Read 3890 times

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Desk warming and I thought I'd stir the pot LOL  I'm not sure if this has been posted but please link me to the thread so this can be merged with that one. 

Thoughts?  I really want to know who this girl is.  I'd like to hear her side of the story. 

https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/korean-parents-canadian-english-teacher-arrested-child-abuse-showing-bbc-video-human-flesh/

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

Alright, which of you fellow degenerates saw that title and thought something else?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Alright, which of you fellow degenerates saw that title and thought something else?

Just you.

[not]

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Thoughts?  I really want to know who this girl is.  I'd like to hear her side of the story. 

She was  quite unwise, although deciding to show an educational BBC documentary video on a certain subject after kids have discussed it is, maybe, just within the realms of acceptability and forgivability.  A lazy teacher trying to fill in some time at the end of a long day might plausibly knock on such a video thinking that the kids would find it amusing.

Why did the police "arrest her immediately" before they had even investigated? and why is the charge 'child abuse". To understand this type of witch hunt you have to realize the extent to which the korean public has  been poisoned against foreign teachers and conditioned to view them suspiciously by the anti-foreign media.  There is also the age-old inferiority complex by which koreans love to catch the supposedly superior westerners doing something wrong so that they can get to feel superior by criminalizing them.

Many Korean teachers select horrific horror movies to show little kids at halloween which contain scenes far worse. Why are they not penalized?

Catch my drift?

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul

Many Korean teachers select horrific horror movies to show little kids at halloween which contain scenes far worse. Why are they not penalized?

You mentioned this in the other thread.  Can you be specific?  And also not just make stuff up, but demonstrate that it was actually shown in an elementary classroom?

Thanks so much.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
You mentioned this in the other thread.  Can you be specific?  And also not just make stuff up, but demonstrate that it was actually shown in an elementary classroom?

Thanks so much.

I'm not talking about  elementary schools. Hogwons. They all show horror movies to kids every halloween.

Are you some sort of investigator?

Ok Sherlock just go round the hogwons on October 31st. You'll see them screening any number of extremely disturbing, disgusting and twisted movies to kids. But it all gets a free pass because its halloween!
Catch my drift?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
I once worked at a public school where my young co teacher decided it would be a good idea to play a korean movie with full nudity and sex scenes in it. Most of the kids already knew the movie and had seen it before.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
She was  quite unwise, although deciding to show an educational BBC documentary video on a certain subject after kids have discussed it is, maybe, just within the realms of acceptability and forgivability.  A lazy teacher trying to fill in some time at the end of a long day might plausibly knock on such a video thinking that the kids would find it amusing.

Why did the police "arrest her immediately" before they had even investigated? and why is the charge 'child abuse". To understand this type of witch hunt you have to realize the extent to which the korean public has  been poisoned against foreign teachers and conditioned to view them suspiciously by the anti-foreign media.  There is also the age-old inferiority complex by which koreans love to catch the supposedly superior westerners doing something wrong so that they can get to feel superior by criminalizing them.

You hit the nail right on the head!  This story plus the not to long ago story of the semi famous Korean singer who tackled that drunk American English teacher is why I think it's high time that I leave.  Plus the amount of sheer disrespect that I got from my travel school 6th graders is all I need to know that I need to switch careers. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
i saw a 5th grade homeroom teacher show a full unedited of Saw. actually, according to the kids, all the 5th grade homeroom teachers watched it with their classes

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
My co thought Home Alone 2 was not suitable, but an 18 rated movie with stabbings and shootings was.

They have no idea.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
I'm not talking about  elementary schools. Hogwons. They all show horror movies to kids every halloween.

Ok Sherlock just go round the hogwons on October 31st. You'll see them screening any number of extremely disturbing, disgusting and twisted movies to kids. But it all gets a free pass because its halloween!

So, that's a "No" then.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

To understand this type of witch hunt you have to realize the extent to which the korean public has  been poisoned against foreign teachers and conditioned to view them suspiciously by the anti-foreign media.  There is also the age-old inferiority complex by which koreans love to catch the supposedly superior westerners doing something wrong so that they can get to feel superior by criminalizing them.
In order to believe this you would need some kind of data which supports it, specifically number of negative stories about Korean teachers and arrest incidents featuring Korean teachers vs. NETs. Same with celebrities getting into altercations with drunks. You would also have to compare such things to the number of positive stories.

If you actually look at things through the lens of rationality, rather than through anecdote and the emotion of a high-profile incident, you'd realize that there are far more stories about Korean teachers and plenty of positive stories about foreigners, yo just don't pay as close attention because of bias.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
Honestly.  I sort of believe the whole Korean homeroom teachers or hakwon directors allowing scary movies to be played in class when THEY DO IT.  I once worked at a hakwon where the director put on a "Walking Dead"ish zombie mask to spook the kinders when they walked into our school on Halloween day.  I laughed real head at his dumba** when he notice "Oh the opened mouth rotten teeth zombie mask is maybe not such a good idea"  Oh but I'm the bad teacher because I don't show enough "skinship" to the children (his words)....YEAH OKAY call the cops on us  :rolleyes:

Honestly.  I sort of believe the whole Korean homeroom teachers or hakwon directors allowing scary movies to be played in class when THEY DO IT.  I once worked at a hakwon where the director put on a "Walking Dead"ish zombie mask to spook the kinders when they walked into our school on Halloween day.  I laughed real head at his dumba** when he notice "Oh the opened mouth rotten teeth zombie mask is maybe not such a good idea"  Oh but I'm the bad teacher because I don't show enough "skinship" to the children (his words)....YEAH OKAY call the cops on us  :rolleyes:
Here's the thing, and this is the case of it sucks that it's not fair, but that's the way the world is. The fact is that the Korean teachers will be able to handle any problems far easier than us, simply because of the language barrier. They'll be able to give the right warnings. They'll also be more sensitive to the boundaries. They can prime the kids better than we can (generally, yes I'm sure some of us are amazing on Korean or kiddy communication). As far as higher ups go, they're also the ones with skin in the game. If the parents all withdraw the kids and their business goes belly-up that's their call and their money.

So yeah, it's not equal and it's haphazardly applied, but there are some factors. When dealing with a situation where there is a significant language gap and high potential for miscommunication, erring on the side of caution is not the worst system for decision making.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea

What investigation do you need for something like this?

Police:  Did you show the video?
Teacher:  Yes
Police watch the video and determine if it breaks Korean law on child abuse.

Most police in the Western world arrest first and let the facts play out in a courtroom setting.  It's par for the course, no idea why you are holding Korea to higher standards, lol.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do

It's true.
To give a recent example: Chucky shown to first graders and up. Well some kids were actually kindergarten aged, and some moms were there with these youngest kids. There was a snack room, game room etc and a movie room. It's not like all the kids were seated and watched the whole thing. They were moving from one room to another as they pleased, so the little ones could easily end up seeing some inappropriate scenes. So yes, it does happen.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
It's true.
To give a recent example: Chucky shown to first graders and up. Well some kids were actually kindergarten aged, and some moms were there with these youngest kids. There was a snack room, game room etc and a movie room. It's not like all the kids were seated and watched the whole thing. They were moving from one room to another as they pleased, so the little ones could easily end up seeing some inappropriate scenes. So yes, it does happen.

Yeah I agree with the whole Chucky thing.  Most of my kids grades 1~6 know who Chucky is.  I remember when Child's Play first came out, I was frighten at the sheer thought of that movie.  And yes it was RATED R.  The FACT that they allow that  to be played but this teacher gets arrested?!?!  Something tells me she was a crusty teacher to begin with and this hakwon was just looking for anything on her to use as an excuse to fire her or worst yet find a way to have her arrested and deported by immigration.  I knew a guy that was a mediocre teacher at one of my hakwons and the boss created this whole controversy over him "physically assaulting" the students because he would playfully swat the kids over the head with his attendance folder.  One kid complained to his mom that he didn't like that and the boss used that as all the "justification" he needed to fire him.  Oh but it's okay for them to pull their middle fingers back to hit the foreheads of students.  But yeah please call the police on US.  Gotcha!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:10:45 pm by Piggydee »

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
Yeah I agree with the whole Chucky thing.  Most of my kids grades 1~6 know who Chucky is.  I remember when Child's Play first came out, I was frighten at the sheer thought of that movie.  And yes it was RATED R.  The FACT that they allow that  to be played but this teacher gets arrested?!?!  Something tells me she was a crusty teacher to begin with and this hakwon was just looking for anything on her to use as an excuse to fire her or worst yet find a way to have her arrested and deported by immigration.  I knew a guy that was a mediocre teacher at one of my hakwons and the boss created this whole controversy over him "physically assaulting" the students because he would playfully swat the kids over the head with his attendance folder.  One kid complained to his mom that he didn't like that and the boss used that as all the "justification" he needed to fire him.  Oh but it's okay for them to pull their middle fingers back to hit the foreheads of students.  But yeah please call the police on US.  Gotcha!

And the parents are just as "guilty", letting their kids watch things that they shouldn't.
My son is 6. A few months ago he said that all the other kids in his kindergarten class were talking about the latest Marvel crap. Which makes me assume that they watched it. He also wanted to see it badly so that he wouldn't be left out from the conversations. I didn't like the idea but checked out one of the earlier Marvel craps to see if it's okay for him. Hell no! In the very first scene there were half a dozen men gunned down. I won't let my son see that kind of violence at the age of 6. But apparently others don't feel the same way.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
Something tells me she was a crusty teacher to begin with and this hakwon was just looking for anything on her to use as an excuse to fire her or worst yet find a way to have her arrested and deported by immigration. 

A young North American female? Unlikely. Usually they hang on to them like a prize no matter what they do. More likely she got complacent with being treated like royalty for so long that she thought she could kill another 50 minutes with some stupid youtube vid.

Of course once a parent calls the police then they go from adoring subjects to treating her like a leper within about 2 milliseconds.

Catch my drift?