Read 4547 times

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Re: Who has caused you more problems here, Waygooks or Koreans?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2020, 03:47:01 pm »
I was going to post, “if you lend somebody $100 and never see them again, it is money well spent”, but 12Mil Won a little steep!

Actually at the time I was doing lots of privates for 50K an hour.  So, I was
probably making 5-6M a month anyway.

But I won't deny it would be nice to have that 12M in my pocket right now.

Moreover, I have stopped being angry about it.  My stupidity.  Beware
of sociopaths!

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 06:42:19 pm »
Long story short.  He had a hagwon.  I needed a visa.  Then, he and his wife
left with all the key money and my money.  This was about the time when
Korea was insisting on apostilled documents.  So, I think he was a thief and
a fraudster.

I blame myself.  He was a drunk scumbag. Also, from definitions I read, a
sociopath.

Oh man...that, is rough.  I'm sorry you had to endure that. 

Do you have any thoughts on what you would say or do, if you ran into them again?

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 08:09:25 pm »
Anyway....fellow expat teachers have been troublesome, a poster for Judas, if you will.  That is mainly because many I've worked with have been new and simply don't know, thinking their efforts for unpaid overtime and dismissal of advice regarding the "conquer and divide" scenario" tactic by Korean bosses. 

But...Koran co-workers....the worst, though with a few exceptions.  And, I do mean A FEW.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 09:46:10 pm »
I was going to post, “if you lend somebody $100 and never see them again, it is money well spent”, but 12Mil Won a little steep!

I kinda feel that way about the $200 I lost to one particular jerk back in the day. Cheap lesson to learn, others have lost a lot more.

Easily foreigners.

Yeah I do find other foreigners much more judgmental and opinionated than Koreans.

Catch my drift?

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 10:01:33 pm »
She was a complete nutcase, her friends knew it too actually. She chose me because I actually did stand up for myself and called her out.

Think the line was something like, I could hit hit you guys in the face and there is nothing you can do about it. I said, well you’d be out cold on the floor if you did that to me (of course in reality I wouldn’t) but I made a point of it.

Red flag to a bull. (She even had the telltale nose ring) I probably would leave her to it sober but I’d had a few. Friend had to drag her off me, the nutter.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 07:50:19 am »
Not as bad as SPQR but still fairly annoying...

In 2010, I worked in a middle school with a high school attached.  There was a guy there who I'd known since I came to Korea, so a few years.  Anyway, his father fell ill and then unfortunately died.  But as it was the time of the World Cup in South Africa, the tickets were kind of expensive and he couldn't book them as he had no credit card.  So I offered to, I'd be happy to help someone in that situation as I'd expect others would with me if I were in a similar situation.  Think they were around 1.6 million or so.  So I did, and he gave me the 800 000 won or so that he had.  He went back for the funeral etc and then came back and then as his contract would be finishing in the summer he had to go back to SA to help sort out his mum and family affairs, so finished his contract.  No problem.  But then he went back and we ahd email contact for a bit.  With things like this, I don't get in a tizz.  I'd always told him, that pay me back whenever you can.  But don't ignore emails and losing contact.  There is no hurry, I'm not that bothered with the timescale.  But he just fukced off and ignored me still owing me 800 000 won.  I sent some mails seeing how he was getting on but got nothing back after the initial few.  Lesson learned?  Not sure.  Was kind of a situation where you'd want to help someone out and I'd known him for a while.  He was a QT in SA and was fine to get along with.  But don't just start not replying to emails.  I'd said there was no hurry.  Be on his conscience that someone helped him out when he needed it.  Bad karma.  I heard that in 2014 or so he was back in Korea in the Ansan area.  Thanks Daneel Carolissen. 

There was another story, and she worked at the same school a couple of years after Daneel.  She was there for a couple of years and we were good friends.  She went back home at the end of her contract as she was going to transfer to a different school in a bigger city.  But when at home she was diagnosed with breast cancer so started her treatment.  As she wasn't coming back to Korea, I shipped her four boxes of stuff she'd left at my school.  Cost about 550 000 won.  We had a lot of contact while she was doing her treatment and I completely trusted her.  She had money problems though with not working and having a crazily dependent mum.   But again lost contact.  I'm not annoyed at her, more worried as she said things were going well treatment-wise.  We lost contact in 2015 or so. 

Lesson learned?  Don't think so.  Both examples of helping someone in need.  Like I said, I'm really laid back when it comes to things like this.  Don't lose contact with the person who helped you.  Someone helped you out, do them the courtesy of keeping in contact, even if things are difficult at home.  Pay it back 3 years later, 5 years later whatever.  But don't just do a runner. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 08:05:29 am »
Like I said, I'm really laid back when it comes to things like this. 
I'm hungry. Can you wire me 10 000W?
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 08:17:08 am »
I'm hungry. Can you wire me 10 000W?

Erm, bit much that.

2000 won for you would get you a pack of 오이고추 and some 쌈장.  You'd be happy with that.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 08:38:11 am »
Erm, bit much that.

2000 won for you would get you a pack of 오이고추 and some 쌈장.  You'd be happy with that.

Can I have a Banana Milk, too?
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2020, 10:07:07 am »
Yeah I do find other foreigners much more judgmental and opinionated than Koreans.

This is part of that weirdness I mentioned before. Koreans are just as opinionated and judgmental as anyone else, they're just not very willing to voice them to anyone outside of their circles, but a lot of of the foreigners in Korea specifically are unusually aggressive, hostile and suspicious.

This might have come as a result of being screwed over by other shady waegs and/or feeling too isolated or alone, but I feel like a lot of it is also rooted in problematic personality traits that traveled with them here, too. They're also a lot more likely to fall into exclusive cliques, which admittedly exist everywhere, but I have never come across them to the extent that I have here. No idea if this is supposed to be a survival technique for them or if it's just a symptom of other issues they have. Probably both, depending on the overall communities here and there. Like the foreigner community in my own town is fairly toxic and childish. Still lot of good peeps here, but they keep to themselves, or they hang around the ones you don't want to associate with, so you're kind of stuck.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 10:29:44 am »
She was a complete nutcase, her friends knew it too actually. She chose me because I actually did stand up for myself and called her out.

Think the line was something like, I could hit hit you guys in the face and there is nothing you can do about it. I said, well you’d be out cold on the floor if you did that to me (of course in reality I wouldn’t) but I made a point of it.

Red flag to a bull. (She even had the telltale nose ring) I probably would leave her to it sober but I’d had a few. Friend had to drag her off me, the nutter.

I would have reminded that lot lizard that she was no longer in the West...

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 05:40:15 pm »
Oh, I forgot about those lot lizards. 

I bet they would not believe in equality if they jacked up on the jaw....they are all the same, nasty "women".

Translation: "WHY WON'T WOMEN GO OUT WITH MEEEEEE"
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 08:30:30 pm »
Translation: "WHY WON'T WOMEN GO OUT WITH MEEEEEE"

Women go out with me...just not nasty ass, ball busters.

...bitches cannot have their cake and eat it too...which is why I don't date, or pander, to those types.  I'll leave that to the skinny-jean wearing soy boys.

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 05:44:58 am »
Women go out with me...just not nasty ass, ball busters.

...bitches cannot have their cake and eat it too...which is why I don't date, or pander, to those types.  I'll leave that to the skinny-jean wearing soy boys.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2020, 02:00:16 pm »

And then this feminazi slammed her Doc Marten onto the gas pedal of her Volvo all festooned with "Mean People Suck" and "Free Tibet" stickers, drove straight to the L7 concert and later performed a Wicca ritual. Women these days...

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 04:28:54 pm »

I would have reminded that lot lizard that she was no longer in the West...

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2020, 03:13:21 pm »
No question, waygooks. In 6 years I never had an issue with Korean co-workers or colleagues. And, although I had very few issues at all, the huge majority of the issues I had were with white South Africans.

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 08:45:17 am »
1) Korean co workers. - There's always a power struggle to dominate and belittle. Koreans outside of the workplace though, awesome people!

2.) foreigners that borrow money and are constantly broke and making up sob stories for more money - I found myself in a pinch when I returned to Korea I literally had 10 000 left for the week and this person I had lent about 1 mil to from my savings, couldn't even help back. I initially lent it because of her pets and she was going to be homeless. Still waiting to be paid back, which I know will never happen.

also, foreigners married to Koreans or want to be Korean. Not saying all, but those I have met seem to always be absolute assholes always making excuses for asshole behavior. I had met a wife of a Korean once, and she defended a male co-worker's sexual harassment! She basically said that it's part of their male dominant culture, what can one do but to just ignore it :O
And not to mention the gossip! You think you make a friend here and confide in one only to find out you made the news in their wives of Koreans or Mom's circle.
Had* a bat-shit crazy friend that was obsessed with being Korean, down to the weird eye make-up, if you have one of those friends, don't make the mistake of having an opinion that's opposed to k-pop or some Korean dishes, they will defend it to the ends of the earth.

It's already hard to make friends here, why are people like this ?!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2020, 11:54:35 am »
I noticed that the discussion was mozying off topic, so I split the thread. You can find the discussion about "Are people on waygook super racist or something" over here... for a while, at least.  :wink: