Read 4007 times

Teaching Jobs in Hawaii
« on: February 06, 2020, 02:22:22 pm »
I previously posted a thread about the need for special education teachers in Hawaii.
Now I have been seeing ads on the internet regarding teaching positions available in
Hawaii which transcends special education. They need math teachers, and Elementary
teachers in Hawaii.

I wonder if I should apply to teach in Hawaii? Perhaps not, because I have read the faults
about life for teachers in Hawaii. The cost of living in Hawaii is too darn expensive, and
even the highest teacher's salary cannot sustain the high cost of living there. I have read
about how teachers are working and living there and yet they cannot afford to have any
savings for retirement or any emergencies, they cannot afford to live in one place alone
because of the high cost of rent, and there is one testimonial of a teacher who is renting
a shared place with others, and that place is a dump.

I don't want to apply to teach there and wind up in a situation of not having enough money
to save, nor do I want to live in a crappy housing unit for so much.

As for the the work of teaching itself, how is the work teaching in Hawaiian public schools?
The fact that Hawaii is a beautiful tropical paradise, it sounds inviting, but I just hate to have to
be faced with the high cost of living and not be able to have any fun on my down time.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Re: Teaching Jobs in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 11:36:09 pm »
Are you American too? Most jobs won’t sponsor a visa.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:17:28 am »
From my recent experience subbing in the US, teaching here is a nightmare and not worth the pay.  The students and their parents run the schools; it takes six steps for a student to receive punishment, which consists of in-school suspension.
As a result the schools are being hollowed out, all the good students who can leaving for private or charter schools that may not provide exceptional educations but at least offer classes there are not constantly disrupted by students hellbent on making trouble.

The teachers look beat down. And if you think foreign hagwon teachers dress bad, you ought to take a gander at teachers in the US. But I think it's an economic rather than style choice.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 08:48:28 am »
Full time teachers are paid way more than subs.

Those with teaching certification get first choice of the best schools to sub at.

I subbed before. Students from the schools in the wealthier areas had such good behavior. I liked teaching them.

Students from the inner city ghetto poorer areas were much ruder and stupidier. I hated teaching them.

Aren't you in your 60s, gogators? Substitute teaching must be tiring.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 08:48:34 am »
Thanks for the responses so far.
In my scrutiny I would have to give it a no.
Even with me being Canadian I am not
even going to bother with getting a green
card just to work in a place where living
cost is high and my salary does not catch up
to it. If it means a teacher blacklisting of
Hawaii I would go that far.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 12:20:09 pm »
I just have to say that waygook just isn't the proper forum to ask this question in.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 02:17:45 pm »
Students from the inner city ghetto poorer areas were much ruder and stupidier

About that...
Does your wife submit to you?

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 02:18:45 pm »
I just have to say that waygook just isn't the proper forum to ask this question in.

What a surprise. Mr C comes in with a negative response to a POC's thread. Not saying you're a racist, but.....
Does your wife submit to you?

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 07:24:57 pm »
I know there's a teacher shortage in the US but I haven't heard that schools are sponsoring visas for random people from countries like Canada. There are some schools in places like Arizona that bring over teachers from the Phillipines but it's not a widespread practice, and they do it because they want to pay the Filipinos less than Americans.

Meanwhile New Zealand has a teacher shortage and is hiring certified teachers from other English-speaking countries, and sponsoring their visas etc. The school year starts in January so you'd probably have to wait until next year to start work.

Anyway as usual with ForeverParadise topics I imagine he'll ignore my advice, come back to it 3 months from now and reconsider it, then come back to post in 6 months to tell us how he doesn't want to go to New Zealand and instead has taken another job in Asia.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:26:39 pm by MayorHaggar »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 08:00:01 am »
What a surprise. Mr C comes in with a negative response to a POC's thread. Not saying you're a racist, but.....
Whatchu talkin' about Willis?

Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 02:03:25 am »
Full time teachers are paid way more than subs.

Those with teaching certification get first choice of the best schools to sub at.

I subbed before. Students from the schools in the wealthier areas had such good behavior. I liked teaching them.

Students from the inner city ghetto poorer areas were much ruder and stupidier. I hated teaching them.

Aren't you in your 60s, gogators? Substitute teaching must be tiring.
Is that you, Capt. Obvious?

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 10:42:06 am »
I know there's a teacher shortage in the US but I haven't heard that schools are sponsoring visas for random people from countries like Canada. There are some schools in places like Arizona that bring over teachers from the Phillipines but it's not a widespread practice, and they do it because they want to pay the Filipinos less than Americans.

Meanwhile New Zealand has a teacher shortage and is hiring certified teachers from other English-speaking countries, and sponsoring their visas etc. The school year starts in January so you'd probably have to wait until next year to start work.

Anyway as usual with ForeverParadise topics I imagine he'll ignore my advice, come back to it 3 months from now and reconsider it, then come back to post in 6 months to tell us how he doesn't want to go to New Zealand and instead has taken another job in Asia.

I would take a job in New Zealand lest I get a contract in either Canada, Kuwait, or have my contract renewed in Taiwan. I just need the right source.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 03:01:25 am »
I would take a job in New Zealand lest I get a contract in either Canada, Kuwait, or have my contract renewed in Taiwan. I just need the right source.
NZ is a beautiful country.

They've had teacher shortages before. One time was when there was a mass exodus to the UK for higher pay.