Read 3025 times

Re: Five facts about Korea
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 01:00:27 pm »
Except even factory workers are really unproductive even though they work reasonable hours and are paid well. It's not like they can get away with sleeping for hours at work or doing nothing all day like like Korean office workers would.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-hyundai-labour/hyundai-union-stuck-in-a-marriage-of-inconvenience-idUSBRE9A802K20131109
The article reflects that this is because of the age of the plant and also negotiations with the auto worker's union. Remember, that same "lack of productivity" transformed Hyundai from a car no one has heard of into an industry giant.

Do you really think Hyundai factory workers are sleeping on the job and doing nothing all day?
More workers and less productivity- two explanations
A)Koreans are lazy and unproductive
B) Automation

Hmm, I wonder which it is?

As for Norway vs. Korea
The indicators presented in this publication are drawn from the OECD Productivity Statistics (database), which provides a consistent set of annual estimates of labour, capital and multifactor productivity growth, unit labour costs and many other related indicators as a tool to analyse the drivers of economic growth in OECD member countries and emerging economies. The database includes the following indicators:

GDP per capita and labour productivity levels
Growth in labour productivity
Measures of labour input, such as total hours worked and total persons employed
Measures of capital input, as an aggregate and by type of capital good
Share of labour costs in the total cost of production
Multifactor productivity growth
Unit labour costs and labour compensation

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 04:19:43 pm »
It's not like they can get away with sleeping for hours at work or doing nothing all day like like Korean office workers would.

Do you really think Hyundai factory workers are sleeping on the job and doing nothing all day?

You're so predictable that I predicted your whiny bullshit excuse and answered it, and yet you still made that bullshit excuse.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 04:23:27 pm »
Korean food in the U.S. sucks. Tastes pretty bad compared to the food here. U.S. chicken's have less flavor and are brown for massive breasts. U.S. beef doesn't work great with Korean food and Korean food doesn't work great with a lot of European dishes.

You're a gyopo so you probably think all Korean food is supposed to be drenched in gochujang and sugar.

I will say that Korean chicken has way more flavor than American chicken, but about half of the time the chicken sold in Korean grocery stores or at restaurants is rotten. I'll take flavorless chicken over a rotting carcass any day. And no you thinking rotten food is normal does not make this okay. After moving from Korea to New Zealand it took me months for my stomach and intestines to get over the daily distress caused by food in Korea.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 12:37:11 pm »
You're a gyopo so you probably think all Korean food is supposed to be drenched in gochujang and sugar.
I'm adopted. There's a difference. Second, WTF does my ethnicity have to do with things. Third, why do you keep using ethnicity to invalidate someone's opinion?

Bashes Trump supporters for being bigots, uses someone's ethnicity as an argument against theme.  :rolleyes:

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 12:53:16 pm »
This is silly talk.

I have spent over 15 years crisscrossing the country on trips, from Geoje to Gunsan, from Sokcho to Mokpo, from Yeosu to Chuncheon, from Jeonju to Namhae, from Pohang to Wando, and I have driven past COUNTLESS fields and greenery, trees and fields and valleys galore! Get off the express highways between major conjested cities and see the space and openness and greenery.

Koreans love to clump together. The perfect metaphor for the population geography is how Korean theater employees assign seats directly around other people, so even when the theater is 70% empty of people, you are surrounded be people! (Lol. Back home the assumption is you want your own space, and you are suggested seats away from others.)

EDIT: To be fair, if by "a good chunk" you meant nothing more than the trivially true  observation that there are a lot of mountains in most provinces and a chunk could be 30% or 40%. Then, yeah. But that doesn't reflect the huge disparity between urban and rural population density rates in South Korea.

It's really easy if you own a Korando. And much more fun too.

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 12:56:32 pm »
Third, why do you keep using ethnicity to invalidate someone's opinion?

I think there's a word for that... what is it...
Does your wife submit to you?

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 12:58:12 pm »
It's really easy if you own a Korando. And much more fun too.

Small peepee

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 01:05:29 pm »
I'm adopted. There's a difference. Second, WTF does my ethnicity have to do with things. Third, why do you keep using ethnicity to invalidate someone's opinion?

Bashes Trump supporters for being bigots, uses someone's ethnicity as an argument against theme.  :rolleyes:

Explain why you think eating rotten meat is ok and normal. I've met so many gyopos, either adoptees or children of 1st generation Korean immigrants, who defend and normalize anything Korean, no matter how bad. Through this prism your nonsensical crusade makes a lot more sense. Meanwhile a lot of Koreans in Korea think that a lot of Korean things are bad and need to change. You're basically racist against your own people.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 01:19:57 pm »
South Korea's population density is 10X the global average.

Nearly 70% of Korea is uninhabitable due to its mountainous terrain.

It is homogeneous with over 99% of its population being ethnic Korean.

It has the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world.

In the OECD Korean females have the highest suicide rates.

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 01:46:33 pm »
You're basically racist against your own people.

Can you define "racist"?

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 01:52:03 pm »
Can you define "racist"?

Not anymore. The word has been so overused by PC types that it's basically synonymous with "You don't agree with me therefore you are a racist."

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 02:27:32 pm »
... it's basically synonymous with "You don't agree with me therefore you are a racist."
Wow. How many times have you been called it? If it is more than twice or three times, maybe reflect on your positions - or your language. Sometimes people try to make sociological observations and it comes across as prejudice and overgeneralizations, examples seeming like stereotypes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:31:29 pm by VanIslander »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 02:38:18 pm »
Can you define "racist"?

There are two main kinds nowadays. 'systemic racism' when someone finds out that the percentages of a certain minority group in a high status organisation don't exactly match the percentage of that group in the population, and 'individual racism' when someone agrees with a policy you don't like, such as Brexit.  However whenever someone from a minority group is accused of being a racist the definition always changes to exclusively refering to the first kind, and therefore becomes not applicable.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 02:59:38 pm »
Wow. How many times have you been called it? If it is more than twice or three times, maybe reflect on your positions - or your language. Sometimes people try to make sociological observations and it comes across as prejudice and overgeneralizations, examples seeming like stereotypes.

I've been called a racist only once in my life. It was by a white South African guy who moaned constantly about his desire for a wife who had to be white and Afrikaans. I haven't met many white S. Africans, but every single one I have met has been a complete moron, usually stupid, a creationist or hyper religious and at least moderately racist. Lots of ex-druggies too, predominantly heroin.

That's been my experience with that lot. The black and coloured S. Africans I have met have been, without exception, great people. 

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 03:34:28 pm »
There are two main kinds nowadays. 'systemic racism' when someone finds out that the percentages of a certain minority group in a high status organisation don't exactly match the percentage of that group in the population, and 'individual racism' when someone agrees with a policy you don't like, such as Brexit.  However whenever someone from a minority group is accused of being a racist the definition always changes to exclusively refering to the first kind, and therefore becomes not applicable.

I was asking MAyorHaggar. Hardly matters. NO ONE who uses the term as a thought-terminating cliché has EVER been able to offer a coherent definition for this word. Because they don't know what they mean when they say "racist". They only know that it's a useful way to get out of an argument. They think that people will just beg forgiveness, grovel, as if wielding the magic word grants them some authority over others. Never do this. Just politely ask them "What does 'racist' mean?"

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 03:38:21 pm »
All that said...... MayorHaggars obsession with race and ethnicity does kind of suggest that he is a racist. Can't say I agree with him, but I don't hate him for it. I just hope we can change his perspective through kindness and dialogue, so someday, in his own time, he can join the rest of us in 2020, where racism is no longer an acceptable position to hold.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 03:40:44 pm »

It is homogeneous with over 99% of its population being ethnic Korean.

Point of order.

Korea is only ethnically homogeneous because they have declared themselves so.

When I look at a group of Koreans, I see some Han Chinese, some Mongolians, some Japanese... it is their heritage.

Genetics don’t stop at the border!

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 06:44:11 am »
1.  Bus drivers and school owners cannot grasp the concept of moderation, when it comes to heating and A/C.  Their eyes glaze over when you tell them that there is no need to have the heat on full blast in a small, enclosed room/vehicle. 

2. Koreans look lost, wherever they are...the store, the street, etc.  They have this slow walk, no matter how many people are behind them, with this confused look on their face.

3.  It could be 55 degrees F in Seoul during the winter time, 20 degrees above normal....but folks will still put on those stupid, ugly long-coats ad act as if another polar vortex has blown through. 

4.  The land of stupid, ugly long-coats....clones.

5.  Korea is a land in which that the people are so spoiled, ungrateful and out of touch with reality, they will call and complain to the embassies of foreign nations if some trivial matter does not go their way. 

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 08:50:30 am »
All that said...... MayorHaggars obsession with race and ethnicity does kind of suggest that he is a racist. Can't say I agree with him, but I don't hate him for it. I just hope we can change his perspective through kindness and dialogue, so someday, in his own time, he can join the rest of us in 2020, where racism is no longer an acceptable position to hold.

Martin has repeatedly defended things that kill and harm Koreans, things that many if not most Koreans complain about every day. Dangerous construction, dangerous safety practices, unsafe food, bad driving, pollution etc. Martin actively tries to get Koreans killed. So who's racist against Koreans now?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2020, 09:00:08 am »
1. in public, nobody cares about anyone but themselves

this is still my biggest hate about living here. a bit of common courtesy makes everyone's lives a little easier...