Read 926 times

Exit Allowance
« on: January 21, 2020, 09:55:03 am »
Hi guys.  Just want to make sure...

In the GEPIK contract it states (for exit allowance): "...and leaves Korea within ten days from the contract completion date, the Employee shall be entitles to an Exit Allowance..."

If my contract ends February 29, this means I have until 11:59 PM on March 10 to leave and still get the allowance?  Like, does the ten days include the last day of your contract or does it start the day after (so in this case, March 1)? 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Exit Allowance
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:27:02 am »
i think you just have to have a plane ticket showing you're leaving. but if you're intending to stay in korea...

what i did was book a cheap flight to japan, print the ticket, canceled the ticket and got a refund, and just handed it to my manager. got exit allowance no problem

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:26:46 am »
I'd imagine it starts counting down from March 1st but I would ask your co-teacher to find out specifically.  The reason they changed the travel allowance criteria in a lot of contracts was to find a loophole to allow them to avoid paying it out.  It used to be a lot more flexible.  I made my home in Thailand for a number of years but since it wasn't my home country I wasn't eligible for a much cheaper plane ticket because I wasn't from Thailand.  That, despite the fact that I had arrived from Thailand and was not going back to Canada after the end of my contract.  So, like others I had a booking for a Toronto ticket that I never bought and just flew to Thailand.  You had to be creative to get the allowance.  Now, I've heard a lot of schools won't reimburse you until you send a kakao pic to your teacher of your boarding pass.  So, the cancelled ticket to Japan may not suffice. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:35:01 am »
i think you just have to have a plane ticket showing you're leaving. but if you're intending to stay in korea...

what i did was book a cheap flight to japan, print the ticket, canceled the ticket and got a refund, and just handed it to my manager. got exit allowance no problem

GEPIK has gotten smart over the years and have adapted the wording in their contract to counter this.

If you have an easy-going coteacher who doesn't mind bending the rules, that option could work...but the wording in the latest GEPIK contract now states:

If the Employee successfully completes his/her duties set forth in this Contract for the full Term of Employment specified herein and leaves Korea within ten (10) days from the contract completion date, the Employee shall be entitled to an Exit Allowance of 1,300,000 KRW within one month (30 days) upon providing the necessary documents to prove his/her departure from the Republic of Korea.

To qualify for the Exit Allowance, the Employee must provide a one-way flight ticket to his/her home country or itinerary and ticket receipt (all of which should state the name and date) accompanied by a boarding pass(es) or passport stamp(s).

In order to get the exit allowance now, you must provide a ticket and/or boarding pass to your home country...doesn't have to be direct flight though...you can do stopovers and side trips, as long as the final destination is your home country.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 11:44:47 am »
I'm with public school and just signed with an after school company that states March 9th which means I can use my exit allowance . Now I will probably have to explain that Guam or saipan is a us territory and explain the exit allowance shouldn't depend on me coming back or not but as anal as they are about me being here during winter when there are no classes to teach I could care less.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 01:54:13 pm »
GEPIK has gotten smart over the years and have adapted the wording in their contract to counter this.

If you have an easy-going coteacher who doesn't mind bending the rules, that option could work...but the wording in the latest GEPIK contract now states:

If the Employee successfully completes his/her duties set forth in this Contract for the full Term of Employment specified herein and leaves Korea within ten (10) days from the contract completion date, the Employee shall be entitled to an Exit Allowance of 1,300,000 KRW within one month (30 days) upon providing the necessary documents to prove his/her departure from the Republic of Korea.

To qualify for the Exit Allowance, the Employee must provide a one-way flight ticket to his/her home country or itinerary and ticket receipt (all of which should state the name and date) accompanied by a boarding pass(es) or passport stamp(s).

In order to get the exit allowance now, you must provide a ticket and/or boarding pass to your home country...doesn't have to be direct flight though...you can do stopovers and side trips, as long as the final destination is your home country.
what a load of shit that is. what's that about? they should stop being dickheads and just give it everyone regardless

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 02:35:43 pm »
Yeah, they figured they could screw a few NETs and save some soju money for the end of year staff dinner.

So now if you get hired by GEPIK in Korea and wish to remain in Korea afterward, you don't get flights or an allowance...unless you end your contract with GEPIK and travel back to your home country.

They're only going to tighten the screws further on benefits and entitlements in the coming years...they already know they'll face zero pushback.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 07:42:41 pm »
Yeah, they figured they could screw a few NETs and save some soju money for the end of year staff dinner.

So now if you get hired by GEPIK in Korea and wish to remain in Korea afterward, you don't get flights or an allowance...unless you end your contract with GEPIK and travel back to your home country.

They're only going to tighten the screws further on benefits and entitlements in the coming years...they already know they'll face zero pushback.

Perhaps, if the younger crop coming in, had an idea of what they are missing out on....

Seriously...Korea is not on any level of greatness, to be coming out for that type of nonsense. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 08:19:07 pm »

you know what, i think what i actually did instead of buying a refundable flight was to create a fake expedia ticket online, editing it to match a real flight that existed. they'd never know it was fake unless they phoned the airline and asked if i was a passenger, and i doubt they'd give them that info anyway. f it. it worked

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 08:21:37 pm »
you know what, i think what i actually did instead of buying a refundable flight was to create a fake expedia ticket online, editing it to match a real flight that existed. they'd never know it was fake unless they phoned the airline and asked if i was a passenger, and i doubt they'd give them that info anyway. f it. it worked

I like that.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 10:25:14 pm »

I was considering doing that as well as I was planning to do a side trip before heading back home to the UK, I was going to get a temporary ticket and fake a boarding pass for the allowance...but then realised the clause in the contract didnít say anything about a direct flight home (oops...just gave GEPIK lawyers another loophole to close! Lol), so Iím still covered.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 08:08:00 am »
I was considering doing that as well as I was planning to do a side trip before heading back home to the UK, I was going to get a temporary ticket and fake a boarding pass for the allowance...but then realised the clause in the contract didn’t say anything about a direct flight home (oops...just gave GEPIK lawyers another loophole to close! Lol), so I’m still covered.

They cottoned on to the fake/refundable tickets a while back which is why they started asking for a boarding pass or even a passport exit stamp.  One co-teacher of mine even tried to say I needed to show an arrival stamp in my passport from Canada.  I explained that Canada didn't stamp the passports of Canadians, and the only way I could show a stamp was if I went to another country, which was not authorized for reimbursement, so...
As long as you were buying another ticket or paying a small administrative fee some travel agents would issue a ticket and a receipt for that ticket, despite that ticket not having actually been purchased.  A now defunct Itaewon travel agent was more than accommodating.  The exit allowance should be considered as part of your overall compensation, regardless of what you do with it, but I think some hakwan style thinking has crept into the contracts and they look for ways to avoid paying out. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 09:26:51 am »
They cottoned on to the fake/refundable tickets a while back which is why they started asking for a boarding pass or even a passport exit stamp.  One co-teacher of mine even tried to say I needed to show an arrival stamp in my passport from Canada.  I explained that Canada didn't stamp the passports of Canadians, and the only way I could show a stamp was if I went to another country, which was not authorized for reimbursement, so...
As long as you were buying another ticket or paying a small administrative fee some travel agents would issue a ticket and a receipt for that ticket, despite that ticket not having actually been purchased.  A now defunct Itaewon travel agent was more than accommodating.  The exit allowance should be considered as part of your overall compensation, regardless of what you do with it, but I think some hakwan style thinking has crept into the contracts and they look for ways to avoid paying out. 
wait. many airlines don't give you a boarding pass anymore, if you check in online. besides, you only get a boarding pass AT the airport, when you're leaving. and yeah, you don't get a stamp for going back to your own country.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 09:37:17 am »
wait. many airlines don't give you a boarding pass anymore, if you check in online. besides, you only get a boarding pass AT the airport, when you're leaving. and yeah, you don't get a stamp for going back to your own country.

Yeah, I haven't gotten it in years so not sure what they do with e-boarding passes.  Maybe you have to take a screen shot and send it back.  Maybe technology and using QPR codes for check-in will baffle the powers that be.  Maybe you'll need to send a photo of you at your home country's city hall holding up a newspaper with the date visible.  But, I just read the news online.  It would be interesting to hear from people that went home and got the reimbursement what the latest requirements were, except those are the posters most likely no longer on here. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 10:07:39 am »
AFAIK a photo of an e-boarding pass would suffice. Plus you could also get a paper one printed at the airport checkin counter.

As for the passport stamp...good luck getting one at ICN lol

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 04:00:48 pm »

Just flew Asiana to Germany this past winter vacation and checked in online and got boarding passes emailed to me.  Literally less than a month ago.  I've never not gotten a boarding pass, but then I don't fly that much.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 09:03:59 pm »
anyone know if schools have the power to call immigration to check to see if you left ? I need a boarding pass and ticket. Thinking of buying a cheap flight and getting the boarding pass and not bother going. Think they will bother to follow up if I have those 2 things already ?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 09:41:13 pm »
Itís not the school you should be worried about, itís the office of education or city hall. Iím willing to bet they wonít bother to call and confirm...thatís why they insist on the boarding pass.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 07:38:14 am »
if you can find an online boarding pass online somewhere that looks legit, you can use PDF Expert to edit the information to make it look real

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 09:16:43 am »
I was told I have to buy my plane ticket first and then they would reimburse me.  I don't know how I'm going to manage to do that.