Don't forget to bring your old passport as well as your current one, if you used that while in Korea.  Best of luck!

What if you have more than one old passport that you used while living/working in Korea? Do you have to bring all 3 (the 2 old ones plus the current one) with you to the pension office?

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 07:36:49 am »
What if you have more than one old passport that you used while living/working in Korea? Do you have to bring all 3 (the 2 old ones plus the current one) with you to the pension office?

I believe so. 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 08:20:16 am »
Is this new?  I cashed out previously twice, and at least once I had gotten a new passport and had only shown the newer one when applying for pension. Was never asked for an old one.  Not sure where my old one would even be from this current stretch. 

Just googled this from the NPS site:

Applying before departing from Korea (for applicants in Korea)

The person who is entitled to a lump-sum refund can apply for it prior to their departure from Korea by visiting their local NPS office with the following documents:

<Required documents>
An application for Lump-sum Refund (This form is available at any local office.)
Passport of the insured person
Alien registration card of the insured person
Proof materials of the insured personís bank account (such as a bank statement, voided check, or bankbook showing the applicantís name and account number, etc.)
Flight (or ship) ticket (the date of departure has to be within a month from the date of application)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:23:03 am by OnNut81 »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 08:49:19 am »
Well maybe the office I went to was weird.  They asked for all passports CURRENT AND OLD and USBANK passbooks.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  After getting a teller on the phone from my US bank to tell them "WE DON'T DO THOSE!" then the office was like...."umm but how do we give you money?" :lipsrsealed: and I showed them my bank statement and then they FINALLY GOT ON THE BALL WITH PROCESSING MY DEPOSIT.   :rolleyes: >:( 

So yeah if you have a weird office....go to a better one that won't ask for an arm and a leg.