Read 822 times

Changing E2 to F6 (2019/2020)
« on: January 29, 2020, 04:08:15 pm »
Hi, I have some questions regarding the F6 visa. I went to the immigration office in Seoul about 4 weeks ago to change my E2 to F6. It has been over 4 weeks and I have not heard back from the office.

All the post I found regarding E2 to F6 is over a year old.

Did anyone recently change from E2 to F6? How long did the process take?

Do they call you if thereís a problem? I have not received any calls for more paperwork.

They did not take my E2 ARC card when I applied for the F6, is this normal?

How do they contact you once they have the result ?

Anyone here have any experience at SEOUL office ?

Sorry for all the questions. Im freaking out right now because it has been over 4 weeks. Any information would be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:55:47 am by xnrlxnicole »

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Changing E2 to F6 (2019/2020)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 07:43:57 am »
In for info. Will be needing it in the next few weeks.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 08:07:55 am »
From what I know..

Did anyone recently change from E2 to F6? How long did the process take?

Can take up to 8 weeks

Do they call you if thereís a problem? I have not received any calls for more paperwork.

If you submitted all the paperwork then I doubt they'd need to call you.

They did not take my E2 ARC card when I applied for the F6, is this normal?

Normal

How do they contact you once they have the result ?

They don't.  You just get your new card delivered to the address you gave them.  Possible you get a message from the delivery company.

Sorry for all the questions. Im freaking out right now because it has been over 4 weeks. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Don't worry at this stage, it's a little over 4 weeks.  Give it a couple more weeks. 

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 08:13:23 am »
I just switched in December. Every immigration office will be different in their timing and other little aspects, so I can only tell you how it went down with the Pyeongtaek office. Also keep in mind when you apply makes a difference too. If you apply from January-March they are really busy with all the people renewing visas so it will take longer. For me the total amount of time from submission to being approved was like 2 weeks and then I had to wait until my new ARC was ready to be picked up, so total I'd say 3 or 3 1/2 weeks. All communication was via text messages to my husband and myself. We had one thing that was missing on his end (some tax paper from his work I think) so the agent let us know through text and gave us time to fax it to her. They took my ARC when we submitted everything, but I don't know if that is protocol or not. They will most likely contact you via text or email (I don't remember getting any phone calls but my husband did call them).

I think you shouldn't worry too much. Right now is their busy season and I would imagine the Seoul office is the most busy. I've heard from other people that it took 2-3 months for their visas to be approved. You can also check the status on the immigration site if you have the receipt date and number I think. If you have anymore questions I'll try to answer the best I can. Hope this helps!

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 08:29:31 am »
I'd also like to add that they will contact you with an estimated time to come back to get your new ARC when it's finished. This is only if you did not choose the delivery option. I chose to pick it up at immigration because my husband happens to work nearby the office and if you sign the receipt form they gave you with your picture on it your spouse is allowed to get it for you. In my case when I got my original E2 ARC my co-teacher had me choose delivery, but if you're not home when they deliver it they return it to the post office and you have to go in with ID and pick it up. Where I live the post office closes before I even get off work so it's a pain in the butt.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 02:43:19 am »
I did mine in Seoul.  Six days after applying i received a text stating my application for the f6 visa was successful. And it would be available for pick up after 2 additional weeks.

But i wouldnt sweat it just yet. Give it another week or 2

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 10:22:31 pm »
It can take months to go through be patient.

Some guys I know took over 3 months, no kids and just married was most likely the culprit.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 10:45:41 pm »
It can take months to go through be patient.

Some guys I know took over 3 months, no kids and just married was most likely the culprit.

What are you talking about???

When people get married, they tend to be "just married" with no kids.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 10:47:49 pm »
It just depends on the office you register at and the time of year. I was told the maximum time would be three months. I got mine in two weeks (in Seoul)

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 05:50:42 am »
What are you talking about???

When people get married, they tend to be "just married" with no kids.

Lots of E2 visa holders have girlfriends with kids and eventually get married.

An F6 Visa is a big commitment, although a lot of people here donít think it is.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 08:42:34 am »
Lots of E2 visa holders have girlfriends with kids and eventually get married.

There are some, but that is not the norm at all. And even if it was, why would immigration fast-track an application if someone marries a (most likely) divorcee with kid(s)? That is somehow preferred over the conventional way?
Where are you getting this from?
Also, irrelevant though but E2 visa holders switching to F-6 visa is drop in the ocean of all korean-foreigner marriages.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 09:49:35 am »
You can check the status of your visa application on the HiKorea website. Go to the Korean version of the website and log into your account. Go to your page and look for 민원사항. Search the dates around when you went to the immigration office and you should find your application status. You can also always call 1345 to get an update on your visa application status.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 04:39:06 pm »
Updates:

It has been over 11 weeks since I applied for the E2-F6 change. Have not heard back from immigration office.  Called immigration hotline many times, each time getting a different answer. Some are telling us the average wait time is 1 to 3 months , some telling us 4 - 6 months. We visited the immigration office this week and they didn't even bother pulling up our case.  Just told us to go home and wait.  My E2 visa expires next week March 12 which means I won't be able to work until I get my F6. We asked the immigration office and they told us there was nothing wrong with our paperworks. We just have to wait.. We ask for more info and they said they cant give us. I checked my status on HiKorea and it has been on 접수중 since Jan. I am really stressed because my husband is currently not working due to a recent accident. 

Does anyone have similar situation with the immigration office ?  According to the immigration officer, there is nothing wrong with the documents/application, so why is it to taking so long ? I have had H1 , E2 visa before so why is it so hard to get approved for F6?

I am really upset and stressed right now :(

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 02:14:20 am »
I think the Korean government is more worried about a few other things right now than F6 visas.

The waiting time  period honestly could ten fold as the corona virus takes up more resources.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 10:08:56 am »
I think the Korean government is more worried about a few other things right now than F6 visas.

The waiting time  period honestly could ten fold as the corona virus takes up more resources.

I applied in December when the virus  was not that serious and I have yet gotten approval.. my friend applied in another Seoul office in February and already got reply from immigration office.. I donít think the virus play a big role in my 3 months delay .. I can understand if all cases were delayed but if my friend could get hers in 2 weeks , I seriously donít understand why my case is taking so long if thereís no problem like they said ..

My friend waited 2 weeks .. it is way over 11 weeks for me and no news ... I need to work as my injured husband canít..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:15:56 am by xnrlxnicole »

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 08:37:04 pm »
I applied in December when the virus  was not that serious and I have yet gotten approval.. my friend applied in another Seoul office in February and already got reply from immigration office.. I donít think the virus play a big role in my 3 months delay .. I can understand if all cases were delayed but if my friend could get hers in 2 weeks , I seriously donít understand why my case is taking so long if thereís no problem like they said ..

My friend waited 2 weeks .. it is way over 11 weeks for me and no news ... I need to work as my injured husband canít..

One day youíll wake up and it will be approved, donít worry.

The F6 visa takes your husbands health and income into account. You might have to wait a few more weeks or months but unless you lied or are proven not married legally you will get the visa.

Each case is different and one case may take one week while another takes 6 months.