Read 682 times

12 days in Thailand
« on: December 23, 2019, 12:39:17 pm »
I'm heading to Thailand for spring break (1st time there) and would like some recommendations. I was thinking of going to Krabi town for a few days and then spending the rest of my time in Ao Nang near the beach, and hopping to some of the islands. I just want to relax, not really into partying, but I'm worried I'll get bored if I spend most of my time in Ao Nang.  I was thinking of Ko Lanta as well.

Tips are much appreciated! This is also my first time travelling alone (other than Korea) so I'd like to keep things simple.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: 12 days in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 01:26:45 pm »
I'm heading to Thailand for spring break (1st time there) and would like some recommendations. I was thinking of going to Krabi town for a few days and then spending the rest of my time in Ao Nang near the beach, and hopping to some of the islands. I just want to relax, not really into partying, but I'm worried I'll get bored if I spend most of my time in Ao Nang.  I was thinking of Ko Lanta as well.

Tips are much appreciated! This is also my first time travelling alone (other than Korea) so I'd like to keep things simple.
There's really nothing to keep in you in Krabi town more than a day or so--the night market, etc.  I'd keep going right on past Ao Nang to the quieter beaches.

Koh Samui or Koh Phangan are great islands to "get your feet wet" as there is an extensive transport system to get you there and back.  Also true for Krabi, it's just that much longer.

Happy travels!
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 02:46:47 pm »
Koh Chang...Whitesands Beach

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 09:56:52 pm »
Koh Chang...Whitesands Beach
Lots of great beaches esp. on the west side--I went to Klong Kloi for the first time in January, which has a relaxed vibe.  And Koh Chang is super-convenient to Bangkok: a six-hour van ride and ferry trip with a bonus white-knuckle jaunt to your bungalows.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 07:19:05 am »
Some people have mentioned Koh Chang Island.   I do not like the West Coast of this island as it is  quite heavily developed.  Busy road, convenience stores, masses of accommodation, prostitution in some spots.  I think the East Coast of Koh Chang Island may have much less development, but I have never been there.

If you want peace and quiet I can recommend Koh Mak Island which is South of Koh Chang.  I hired a bike to ride around the island. I know a budget place to stay if you want to know.  It is right on a nice beach.  About $11-12 US per night.    If you want even less development still, I can recommend Koh Wai Island.  It has no roads or vehicles and might be too quiet for some.  Koh Wai is located between Koh Chang and Koh Mak.  Good luck.

All of islands mentioned above are part of the Koh Chang Island group.  The article below describes some of these islands.

By the way........I would not travel down to the Trat region by mini-van.  Many minivan drivers drive like maniacs.   Probably safer (but slower) to take  one of the bigger buses from Bangkok.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/jan/17/koh-chang-koh-kood-island-hopping-thailand-quiet-beaches
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 07:28:26 am by raysmith »

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 07:23:35 am »
Some people have mentioned Koh Chang Island.   I do not like the West Coast of this island as it is  quite heavily developed.  Busy road, convenience stores, masses of accommodation, prostitution in some spots.  I think the East Coast of Koh Chang Island may have much less development, but I have never been there.

If you want peace and quiet I can recommend Koh Mak Island which is South of Koh Chang.  I hired a bike to ride around the island. I know a budget place to stay if you want to know.  It is right on a nice beach.  About $12 US per night.    If you want even less development still I can recommend Koh Wai Island.  Koh Wai is located between Koh Chang and Koh Mak.  Good luck.

All of islands mentioned above are part of the Koh Chang Island group.  The article below describes some of the islands in the Koh Chang group.

By the way........I would not travel down to the Trat region by mini-van.  Many minivan drivers drive like maniacs.   Probably safer (but slower) to take  one of the bigger buses.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/jan/17/koh-chang-koh-kood-island-hopping-thailand-quiet-beaches

True....there has been more development on K.C. especially catering to the phucking Chinese, who go there and ruin the fun. 

However, the northern tip of Whitesands Beach still has a cluster of the original bungalows that started it all....Chang Bar/Bungalows, Star Beach, Bana, etc. Rocksand used to be a good place but turned into some sort of "flashpacker" type of place. 

The sunset on that part of the island is hard to beat....

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 08:33:47 pm »
I often used Koh Chang Island as a stepping off point for the Islands South of there.

One time I arrived on Koh Chang on New Years eve.  Without any accommodation booked.  I had to settle for some 'interesting' accommodation that was attached to a beer bar.  I was happy to get out of there the next morning.