Read 393 times

• tamahari
  • Explorer

• September 07, 2016, 08:35:35 pm
    • Seoul. South Korea
Do I need a new background check?
« on: January 21, 2020, 10:28:08 am »
I'm an American. I've been in Korea for 5 years and most of that (including currently) on an F-6 visa. I have had a part-time/on-again-off-again job for the last three years--while I've been in graduate school--at an adult hagwon in Bundang. (On-again-off-again meaning they have always had me under contract as an employee, but some months they don't have any hours for me.)  When I took that job I had to get a new FBI background check and register with the local department of education.

Now I'm looking for a full-time job. (I'm not sure yet where--I'm mostly looking in southern Seoul, Bundang, and Yongin.) I've had one recruiter tell me I need to get yet another FBI background check in order to take a teaching job, but that was before he knew about the part-time job that I've had. Then he said that previous registration at the department of education should still be valid and possibly transferable to another city/district, as long as I haven't left Korea for more than 90 days during that time. (I have left for about that long cumulatively, but not consecutively at one time. I don't know what to make of that.)

I tried calling the immigration hotline, but they said they couldn't tell me whether I need another background check, since it doesn't affect my visa status--only my employment. I hate to throw away $175 and a bunch of time/frustration on something superfluous that will expire in six months. Does anyone know whether I need the background check in this case? Or failing that, who I can ask who will actually be able to tell me? 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 12:28:48 pm by tamahari »

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
Re: Do I need a new background check?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 07:58:12 am »
One thing I can suggest is having your spouse call immigration again for you. A lot of times my husband gets more info than I do just because either A) people would rather speak to a Korean or B) the people on the foreigner hotline for immigration aren't trained that well and maybe don't have that info. I've heard that you can get documents back from immigration, but if that background check wasn't submitted to them, I don't really know what to tell you.

If you've been here 5 years on an F6 I would think a Korean criminal background check would be enough. Maybe bring that up to the place you're applying? Other than that, try to see if you can get you previous one back/transferred from wherever it was submitted.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 08:16:32 am »
when they ask you for a new background check, make sure you know who is asking for it.
immigration shouldn't be asking for it since you are on file and haven't left the country.
the education office however can ask for a new one.  they have their own rules that they follow.
you should check with them to see if a certified copy of your cbc from immigration will be enough.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 04:06:12 pm »
If you have been in Korea for the last 6 months, you get your criminal background check from the Korean Police Station.
The larger stations can process the paperwork.

The Department of Immigration will accept it and only Korean Government Agencies are allowed to request a Criminal Back Ground Check (really only elements of the Dept. of Justice, which the Dept. of Immigration is part of)

Simply a Criminal background check in Korea will suffice.
Cheers,

• ahmed123
  • Newgookin

• February 10, 2020, 06:00:29 pm
    • new york
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 06:29:16 pm »
i think i konw some one can help you in thise issue  fbi back ground check apostille  have the enough exprince to help you