Read 1912 times

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Re: Delay to the start of the semester? Delay to the end of the semester...
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 10:48:10 am »
I highly doubt a single week delay - that is, five days of school - will cause a massive disruption.

Schools like to do camps because they get money from the education office to do them.

The Korean teacher in charge gets paid extra money, too - the more camp hours, the more cash.

That's the incentive.

As a NET, what you want matters very little to not at all, generally speaking.

But I guess every school is different. 

That's why it's good to try and make the best working relationship with your co-teacher(s) and both the principal and vice principal at school.  Saying hi every morning and bringing them back coffee or small travel gifts on occasion really goes along way.  Plus it also helps if you are a responsible teacher that always shows up to school on time and applies themselves to the job.  If they see you as someone who strolls into work at 8:50, barely cares to make a lesson and is generally rude or antisocial with the staff than yeah your "thoughts and opinions" on school camps are going to hold very little weight.

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 10:55:06 am »
One week, no, but they'll still have to shift things around to make up for it. The easiest way to do that is to shorten summer camp, which my school has done before. I think the major concern here is that this isn't going to be for just one week, though. The forced closure could easily turn into a 2-4 week affair, and that's where a lot of my points were driving home from.

I think the only schools that would try to be unreasonable about it under that situation would be the ones where someone is pocketing the camp funds because otherwise it wouldn't matter.

But you're right, it does depend a lot on the school, your relationship with that school, and who else is involved. Even so, there is still a line that schools can't cross, and NETs who are aware of that and know how to conduct themselves well in regards to it usually have an easier time.

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 02:35:01 pm »
That's why it's good to try and make the best working relationship with your co-teacher(s) and both the principal and vice principal at school.  Saying hi every morning and bringing them back coffee or small travel gifts on occasion really goes along way.  Plus it also helps if you are a responsible teacher that always shows up to school on time and applies themselves to the job.  If they see you as someone who strolls into work at 8:50, barely cares to make a lesson and is generally rude or antisocial with the staff than yeah your "thoughts and opinions" on school camps are going to hold very little weight.
That sort of advice will likely fall on deaf ears with the "Walk around in a huff" crowd that expects the school to do them favors and follow the contract to their advantage, but never consider any favors for the school or their coworkers, constantly pick fights, and complain about having to follow the contract when it comes to their responsibilities. For those kinds of people, there is no give-and-take, only take take take, ironically like the same bosses they claim to despise for just such behavior.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 12:54:23 pm »
That sort of advice will likely fall on deaf ears with the "Walk around in a huff" crowd that expects the school to do them favors and follow the contract to their advantage, but never consider any favors for the school or their coworkers, constantly pick fights, and complain about having to follow the contract when it comes to their responsibilities. For those kinds of people, there is no give-and-take, only take take take, ironically like the same bosses they claim to despise for just such behavior.

You conveniently forgot to the mention how schools decide which laws to follow...for their benefit, pettifogger.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:09:09 pm by NorthStar »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 01:39:43 pm »
In response to the last few posts - "If your camp wasn't cancelled it's because you didn't buy your principal a gift, are anti social, late to work, picking fights, scowling, and have bad lessons" - I'd say if there's any correlation, it's actually the opposite. The cruel irony is, the better a teacher one is, and the better the social skills, the more likely they are to be more fully utilized. Meaning classes and camps less likely to be cancelled. All the travel schools will be wanting the NET come camp time. I know a NET who other Korean teachers dislike working with. Has 6 classes a week. And never seems to be doing a camp. They somehow always seem to get cancelled. (How this person keeps getting renewed I don't know.) A good teacher on the other hand would be more likely to be given the full 22 class hours and lengthy summer and winter camps to teach. (I'm not saying to be a bad teacher to lessen your work load- of course not. Work hard out respect for the students and the money you're being paid.)