Read 462 times

Changing Schools reunite with old Teacher?
« on: February 05, 2020, 05:43:57 pm »
I was just curious if anyone here who has been teaching in Korea long enough, has come across
an old teacher from their previous school and had them again in your new school?

Korean teachers turn over so fast (every 4 years, some even shorter).  Most of them live in the same region
or city as the schools they are flipping to.  So after 4 years, they'll go to another school in the same city or region.
Repeat this several times and over their lifetime, they'll have been to several schools in the same area.

Have you ever changed schools and then found one of your past teachers arrive at your new school?
Sometimes that's a good thing (if it's someone you liked and worked well with) and sometimes I can imagine it would be
a nightmare (if it was someone you didn't get along well with and wish never to see them again).

I often hear how a lot of the teachers all seem to know one another even though they all go to different schools but in the same
city or region because they've all at one point crossed paths and been at the same school as the other or know someone who has.

Re: Changing Schools reunite with old Teacher?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 07:20:56 am »
I work in a fairly small city (80 000 people) so teachers move around a lot and also seem to know each other.  When I was teaching middle school, there were teachers who came back around to schools I worked in, and as there are more middle than high schools the chances of bumping into teachers again is higher.  Also as there are more elementary than middle schools, if you stay in elementary it's less likely you'll bump into teacher again because of the sheer number of elementary schools.

The merry-go-round can work in your favour sometimes.  Some of my former co-teachers have moved to other schools and due to there being hardly any native teachers, they ask me to work after school or for night classes at their new school.  It does help if you work in a small city and you have good relationships.  But once you're in, then you're in the loop. 

Now in my academic high school, of which there are three in my city (one is private/public where teachers can stay forever).  The other two, including mine, the teachers bounce between the two.  There are 10 teachers transferring in a few weeks, and of the new ten coming in 5 have been in my school in the last four years.  There is a new English teacher coming who is notoriously a dickhead, so it'll be fun to see what happens there.  I'm trying to convince the teachers who are staying to decide their roles and make him the 3rd grade English teacher so I have nothing to do with him. 

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:54:05 am »
Not a former Korean co-teacher, but at my 2nd job in Korea (a public elementary school), a former Korean teacher (not an English teacher -- I forgot what he used to teach, I think maybe ethics or something like that) at my 1st public elementary school was coincidentally transferring to the same school as me (my 2nd public elementary school) at the same time. He was getting promoted to vice principal, so he was the vice principal at my 2nd public elementary school. He didn't speak any English but he liked me and we were on good terms.

Also, the next semester, the former vice principal at my 1st public elementary school got promoted to principal at my 2nd public elementary school, so he transferred to my 2nd school during the 2nd semester I worked at that school. Unfortunately, he didn't think that highly of me, so yeah, it was kind of awkward working at the same school with him again.

Also during the 2nd semester at my 2nd public elementary school, a Korean English teacher whom I had previously met and briefly worked with (indirectly) at a couple of English camps in the past, transferred to my 2nd public elementary school. We got along okay although I quickly realized that our teaching styles weren't very compatible with each other, unfortunately, but oh well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:55:41 am by Mezoti97 »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 11:57:58 am »
YEP happened to me.  The very first public school I taught at in 2013 for about a year and half before I got the budget cut, was the same school that one of the new 6th grade teachers at my travel school used to work at too.  He recognized me and ask my co-teacher if I taught at XYZ elementary at one point.  She said I did.  I HONESTLY had no idea who he was until I went through old hwaeshik pics and saw we did in fact work together.  Not really together but we were co-workers.   :huh:  Small world.  Thankfully he didn't have any bad stories to tell of me  8)  Reconnecting with my hakwon coworkers is a DIFFERENT STORY  :laugh:

OMG and how quickly did I forget.  The former Principal at my main school transferred out of my main school before I got to work with him but I only met him for my main school interview and then I had the pleasure of seeing that he was the Principal at my travel school.  Small world, but especially smaller if you stay in the same area for more than 2 years. 

Oh and double OMG the 3rd grade teacher at my travel school came over to my main school.....yeah it's happened to me A LOT!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:35:21 pm by Piggydee »

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 12:51:50 pm »
I had one KT from my second travel school transfer in to teach at my current school. It was a temporary assignment, though, so she only stayed for a year. We didn't know each other, but she was nice, so nothing awkward or unpleasant to report on that.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 01:12:46 pm »
I wonder how that would be though if you had a former co-worke/coT for hell who come to a school that you ALREADY established a great working with and had been there for years only to have this ghost from hakwon hell come over and ruin things.  MY MAIN SCHOOL loves me!  I love them and I just stop to wonder if the assistant director at my former hakwon ever came over to my school that I've been at for 5 years.  Man I would tell my co-teacher in a heartbeat about how horrible she was.   :laugh: