Read 2146 times

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: Lizzo's impact on the world
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2020, 05:14:51 pm »
Ah right so do you think the same thing whenever Joe Rogan and the fitness industry talk about Tess Holiday or Bill Maher talks about obesity and their millions of listeners?  Are they all butthurt too?

Whatever the defintion of get 'butthurt' used to be, like many other expressions it now just seems to mean 'say something someone disagrees with online'.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2020, 06:33:03 pm »
Oh so Miley shouldn't twerk because she's white? (Because of "cultural appropriation"?) What a crock! At least she looked good doing it. Instead of repulsive.

As a privileged white male you obviously don't get this. Let me white mansplain it to you.  'Cultural appropriation is controversial when members of a dominant culture appropriate from disadvantaged minority cultures' (Wikipedia) .  Unless they're disadvantaged minority cultures who happen to be white (e.g. the Irish) or 'disadvantaged minority cultures' that happen to be dominant cultures but non-white (e.g. the Japanese or Chinese) So basically cultural appropriation is only a controversial issue when white people appropriate from non white cultures. (e.g. Miley Cyrus, or that girl in her prom dress)
And all this makes me feel extremely butthurt/triggered/whiney snowflakey.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:45:44 pm by stoat »

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2020, 06:52:32 pm »
Waygo0k is black so he talks up how great blacks are and how they're oppressed by whites. Mr. DeMartino is ethnically Korean so he defends Koreans. (He's also fat so he defends being fat.) You're white / Brit / male so you talk about how those categories are oppressed / unfairly maligned in modern society. Many Canadians like to talk about how great Canada is and how it's so much better than the United States. As an American I clap back against that. I talk about positive aspects of the USA. As an athletic person, I talk about how obesity is disgusting. People's opinions are colored by their background / who they are.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2020, 06:58:39 pm »
Waygo0k is black so he talks up how great blacks are and how they're oppressed by whites. Mr. DeMartino is ethnically Korean so he defends Koreans. (He's also fat so he defends being fat.) You're white / Brit / male so you talk about how those categories are oppressed / unfairly maligned in modern society. Many Canadians like to talk about how great Canada is and how it's so much better than the United States. As an American I clap back against that. I talk about positive aspects of the USA. As an athletic person, I talk about how obesity is disgusting. People's opinions are colored by their background / who they are.

Here's a tip.  Try to agree or disgree with ideas based on their merit as ideas, rather than your race, age, gender, nationality etc..
If someone disagrees with you, try not to immediately assume it's because of their race, age, gender, nationality etc.. but try to find out the reasons why they disagree and politely engage them in a discussion if you think the issue is important enough.  Generally people prefer being treated as individuals rather than members of a convergent group
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:40:52 pm by stoat »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2020, 09:56:06 pm »
Oh so Miley shouldn't twerk because she's white? (Because of "cultural appropriation"?) What a crock! At least she looked good doing it. Instead of repulsive.

And this issue does impact me because women are becoming more obese and more ratchet all around the world, Given the choice, I'd much rather have a thin ratchet woman than an obese ratchet woman. Even better would be a polite feminine slender woman.

That's why I'm in favor of fat shaming.

Don't tell hefty women they look sexy.

That will just result in them getting fatter.

Yep, like I said...I was wasting my time attempting to explain a nuanced context to someone who canít and refuses to get it.

Phew! Glad I decided to stop when I did. It has been such a great day today!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:57:40 pm by waygo0k »

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2020, 08:10:32 am »
I'm sure among the many readers of this board there's at least someone capable of understanding your brilliant insights... so how about articulating why it's ok for Lizzo to twerk but not ok for Miley Cyrus to do so.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2020, 08:19:08 am »
Because slavery. Isn't it obvious?

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2020, 10:45:09 am »
The public does.

The media gives them what they want to maximize profit.

It's pandering.

Fat women like Lizzo because they themselves are fat. So they can relate. It feels empowering to be told they can eat all they want of any kind of food they want not exercise and still be beautiful.

Oh my God....the public eats what the media feeds them. The public does not dictate what is on the menu. Wow! You are seriously obtuse.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2020, 10:53:27 am »
LIC, the media exists to make money. It's a business. More viewers equals more advertising dollars coming in. In a capitalistic society it wouldn't be any other way. TV can appeal to salacious base instincts ... but go too far and they might get boycotted... and they're well aware of that... but sadly society and media seems to be getting slightly more vulgar, impolite, and undignified as time goes on. And no, it's not because of "the jews". It's a reflection of the public / societal norms of acceptability. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2020, 11:29:53 am »
For example, I was surprised to see this on NPR (National Public Radio):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlFQjExxD4U

The first song's about cooking crack and selling crack.

The second song mentions about how he killed someone.

In the third song there's laughter when he says, "I brought four girls to my place. They call me Gucci Mane Picasso 'cause I painted they face."

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________

Former president Obama recommended music:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/30/politics/barack-obama-favorite-music-2019-trnd/index.html

I started to listen and was surprised by the vulgarity of the song lyrics.

He's almost 60 and listens to gansta rap?

B word, n word, f word, talk of killing people, talk of dealing drugs.

Seems surreal.

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2020, 11:33:46 am »
We're not in Kansas anymore. Or listening to The Beatles for that matter.

At the moment I am watching the Dutch Symphony playing the soundtrack from Star Wars. It's more pleasant.