Read 466 times

• dlj0775
  • Newgookin

• February 15, 2020, 12:32:23 am
Broke Public School Contract -- Looking to Come Back
« on: February 15, 2020, 12:44:15 am »
Hi guys, as the title says I broke my public school contract and moved back home last September. I did finish three contracts but unfortunately, I couldn't finish the last one because my dad had a stroke and I decided to go back home. I know if you break a public school contract you can't work in the public school system ever again but how about hagwons? I'm thinking of coming back to Korea now that my dad is doing better. I don't know if I should tell my recruiter the truth about what happened or that it would even matter. I also doubt my last co-teacher would give me a glowing reference--we didn't get along too great. Should I just not bother with coming back to Korea? I don't want to lie on my resume and I can't have a three year gap on there either.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
Re: Broke Public School Contract -- Looking to Come Back
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 10:39:54 am »
My best advice:  don't, think of your retirement etc.
But you're probably set on going, so yeah just don't mention it and say you finished a few years and went back to live with your parents but you missed Korea and you want to go back. End of story.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:43:43 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 03:23:53 pm »
Contact a recruiter. I broke a public school contract and was rehired later by the same education office.

• dlj0775
  • Newgookin

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 11:51:41 pm »
So I don't mention the broken contract? Wouldn't they find out when I put down the school I worked at? I'll definitely contact a recruiter. @thunderlips would you mind letting me know what recruiter you used, if it isn't too much to ask?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 08:28:16 am »
Canadian connections, but I contacted the regional coordinator before applying and he checked for me with the bigwigs. I left due toa family member being terminally ill, so they were understanding. I also tried to give 30 day notice or so.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 09:00:41 am »
I broke a contract twice, I just didn't mention it in my resume or to the recruiter or future school. The only way they found out was when the contracts were all signed and I was getting my ARC card at immigration and they said, "Oh, you worked at _____. I agreed and told them it was in my resume and asked if they didn't see it. Co-teacher thought she probably just missed it and it was never brought up again.

The one that I did mention I had a reason I didn't mind sharing (death of a family member) and I knew they couldn't hold it against me.

If your reason is a hellish school, though, I'd suggest just leaving it out and pretend that you never worked there. They won't find out :)

• dlj0775
  • Newgookin

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 06:51:49 am »
I broke a contract twice, I just didn't mention it in my resume or to the recruiter or future school. The only way they found out was when the contracts were all signed and I was getting my ARC card at immigration and they said, "Oh, you worked at _____. I agreed and told them it was in my resume and asked if they didn't see it. Co-teacher thought she probably just missed it and it was never brought up again.

Did you break your contract at a public school? I'm just worried to not mention it.

I did get an interview from someone at a hagwon saying they're interested but need to talk with the director. I made sure just not to mention the broken contract but kept the job in my resume. Dunno what that means.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 05:08:12 pm »
You should only list relevant work experience. Which means jobs-skills you wish to talk about.
That broken contract is not relevant.
Nobody cares about what happened at your other jobs.
I have had a similar experience once and switched to a better school but it's not on my resume.

And from my marketing days I have learnt that Korea is all about word-of-mouth recommendations instead of formalised contractual obligations. It's highly interpersonal. Just sell yourself and collect those recommendation letters from professors, directors and managers, a single recommendation letter is worth 10 jobs.

Also, please consider not going as well...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:19:12 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 05:17:47 pm »
Did you break your contract at a public school? I'm just worried to not mention it.

I did get an interview from someone at a hagwon saying they're interested but need to talk with the director. I made sure just not to mention the broken contract but kept the job in my resume. Dunno what that means.
i don't think any employer would begrudge you for going back to take care of a sick parent (glad your dad is doing better btw). especially if you completed several years before the one you broke. just go ahead and list them on your cv (although i'd probably lie by omission and not write any dates suggesting you left early)