Read 1201 times

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
.."sick day".
« on: January 16, 2020, 06:52:41 am »
Major Edit:

The original post was fudged up.  I accidentally deleted it, while editing it. 

Thus, a brief summary.

I've been sick all week....I tech 46 classes a week. 

I called sick into work today, expecting the shenanigans that come with doing so (based on what happened to a previous teacher that was this school). 

I have no shame in not going to work,so I can rest in bed, knowing while I won't be cured tomorrow, I will at least be able to get through the day.

No attacks were thrown at my current boss.

However, V.I and Doc have twisted the thread a bit.  However, to the Doc's credit, he did not see the original post before it was deleted. 

This is where why it looks likes like a deleted scene from Mad Max. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:23:47 pm by NorthStar »

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Re: .."sick day".
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:35:53 am »
It's written in your contract to have sick days?

I treat sick days like anything else in the contract. You want me to work 23 classes per week? OK. You want me to desk warm when everyone else is travelling the world? OK. You want me to come in when I'm dying? Nope, read the contract.

The MOE always asks us to go to work to get 'permission' lol ok, in the real world, an adult decides if they are capable/wouldn't cause further illness and gives themselves 'permission'.

• 303lmc
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 07:38:48 am »
It's written in your contract to have sick days?

I treat sick days like anything else in the contract. You want me to work 23 classes per week? OK. You want me to desk warm when everyone else is travelling the world? OK. You want me to come in when I'm dying? Nope, read the contract.

The MOE always asks us to go to work to get 'permission' lol ok, in the real world, an adult decides if they are capable/wouldn't cause further illness and gives themselves 'permission'.
Sounds like you are EPIK and OP is not! for EPIK, yes read your contract. even for Hagwon, read your contract. this is why I would never work for a hagwon.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:39:02 am »
in the past, if i didn't have sick days in my contract, i'd simply go to school with a blanket, turn on a movie and sleep for the entire class

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:41:37 am »
46 classes a week !!!!  Man you need a new job.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 07:42:55 am »
also yes what the fuk

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 07:45:19 am »
also yes what the fuk

Hope they are paying you at least 5 million a month for that.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 08:21:35 am »
No...not being paid 5 million.  I was not "up-to-date" about the the number of classes nor the accurate working schedule, until I showed up.  I've posted about this before but...I was in a situation in which the wolves were at the door. 

Bet that as it may, while I am appreciative of the idea of showing up with a blanket, putting on a movie and falling asleep, that would be more destructive then doing what I am doing now.  First, I don't have my own classroom like I used to.  So, I would have to move from room to room, ten times over.  Second, there is already a silent discontent with me utilizing my computer to show the students curriculum related videos (we have NO tech in the classrooms..nadda).  .  For example, I have all of the 'Everybody Up" and "Oxford Phonics" online tools downloaded on my computer but I know the powers that be really don't like that...for whatever reason(s). 

So...that idea, again, while I do appreciate the though, would only compound matters. 

Then again...nothing may happen.  When I say "nothing"...I am referring to the silent treatment for God knows how long.

DGaF

I have appreciation for my boss,  overall.  I have no specific character attacks.  I needed the job in a time of, need.  As noted, the wolves were at the door.  And, while there were some unforeseen working conditions that appeared upon arrival or shortly after, I've rolled with it...the best way I could. 

But by God, I'm not going in today. 

And no...there is nothing in my contract regarding "sick days".  I am assuming I will not get paid...so be it.  We (most of us) work in an ungrateful industry for ungrateful people.  The best medicine is no stress, no students, rest, water, V-C and ....watching Stephan A's best moments on Youtube.

I understand why you took the job. Are you looking around for a new one?  That would be a good idea.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 08:28:56 am »
Hagwons in Korea never cease to amaze me. But is up with the last teacher being " forced " to come into school? I'd love for someone to try that nonsense with me. Stick to your guns. These hagwon owners are bascially parasites on the entire industry. A lot of them have no clue about teaching and most of them aren't qualified enough to run a lemonade stand yet they are in charge of businesses providing " education " . The entire thing is a joke. Take care of yourself first. If they can't deal with it then it's on them.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 08:34:01 am »
Wait are you saying someone from your school went to immigration and took your ARC without your permission? That's very illegal, if so. For my husband to pick mine up for me I had to sign a form that they had given as a receipt. And if they're holding your ARC I'd be very wary.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 09:46:58 am »
I have had 2 sick days in 17 years.

Go to work if you have the sniffles and the shakes. Being sick isn't in itself enough to shirk doing your job.

I was told about this back in 2002. It's a cultural thing.

A student tipped a desk over and fractured my big toe. An hour and a half later, x-ray in hand and bandage on toe, i was back in class teaching while sitting on a chair, leg elevated.

That's just how they roll hereabouts.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 10:08:30 am »

Go to work if you have the sniffles and the shakes. Being sick isn't in itself enough to shirk doing your job.

A student tipped a desk over and fractured my big toe. An hour and a half later, x-ray in hand and bandage on toe, i was back in class teaching while sitting on a chair, leg elevated.

Yeah..which is why everyone here is always sick...being infected from recycled germs, because folks are so scared to do the right thing and take a day off, so they CAN do their jobs to the best of their ability, the next day. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 10:10:27 am »

Yeah..which is why everyone here is always sick...being infected from recycled germs, because folks are so scared to do the right thing and take a day off, so they CAN do their jobs to the best of their ability, the next day. 

Yeah, the ACTUAL costs to business and education are much higher. Sick, tired people going through the motions, end on end, day after day.

Take a day off, come back feeling better and less contaminated. It's better for the bottom line over time.

BUT NO! NO REST, GOTTA PRETEND TO BE PRODUCTIVE. ASSES IN CHAIRS ETC ETC

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 10:14:09 am »
Hagwons in Korea never cease to amaze me. But is up with the last teacher being " forced " to come into school? I'd love for someone to try that nonsense with me. Stick to your guns. These hagwon owners are bascially parasites on the entire industry. A lot of them have no clue about teaching and most of them aren't qualified enough to run a lemonade stand yet they are in charge of businesses providing " education " . The entire thing is a joke. Take care of yourself first. If they can't deal with it then it's on them.

Van Islander would disagree with you....then again, he reminds me of some low-budget, ate-up cousin of Yoda, in which nobody wants to invite to the Jedi Council's annual employee appreciation party. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:28:21 am by NorthStar »

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 10:28:13 am »
well in my opinion if you come to work with the flu or very sick and you know you have to be around children then it's practically child abuse. Looking dillegent is not as important to me as not spreading illnesses.  When Koreans stop spitting on the street every 5 feet during the cold and flu season then maybe I will listen to what they have to say as far as health and germs. Until then I don't want to hear it 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 10:35:44 am »
well in my opinion if you come to work with the flu or very sick and you know you have to be around children then it's practically child abuse. Looking dillegent is not as important to me as not spreading illnesses.  When Koreans stop spitting on the street every 5 feet during the cold and flu season then maybe I will listen to what they have to say as far as health and germs. Until then I don't want to hear it 

I wish this site had a like button.

I seriously disagree with VanIslander for all the reasons given.  Your health is important, to hell with them.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 10:39:19 am »

What a screwed up society!!!

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 10:45:26 am »

Or grow a backbone and stand up for yourself. It is also culturally acceptable to shit on people just because they are younger than you, do you also do that?

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 10:47:24 am »
If you're a teach and you're sick, odds are you caught it from one of your students and whether you're there or not makes little difference in whether or not other children get infected. Also, disease incubates and you are contagious before the onset of symptoms and often for 24-48 hours after recovery.

Koreans ain't the best either, but a lot of what westerners believe about germs is kind of ridiculous too. "Spitting in the street OMG. dangerous!!!" While their 3 dogs all shit and piss in the same spot  :rolleyes: The belief in the magical disease prevention powers of sneezing into the palm of one's hand and then wiping it on your pant leg, etc. "I need to stay home for 10 days at the slightest sniffle lest I bring my disease into that den of cleanliness known as an elementary school classroom." Then you have the shirkers and malingerers who use the slightest discomfort as cause to call in sick and treat sick days as vacation days.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 10:48:39 am »

I wish this site had a like button.

I seriously disagree with VanIslander for all the reasons given.  Your health is important, to hell with them.

I think he's right about the sniffles. About broken bones and things like that...eh...There's a difference between feeling blue and needing actual recovery to prevent further injury and lifelong decreased mobility.