Read 1001 times

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
Being mooted that the new term will now start between March 16th or March 30th (depending on location), depending on the virus. Some areas may still choose to open March 2nd.

If so, expect +2 or + 4 weeks to be added to the end of the semester.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

Re: Delay to the start of the semester? Delay to the end of the semester...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 09:32:37 am »
As I mentioned a week ago ^.

Possibly expect it to be a 4 week delay as a minimum, if so this of course impacts on when the semester would finish, then summer camps  after that...............

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 10:11:57 am »
I think they have to have around 190 days a year of school for the kids in elementary, so if this delay goes on it will possibly eliminate summer vacation.  It could mess with winter as well.  No idea what that means for contracted teachers, as it doesn't seem like we are going to be told not to come in for this delayed period.  And if we are, I don't think we'd be encouraged to take our summer vacations early.  This could be a real mess for the upcoming year. 

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 01:37:02 pm »
I think they have to have around 190 days a year of school for the kids in elementary, so if this delay goes on it will possibly eliminate summer vacation.  It could mess with winter as well.  No idea what that means for contracted teachers, as it doesn't seem like we are going to be told not to come in for this delayed period.  And if we are, I don't think we'd be encouraged to take our summer vacations early.  This could be a real mess for the upcoming year. 
yea, potential hot mess in the future. hopefully it means NO summer camp, but I highly doubt that. I require some down time in the summer before staring the fall semester.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 01:56:17 pm »
yea, potential hot mess in the future. hopefully it means NO summer camp, but I highly doubt that. I require some down time in the summer before staring the fall semester.

Actually little side note.  I've had both my main and my travel school cancel either  a summer camp or winter camp due to construction of the school.  Two years ago my main school canceled winter camp because they need to tear up the whole roof which meant I got to have longer vacation and this year it was my travel school that had to tear up the floors of the school so they cancelled my winter camp again and I got to leave earlier to my vacation.  So here's hoping for you guys that have to go through this that they just cancel summer camp all together or shorten it at least.  Because don't most EPIK teachers get 26 days vacation?  How are you guys going to play catch up on summer/winter camps and factor in your vacation time off?  Unless your school ask you to use your vacation time for this? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• monty0hm
  • Waygookin

• September 06, 2017, 08:33:08 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 02:05:44 pm »

My school had already planned a short summer break (3 weeks) due to an extended winter break for construction in 2021.  So originally this meant 2 weeks of camp and 1 week of vacation for me.
Sadly I've been informed today that due to the delay in term starting our summer break has been cut short by 1 week and I've been asked to take my vacation time now instead.

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• Gwangju
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 02:07:11 pm »
Actually little side note.  I've had both my main and my travel school cancel either  a summer camp or winter camp due to construction of the school.  Two years ago my main school canceled winter camp because they need to tear up the whole roof which meant I got to have longer vacation and this year it was my travel school that had to tear up the floors of the school so they cancelled my winter camp again and I got to leave earlier to my vacation.  So here's hoping for you guys that have to go through this that they just cancel summer camp all together or shorten it at least.  Because don't most EPIK teachers get 26 days vacation?  How are you guys going to play catch up on summer/winter camps and factor in your vacation time off?  Unless your school ask you to use your vacation time for this? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
um, I'm not sure how they can use my vacation time since I am sitting in the empty school and will be next week too. so yes, let's pray, or whatever you wanna call it, that they cancel summer camp, or keep it to a few days. I'm not interested in taking a longer winter vacay because I need my downtime in between semesters.

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• Gwangju
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 02:09:28 pm »
My school had already planned a short summer break (3 weeks) due to an extended winter break for construction in 2021.  So originally this meant 2 weeks of camp and 1 week of vacation for me.
Sadly I've been informed today that due to the delay in term starting our summer break has been cut short by 1 week and I've been asked to take my vacation time now instead.

ugh, so you get to stay home now using vacation and then work solid through the year?

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 02:11:24 pm »
Yeah, pretty sure my schools are just going to shorten or cancel camps altogether. Some people might not be happy about that, but there's nothing that can be done without eating away at my vacation, and that's not going to happen, lol. They'd have to offer me an insane amount of money to convince me to do that, and even then there's a good chance I'd still turn it down because my downtime is super important for me.

And I can't imagine camps as being important enough to most schools that they'd be willing to pay that much extra for them.

I CAN imagine some schools illegally trying to force their NETs into forfeiting their vacation days, though.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 02:15:14 pm »
Well, your contract says the school camps take precedence over the NET's desires.

So, yeah, they can make you teach an English camp.

Easily.

And just shift your vacation days to somewhere else.

Nothing you can do about it.

• monty0hm
  • Waygookin

• September 06, 2017, 08:33:08 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 02:25:11 pm »
ugh, so you get to stay home now using vacation and then work solid through the year?
That seems to be the case, yeah.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 02:56:44 pm »
Well, your contract says the school camps take precedence over the NET's desires.

So, yeah, they can make you teach an English camp.

Easily.

And just shift your vacation days to somewhere else.

Nothing you can do about it.

The contract doesn't actually say that, only that the school's schedule takes precedence, which CAN include any planned camps, but that this precedence does NOT come at the cost of the NET's rights or benefits. They want the schools to be reasonable and to compromise with the NET, and vice versa.

This can be translated as having the right to break up a NET's vacation days and spreading them out throughout the year, but it doesn't mean that a NET doesn't have some say on where those days go, and it doesn't mean that NETs must forfeit any of their vacation days in order to make it happen.

Furthermore, most public school schedules absolutely cannot accommodate breaking up too many of a NET's mandated vacation days throughout the year. They can break them up into chunks, but these chunks can only fit into so many places without interfering with the school schedule in ways that are far more intrusive than not. This leaves schools with only a few options that won't also violate the terms of the NET's contract AND labor law.

Now, if a school loses 2-4 weeks of its normal school year to required closures, which do you think the school would be more willing to part with to make up for all of that? Camps, a completely unnecessary and wholly discretionary part of its schedule, or actual curriculum-based school days? Because they'll only have time for one of these, and the offices of education won't be happy with any school that would try to get its NET to take a vacation day every other Friday JUST so that it can hold an optional camp. And, of course, no NET is going to renew with a school that would do something like that, either.

Private school and hagwon teachers have it tougher than that, of course, but I was talking about my own circumstance as a public school teacher.

And while my schools could TRY to be unreasonable about it and place far too much priority on their camps, they would run into walls for all of the above reasons. I know because I've had a few people at a couple of past schools try to pull this sort of bullshit on me, and it really didn't work out very well for them.

Long story short, as a public school NET, you do have some say, and schools can't act with impunity. They have to operate within both reason and the law.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:20:36 am by Chinguetti »

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 03:34:44 pm »
The contract doesn't actually say that, only that the school's schedule takes precedence, which CAN include any planned camps, but that this precedence does NOT come at the cost of the NET's rights or benefits. They want the schools to be reasonable and to compromise with the NET, and vice versa.

This can be translated as having the right to break up a NET's vacation days and spreading them out throughout the year, but it doesn't mean that a NET doesn't have some say on where those days go, and it doesn't mean that NETs must forfeit any of their vacation days in order to make it happen.

Furthermore, most public school schedules absolutely cannot accommodate breaking up too many of a NET's mandated vacation days throughout the year. They can break them up into chunks, but these chunks can only fit into so many places without interfering with the school schedule in ways that are far more intrusive than not. This leaves schools with only a few options that won't also violate the terms of the NET's contract AND labor law.

Now, if a school loses 2-4 weeks of its normal school year to required closures, which do you think the school would be more willing to part with to make up for all of that? Camps, a completely unnecessary and wholly discretionary part of its schedule, or actual curriculum-based school days? Because they'll only have time for one of these, and the offices of education won't be happy with any school that would try to get its NET to take a vacation day every other Friday JUST so that it can hold an optional camp. And, of course, no NET is going to renew with a school that would do something like that, either.

Private school and hagwon teachers have it tougher than that, of course, but I was talking about my own circumstance as a public school teacher.

And while my schools could TRY to be unreasonable about it and place far too much priority on their camps, they would run into walls for all of the above reasons. I know because I've had a few people at a couple of past schools try to pull this sort of bullshit on me, and it really didn't work out very well for them.

Long story short, as a public school NET, you do have some say, and schools can't act without impunity. They have to operate within both reason and the law.

Well written!  Says it all. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 03:58:18 pm »
Wishing something to be true doesn't make it so.

The school can shift vacation days to the winter.

It happens all the time.

Don't count on camps being canceled to accommodate the feelings / wishes of the NETs (who incidentally are easily replaceable / not really all that needed / desired in 2020).

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 05:09:53 pm »
12 of my vacation days need to be used by me before the 25th August. So no, the schools cannot shift them into the next contract. Those days will be taken during this summers school vacation. Or paid in full on the 25th August. (last pay day)

Edit: no idea what’s going to happen to those of you who are renewing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 05:12:37 pm by Colburnnn »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 07:21:07 am »
Yeah I going to go with most schools are going to choose to cancel camps all together and allow their NETs to take their contractual time off.  I'm sure most of you guys are like me and rather spend those days on a beach in Thailand or walking the streets of Paris than just using those days held up at your apartment.  I mean if my main school canceled winter camp all together and just let me have that time off, I'm sure there are some nice schools out there that will let some of the NETs just go and have that extra time off.  Who knows.  But yeah seeing as MOST kids don't even show up for camps ANYWAYS, I'm sure camps this year will be canceled or at least shortened. 

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 08:50:15 am »
Camps should be the first to go if schools have to re-jig the dates for this year.  I've never come across something which has the biggest gap between what it's described as and what it actually is in reality. 

Gets talked about for weeks before, non stop, plans get submitted, a million pieces of paper get printed, students in and out of the office every day.  Then when you finally start the thing...

Couldn't come because I didn't have a clean uniform.
Went on holiday with my parents
Slept in so just didn't come
Had to study in a class with another teacher
Had to clean the school
Made an appointment (this is when my actual coteachers don't even bother turning up)

All of those things regularly happen at my school.  So don't tell me that camps are important and can't be axed for one semester.

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 09:06:11 am »
Wishing something to be true doesn't make it so.

The school can shift vacation days to the winter.

It happens all the time.

Don't count on camps being canceled to accommodate the feelings / wishes of the NETs (who incidentally are easily replaceable / not really all that needed / desired in 2020).

NETs' summer vacation days all getting shifted to winter is actually not at all common even under NORMAL circumstances (which this is not), and when it does happen, it's usually after negotiating it with the NET (not demanding it). Going to repeat that NETs do, in fact, have a say. They may not be able to get everything that they want in the way that they want it, but schools can't just shaft them, either.

And in this particular case, my schools would have a very tough time being able to fit all of my vacation days in during my winter, especially after losing a potential 2-4 weeks out of their school schedule. They'd basically have to cancel winter camp in order to accommodate that anyway.

Again, this isn't just about NETs' feelings or wishes. It's also about what's both practical and doable.

I guarantee that in my own case, BOTH camps will either be incredibly shortened, or at least one of them will be canceled outright. And while there is a negative attitude towards NETs by many in this country, it doesn't nullify the fact that a lot of schools still want them and would prefer to renew a NET that they are familiar with and like than to take a chance on an unknown NET.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:19:07 am by Chinguetti »

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 10:29:32 am »
I highly doubt a single week delay - that is, five days of school - will cause a massive disruption.

Schools like to do camps because they get money from the education office to do them.

The Korean teacher in charge gets paid extra money, too - the more camp hours, the more cash.

That's the incentive.

As a NET, what you want matters very little to not at all, generally speaking.

But I guess every school is different.