Read 2291 times

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
I got warnings for letting the children watch trailers to movies from YouTube during media classes. The Korean co-teacher said the school could get sued and I would be charged possibly.

Another foreign teacher torrented full movies onto usb sticks. Not an eye batted by the Korean co-teacher. Favoritism was at play.

So I told the co-teacher Iíll report the other teacher and her for torrenting movies and showing them to the kids. not another word was said to me the rest of the time I was there.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
I got warnings for letting the children watch trailers to movies from YouTube during media classes. The Korean co-teacher said the school could get sued and I would be charged possibly.

what

Another foreign teacher torrented full movies onto usb sticks. Not an eye batted by the Korean co-teacher. Favoritism was at play.

So I told the co-teacher Iíll report the other teacher and her for torrenting movies and showing them to the kids. not another word was said to me the rest of the time I was there.

What goes around comes around, I suppose.  I'm pretty sure you could have dobbed that other teacher in for teaching privates to make yourself feel better.   :undecided:

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
what

Yeah is sounds similar to the same ridiculous reasons was to why we can't use Microsoft office products on our computers.  Something about we didn't buy the license and thus I don't know who but I guess Bill Gates would come after us and sue our school.  So there for we have to use HanWord products .....  I even got push back when I said I would install an Office suite on my computer that I'd paid for it (which I did)  Still there was still push back because the school solely have to deal with Hanproducts and Han products only.  Not realizing the foreign contingent of schools and companies can't open or use these products.  But I digress. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:01:29 am by Piggydee »

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul

Your co-teacher is wrong, Youtube videos can be used in the classroom under the fair use terms of youtube's copyright rules.

"Fair use allows limited use of copyrighted material without permission from the copyright holder for purposes such as criticism, parody, news reporting, research and scholarship, and teaching."

I can't imagine fair use exists in Korea. There seem to be no copyright laws at all.

In any case Koreans are notorious for making up completely BS excuses for things they don't want to explain, like "grandma died because fan death" instead of "grandma was an alcoholoic and had a massive stroke."
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
I can't imagine fair use exists in Korea. There seem to be no copyright laws at all.

South Korea is a signatory of the Geneva Convention and a member of WIPO.   Enforcement can of course vary by country, but Korea has a copyright commission, and it is certainly true that TV and radio channels follow the rules, though perhaps not your local hof.  Fair use is a thing here. 

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Yeah is sounds similar to the same ridiculous reasons was to why we can't use Microsoft office products on our computers.  Something about we didn't buy the license and thus I don't know who but I guess Bill Gates would come after us and sue our school.  So there for we have to use HanWord products .....  I even got push back when I said I would install an Office suite on my computer that I'd paid for it (which I did)  Still there was still push back because the school solely have to deal with Hanproducts and Han products only.  Not realizing the foreign contingent of schools and companies can't open or use these products.  But I digress. 

Anti-google used to be big in Korea!

Google was and in some cases is still seen as anti-naver.

Google chrome was constantly deleted from the computers

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Google chrome was constantly deleted from the computers

The amount of times I've been looked at like a two-headed cow for using Chrome and VLC is timeless.

JuSt UsE GOmpLaYer KeVIn!

Nope.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Imagine the fun had by all when you send a HANword file or a HANspreadsheet file to an overseas investor or company that needs to network with you  :laugh:

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
South Korea is a signatory of the Geneva Convention and a member of WIPO.   Enforcement can of course vary by country, but Korea has a copyright commission, and it is certainly true that TV and radio channels follow the rules, though perhaps not your local hof.  Fair use is a thing here. 

From what I've seen, I'd say it functions like the traffic laws.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
From what I've seen, I'd say it functions like the traffic laws.

It seems like they only care when it's Korean media being used somewhere. If you've ever watched any Korean TV (especially variety shows) they tend to brazenly use sound clips from blockbuster movies and clips of songs. They definitely didn't go through the proper channels for that.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
It seems like they only care when it's Korean media being used somewhere. If you've ever watched any Korean TV (especially variety shows) they tend to brazenly use sound clips from blockbuster movies and clips of songs. They definitely didn't go through the proper channels for that.
Not sure. They tend to use the same 7 sounds. For everything. so I reckon they were too stingy to pay for any more than those 7

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
They definitely do.  There will be a lump-sum agreement with ASCAP etc.   Sort of like how Trump can use REM's music over their objection.  It's a liscensing thing.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan

Hanguel sucks and has no English options.  Why not just switch to office to synch with the rest of the world?

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
I think the chick showed some graphic video of eating flesh or cannibalism to kindergarten kids.  It's a bit over the top to arrest her.  But she should have been shit canned and given a warning.  You don't show crap like that to toddlers.  Have a f@ken clue!

Bill Gates wouldn't come after you, but Microsoft Korea might if they found out about large scale piracy by an institution.