Read 391 times

New teacher/teacher leaving overlap - apartment situation
« on: February 14, 2020, 11:12:46 pm »
My contract ends February 29 but the new teacher is coming February 27.  I figured I'd have to be out by the time the new teacher comes but I was curious...has anyone gotten their school to compensate the teacher leaving for a hotel?    I know it's a long shot and I don't expect to get anything but I was just curious how schools handle the overlap.

Re: New teacher/teacher leaving overlap - apartment situation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 07:09:45 am »
One of you will be in a hotel the school has to pay. Donít let them push you around.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 08:44:32 am »
You are still under contract at that time, so really they should be putting the new person in a hotel.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:03:31 am »
Your entitled to stay in your apartment until the 29th.  I discussed this with the regional coordinator.  So let the school know you will need to stay there till then if you need to.   If I were you though try to be out by 28th at night, just to make it easier on the new teacher.  I'm getting out on the 28th at night myself because I already have a hotel lined up.  My school didn't offer to pay for the hotel because it's something I reserved on my own. 

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 12:33:29 pm »
If the Employer has provided housing as part of the Employment Agreement then the Employer is providing a Dormitory.
There are a number of laws regarding that (safety, health etc) but you are to be provided accommodation until the END of your contract term.

90% of the time the Employer will get temporary accommodation for the new Employee the reason why is that the current occupant (yourself) must clean the apartment.  You are required to be out of the accommodation by Midnight of the LAST day of Employment.

You issue will probably not be asked to leave the apartment early, but will more than likely be the Employer withholding some of your Severance, or wages, stating that the apartment was damaged or not clean.  The amount that is deducted will, coincidentally, be about the same amount it will cost to put the new Employee in a Hotel for a few days.

The Employer has 14 days from the last day of Employment to pay you any deposits that were withheld, Severance, Unused Annual Leave (27 days <15 accrued during the year of Employment and the additional 12 upon completion of 1 year of Employment>), overtime and wages.  The last payment from an Employer is usually the last month of Salary and then 1.5 up to 2.5 that amount depending upon the number of day you took off.  The Employer is not allowed to withhold any Income Tax on your Severance (which is increased by 25% of your Unused Annual Leave) for that is separate tax issue.

You should ensure you have photos of the place after you have cleaned it and, with luck, you have photos of the place before you moved in.

Cheers,