Read 1083 times

Finding old friend in Korea
« on: January 18, 2020, 07:34:58 am »
As I'm getting a bit older I'm starting to get nostalgic about the friends I made in Seoul a long time ago. I'm trying to find a dear friend of mine that I haven't had any contact with since 2006.  Any good ideas, sites that might help, methods, all appreciated

Here's the info I have:
Name: Park Ji Eun (yup, very common)
DOB: June 1975
University: Pusan, computer science, probably 1997-1999 grad year
Two old, no longer valid email addresses: jieunpark75@yahoo.co.kr, londoncoolgirl@hotmail.com (last used in 2006)
An old Korean cell number which I know is no longer in use: 016-414-7506
I have pics of us and other friends from 2000-2001 but of course those aren't too helpful

I tried Facebook but there are countless JiEuns, couldn't find anything on LinkedIn.

My friend went to London in 2006 for a year of English school and during that time is when I lost touch due to my moving around quite a bit.

I'm all ears so if you have an idea, nothing is ridiculous.  Thanks in advance

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Re: Finding old friend in Korea
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:55:55 pm »
I had a similar difficulty looking up someone from 2006. 

Before facebook so people didn't really keep in touch after you parted ways.

Yep, google or facebook the name and you get hundreds of people with the same name. Pretty hopeless. Just one of those things you have to let go.

Catch my drift?

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 08:10:26 pm »
Super cynical response right off the bat...lol, no, I appreciate the honesty.  Are there any other good message boards to post something like this?  I can't navigate naver to save my life.

Also, just confirm for me that it would not be a good idea to post pictures of this person without their consent right?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 09:21:53 pm »
asked my wife, she didn't know of any korean online site for this. she said naver probably have a "cafe" dedicated to it, though

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 09:51:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I made a naver account but can't make heads or tails of the site and the cafes.  I wish there was an easy way to search for a cafe by subject.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 11:23:35 pm »
You'd need a full DOB and a jumin dungryeok bonho (citizen's reg. number) to find her.
incumbo studiis

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 11:38:16 pm »
I figured I'd need something like that. I have birthday but obviously not her citizen number. I was hoping to hit a one outer on Facebook or LinkedIn but no luck.

I used the construct she used for her old Yahoo email address, first name, last name, year of birth and tried Gmail, naver, Yahoo, outlook, Hotmail, daum, etc. The address exists for Gmail and naver, the others got.kicked back.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 02:09:14 am »
People change and grow, if she wants to find you she probably could.

2006 is a long time to not contact each other. The odds are you both have changed too much and youll never have the same relationship.

How did you stop communicating? Who cut the cord?

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 02:23:00 am »
So just so im clear in proper etiquette, not a good idea to post pictures of the two of us right? Maybe that's a dumb question.

Yeah, no doubt just have to move on.  Obviously the random emails I sent were a total shot in the dark. Impossible to know who owns those email addresses, plus she may not even live in Korea anymore.

I deployed overseas, was out of email contact with all for a long time, when I got back on email, her londoncoolgirl@hotmail.com address was no longer valid in 2007.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 02:28:39 am by Dcseeking »

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 04:05:21 am »
Sorry, one more off the wall question as I search for any clues...trying to get my junior detective badge (lol).  Are there (or were there) any particular English schools for foreigners in London that are popular with Koreans?  She studied English for a year in London in 2006.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 05:29:22 am »
So just so im clear in proper etiquette, not a good idea to post pictures of the two of us right? Maybe that's a dumb question.

Yeah, no doubt just have to move on.  Obviously the random emails I sent were a total shot in the dark. Impossible to know who owns those email addresses, plus she may not even live in Korea anymore.

I deployed overseas, was out of email contact with all for a long time, when I got back on email, her londoncoolgirl@hotmail.com address was no longer valid in 2007.

If the photo is in a public place and you are in it basically you can do what ever you want with the photo.

I lived in Seoul for years and Im probably in 100s if not 1000s of tourist photos that are posted everywhere. I was even in a drama because I was sitting in a cafe when they were filming

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 06:09:40 am »
Yeah the photos were taken one night in Seoul in a street in hongdae with me, her, and some of our mutual friends at the time.  Not sure where exactly I would post it...

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 08:36:17 am »
My experience is that for Koreans, once a relationship (platonic or non-platonic) fades away, then its gone for good, Koreans are fairly good at moving on, no matter how close you were. She is in her 40s now, and is most likely married with children.  There is no way she is going to try to reconnect with a former American soldier that she was friendly with a decade and a half ago.

I had Korean friends that I had limited contact with over a 5 year period, both men and women friends. When I arrived in Korea after 5 years of not seeing them, they all gave me the cold shoulder. Everybody was now married, and I imagine that they did not need to practice their English anymore. They couldn't care less about me and it showed. So to me, once Korean friends are gone...they are really gone.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 10:56:05 am »
So you are absolutely correct, no doubt.  I have some serious health issues so I've told myself I may as well give it a shot to see if I can find anything.  No regrets either way.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 10:28:27 pm »
My experience is that for Koreans, once a relationship (platonic or non-platonic) fades away, then its gone for good, Koreans are fairly good at moving on, no matter how close you were. She is in her 40s now, and is most likely married with children.  There is no way she is going to try to reconnect with a former American soldier that she was friendly with a decade and a half ago.

I had Korean friends that I had limited contact with over a 5 year period, both men and women friends. When I arrived in Korea after 5 years of not seeing them, they all gave me the cold shoulder. Everybody was now married, and I imagine that they did not need to practice their English anymore. They couldn't care less about me and it showed. So to me, once Korean friends are gone...they are really gone.

That is true. Koreans are raised in a transitory merry-go-round environment and they are used to moving around constantly.

Just think how many hogwons the average kid goes through and how many times he has to change friends before he graduates. Not to mention how many different places they have to work because workplaces are constantly moving or closing down or re-opening. They don't get emotionally attached, they learn to move on quickly.

Not to mention the fact that because they work work 24/7 they simply don't have much liesure time available to devote to friendships. They spend it with their family and obligations. Their coworkers are their friends. If you leave the job, you're gone.
Catch my drift?

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 12:37:21 pm »
As I'm getting a bit older I'm starting to get nostalgic about the friends I made in Seoul a long time ago. I'm trying to find a dear friend of mine that I haven't had any contact with since 2006.  Any good ideas, sites that might help, methods, all appreciated

Here's the info I have:
Name: Park Ji Eun (yup, very common)
DOB: June 1975
University: Pusan, computer science, probably 1997-1999 grad year
Two old, no longer valid email addresses: jieunpark75@yahoo.co.kr, londoncoolgirl@hotmail.com (last used in 2006)
An old Korean cell number which I know is no longer in use: 016-414-7506
I have pics of us and other friends from 2000-2001 but of course those aren't too helpful

I tried Facebook but there are countless JiEuns, couldn't find anything on LinkedIn.

My friend went to London in 2006 for a year of English school and during that time is when I lost touch due to my moving around quite a bit.

I'm all ears so if you have an idea, nothing is ridiculous.  Thanks in advance

I hope an old friend of mine never blasts my personal info online.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 12:41:44 pm »

So were never truly friends in the first place. Too, too common here.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 01:07:20 pm »
Yeah, I would have to say that with Koreans there are few true friendships between foreigners and Koreans because they mostly want you for your English ability or to look cool, help you with a project, or whatever other reason...to use you. I thought I had a few "friends" myself but as time went on it turned into help me do this or that. One guy was only interested in me if I could find him a foreign girlfriend and when I couldn't suggest anyone started flirting with me.....that really made me feel special.....In addition you really need to be the same age to make a friendship work in Korea. The marriage thing is also big....once someone is married there is little time for friends. I did have a good Korean friend, who actually introduced me to my husband, but after I got married....he felt very awkward I guess because he would talk to my husband (his friend) but not me anymore.

I imagine Koreans might think that trying to locate a friend from so long ago...would be strange.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 01:18:04 pm »
One guy was only interested in me if I could find him a foreign girlfriend and when I couldn't suggest anyone started flirting with me.....that really made me feel special.....
Man, I met some art students (2 dudes/2 chicks) at a bar here in South Gyeonggi, when I first arrived here, and we hit it off so we decided to hang out later.

The two dudes invited me to a club in Anyang (If you live in Anyang, you'll know that it was def TAP hahahaha) and then they kept pushing me to go bring girls back to our table. Not even foreign girls, but the locals. They weren't being dicks about it but they were quite excited and wanted me to do it.

I asked them "Did you invite me here cuz I'm foreign so I could  bring girls back?" They looked so embarrassed, hahaha.

If they had any clue how terrible I am with women in loud places (and generally even) they wouldn't have brought me to that club, I guarantee it.