• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Korea: Land of "_________"
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 09:40:56 am »
Land of Faces

Face-saving, facial surgery, superficial, or better, an amalgam of the three: superfacial.

Land of the Superfacial.

• Arsalan
  • Site Programmer

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:19:04 pm »
Land of Korea
https://REDThanos.com
https://www.facebook.com/arsalan.lavang.9

"My heart bursts into starlight,
like collapsing ecstasy."

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 03:26:05 pm »
I have a friend who says "Land of Almost" because attempts at Western stuff like spaghetti sauce and hot dogs are never quite right.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 10:34:49 pm »
I have a friend who says "Land of Almost" because attempts at Western stuff like spaghetti sauce and hot dogs are never quite right.
The lack of self-awareness is amusing, yet far too common.

Your friend does realize that much of what is called "spaghetti sauce" back home (I'm assuming he's American given the talk about hot dogs) would be viewed with similar contempt by actual Italians, right? And that's before we get to what constitutes pizza, sausages, Chinese food, Mexican, etc.

I hope your friend is joking because if he truly is that unaware then that's pretty sad that his entire conception of the country is based on such ridiculousness.

I mean, for goodness sakes: Pizza Hut. Need I say more?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:43:05 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 11:19:59 pm »
Oh come on, that orange goo that Ottogi sells as spaghetti sauce speaks volumes. It's not like they don't know any better, it's Koreans cutting corners selling Lotte chocolate without any actual expensive cacao in it.
incumbo studiis

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 12:05:35 am »
Oh come on, that orange goo that Ottogi sells as spaghetti sauce speaks volumes. It's not like they don't know any better, it's Koreans cutting corners selling Lotte chocolate without any actual expensive cacao in it.
Dude, all candy bar chocolate is cheap crap. You don't get real chocolate until you go to an actual chocolatier. As opposed to what? Some Ferrero Rocher crap? It's like saying Maxim isn't real coffee but you're comparing it to Maxwell House.

Same with Ottogi spaghetti sauce (which is not the only spaghetti sauce made in Korea and ceased to be back in like, 2009). "Ottogi? I'm not eating that fake slop. Give me PREGO!"

You know what speaks volumes? Pizza Hut. Chicken BBQ Pizza. PF Changs and Panda Express. Hot Dogs. Chef Boyardee. Ethnic Gourmet Frozen Chicken Tikka Masala. Taco Bell. Cronuts. Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. Chicago Hot Dogs. St. Louis Pizza. Del Taco. Domino's Pizza. Annie Chun's Kimchi Noddle Soup Bowl. Southwestern BBQ Pork Shwarma.

Are people seriously that oblivious to what gets done to foreign food back home?

"The Koreans ruined my authentic Pizza Hut pizza. They put sweet potato into the crust of my large Hawaiian. Why do they have to ruin every foreign food?"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 12:10:54 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 12:17:00 am »
to be fair, all korean pasta sauce i've tried has about 10000000000000000 grams of sugar in it. it's all unbelievably sweet. i make sure to buy non-korean brand pasta sauce from coupang because of this

edit: unbelievably sweet and disgusting*

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 01:40:01 am »
+1 so much sugar and salt.

but why is it orange though? It's almost like they added water and corn starch to save costs.
incumbo studiis

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 05:16:47 am »
Tomato juice here is sweet too.

Koreans don't like a salty tomato taste.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 08:57:24 am »
Land of 'it's impossible'
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 11:14:59 am »
Korean made spaghetti sauce is Michelin level stuff, compared to the ones in the Phillippines. It's basically watered down ketchup + loads of sugar there.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 06:49:50 pm »
The lack of self-awareness is amusing, yet far too common.

Your friend does realize that much of what is called "spaghetti sauce" back home (I'm assuming he's American given the talk about hot dogs) would be viewed with similar contempt by actual Italians, right? And that's before we get to what constitutes pizza, sausages, Chinese food, Mexican, etc.

I hope your friend is joking because if he truly is that unaware then that's pretty sad that his entire conception of the country is based on such ridiculousness.

I mean, for goodness sakes: Pizza Hut. Need I say more?
I think most of us would be happy if you said less.  Much less.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 07:26:56 pm »

but why is it orange though? It's almost like they added water and corn starch to save costs.
Are you talking the rosé sauce? That's because it's a blend of tomato sauce and cream sauce. Most of the others are red. Also, there should be like, 3-4 different brands of Korean spaghetti sauce you can buy, and that's before you get to the import options.

You can also make your sauce from scratch.

Finally, welcome to being an immigrant.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 07:29:02 pm »
Dude, all candy bar chocolate is cheap crap. You don't get real chocolate until you go to an actual chocolatier. As opposed to what? Some Ferrero Rocher crap? It's like saying Maxim isn't real coffee but you're comparing it to Maxwell House.

Same with Ottogi spaghetti sauce (which is not the only spaghetti sauce made in Korea and ceased to be back in like, 2009). "Ottogi? I'm not eating that fake slop. Give me PREGO!"

You know what speaks volumes? Pizza Hut. Chicken BBQ Pizza. PF Changs and Panda Express. Hot Dogs. Chef Boyardee. Ethnic Gourmet Frozen Chicken Tikka Masala. Taco Bell. Cronuts. Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. Chicago Hot Dogs. St. Louis Pizza. Del Taco. Domino's Pizza. Annie Chun's Kimchi Noddle Soup Bowl. Southwestern BBQ Pork Shwarma.

Are people seriously that oblivious to what gets done to foreign food back home?

"The Koreans ruined my authentic Pizza Hut pizza. They put sweet potato into the crust of my large Hawaiian. Why do they have to ruin every foreign food?"

Awww....the chip on your shoulder biting at you again?
Dude, it's not a chip to point out when someone is being oblivious.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 09:50:45 pm »

Are you talking the rosé sauce? That's because it's a blend of tomato sauce and cream sauce. Most of the others are red. Also, there should be like, 3-4 different brands of Korean spaghetti sauce you can buy, and that's before you get to the import options.

You can also make your sauce from scratch.

Finally, welcome to being an immigrant.
I have tried to make sauce from scratch, but the local tomatoes are completely void of flavour. Even roasting them didn’t bring out any flavour!

I ended up buying Italian tomato sauce to use as a base.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 09:52:07 pm »
Tomato juice here is sweet too.

Koreans don't like a salty tomato taste.

Not sweet, but just... neutral.