Read 3882 times

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Kindi GOREFEST gets Canadian teacher arrested
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 01:23:15 pm »
But what about the one who wanted suggestions for a lesson to get her students to name-call and insult each other with better English.  Can't think of a good way to search for the thread right off...

This one?

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=77140.0

That's the one!
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2020, 01:19:00 am »
Police have filed for arrest warrant for the teacher who faces suspicions of violating the Child Welfare Act.

The city’s office of education said it would investigate the  said tutoring service over suspected negligence in management.

And what about all the horrific videos they show kids every halloween???
Catch my drift?

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2020, 12:40:49 pm »
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at that police station where they took her in. 

Police:Why did you show this video to children?

Teacher:  Because they kids asked if it's possible to eat people.

Police: But Why?

Teacher:  Because I thought it might answer their questions

And that was it an hour or so of "But Why" because that's what we as foreigners have to deal with in this country when the answer we gave the first time around wasn't satisfying enough.  It's like if someone ask why enough times the answer will magically change. 

But back to the main topic.  I'm SURPRISED this hasn't gotten more of a heated discussion.  Seriously, I think most of us are in agreement that what this teacher showed to the students was wrong.  Was it GORY as some Korean "news" outlets make it out to be.  No!  Of course not.  But come on!  Not even North American/British children at that same age as the kids she showed this video to would understand that BBC clip.  The vocabulary used in that video would not even be something that a second grader in the US would grasp the concept to.  Who did she think she was teaching.  A room full of college freshmen!?!?   Seriously how dipsh*t can one be?  I know most of us aren't license teachers but a lot of us know we can't treat our classroom like damn TEDtalk, as this idiot clearly did.  You have to scale down the lesson and make in engaging , language level, and age appropriate.  If she showed this video to a group of  Middle School student then I don't see what the big deal is.  But to Korean aged 7 year olds (Real age 6 or 5)
This is what happens when you just hire based on appearances and based on age and not based on any experience or training.   That's why at least with EPIK they ask for TESOL certificate because there you get an idea as to how to formulate an appropriate lesson plan.   

And as far as arresting her.  WOW!!!  Talk about a big OVER REACTION to what was a very stupid but not deadly mistake.

If I was her, I'd pull a runner.  The media attention that this brought from social media was embarrassing enough. 

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2020, 01:22:14 pm »
Yeah, sounds like a case of a teacher who has zero filter more than anything else.

Was showing the video in question inappropriate? Yes.

Was it worthy of criminal charges? No. It's a complete waste of taxpayer money and police time, is what it is. I understand parents being upset and all, but to arrest her on child abuse charges? I've seen and heard of so much worse that never got even a quarter of the attention that this has, but okay, this is the hill where they want to die on.

I agree that this woman probably shouldn't be teaching young kids, and that her lack of good judgment might stem from other mental or social issues that she may need some counseling for, but her arrest is also completely out of line and over the top. It was probably more for show than anything else.

I do wonder if she's been dismissed, though. The arrest could be used to deport her.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:29:02 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2020, 02:13:31 pm »
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at that police station where they took her in. 

Police:Why did you show this video to children?

Teacher:  Because they kids asked if it's possible to eat people.

Teacher:  Because I thought it might answer their questions

And that was it an hour or so of "But Why" because that's what we as foreigners have to deal with in this country when the answer we gave the first time around wasn't satisfying enough.  It's like if someone ask why enough times the answer will magically change. 
They'll only keep asking if you keep giving a different answer. The answer isn't as important so much as how you react to it and at what point you dig your heels in. That and you not slipping up and saying something stupid at some point that gets you in trouble.

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2020, 02:41:18 pm »
They'll only keep asking if you keep giving a different answer. The answer isn't as important so much as how you react to it and at what point you dig your heels in. That and you not slipping up and saying something stupid at some point that gets you in trouble.

That's actually not true, they do it to see if you'll remain consistent. So you can answer the same question the same way over and over again, but they'll still keep asking you the same question to see if you'll change your answer later. If they find inconsistencies, they'll probe deeper.

I had an old boss who was also a retired cop, and he never did get out of this habit. It was kind of a running joke in the office that his questions always came in packs of three because you were guaranteed to get asked the same question at least three times, just phrased a little differently each time. For him it was a matter of clarity and confirmation, but he fell back on old policing habits to get it done.

In general, this is a useful police tactic to help pick up on possible dodginess, but it can and has been misused to harass, manipulate or to confuse vulnerable people into falsely incriminating themselves, too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:45:11 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2020, 03:20:50 pm »
That's actually not true, they do it to see if you'll remain consistent. So you can answer the same question the same way over and over again, but they'll still keep asking you the same question to see if you'll change your answer later. If they find inconsistencies, they'll probe deeper.

I had an old boss who was also a retired cop, and he never did get out of this habit. It was kind of a running joke in the office that his questions always came in packs of three because you were guaranteed to get asked the same question at least three times, just phrased a little differently each time. For him it was a matter of clarity and confirmation, but he fell back on old policing habits to get it done.

In general, this is a useful police tactic to help pick up on possible dodginess, but it can and has been misused to harass, manipulate or to confuse vulnerable people into falsely incriminating themselves, too.
That's what I meant by "if you keep giving a different answer."

Absolutely power-trippers can useit. At the same time it does work, especially on the dodgy.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2020, 07:24:12 pm »

No.

Repeatedly asking “why” is a common root cause analysis technique.

Incident: She fell.
Why? She stubbed her toe.
Why? The sidewalk was uneven.
Why? Poor workmanship.
Why? Poor oversight of contractor.
Why? Nobody tasked with oversight.
Why? Not in our contracting process.

So, future injury can be prevented by contracting process changes which include accountability for oversight of workmanship.

Source: I’m currently reviewing a root cause analysis procedure.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2020, 10:29:05 pm »
No.

Why? Poor workmanship.

So, future injury can be prevented by contracting process changes which include accountability for oversight of workmanship.

Wait, what?

DeMartino is wrong?  I can't bel--oh, yeah.  Nevermind.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2020, 07:25:26 am »

I probably wouldn't suggest this with the police, but my stock answer now on the third time of not answering the question to their liking is "what answer do you want me to give?"

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2020, 08:11:24 am »
How about 'I don't like Mondays'.

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2020, 10:38:28 am »
No.

Why? Poor workmanship.

That's only applicable if both parties are working together to analyze a problem. That's not the case here. In this case we have one party antagonistic towards the other party and looking to trip them up, either with a lie or to get their wheels spinning and for them to admit some kind of fault.

Not everything is an engineering or problem-solving situation.

Wait, what?

DeMartino is wrong?  I can't bel--oh, yeah.  Nevermind.
Actually, I'm right. Too bad you can't tell the difference between a situation where two people are working together and a situation where one person is trying to f you in the a. Once again Mr. C shows his utter lack of street smarts.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2020, 01:10:21 pm »
That's only applicable if both parties are working together to analyze a problem. That's not the case here. In this case we have one party antagonistic towards the other party and looking to trip them up, either with a lie or to get their wheels spinning and for them to admit some kind of fault.

Actually, I'm right. Too bad you can't tell the difference between a situation where two people are working together and a situation where one person is trying to f you in the a. Once again Mr. C shows his utter lack of street smarts.
Well, since according to you everyone lies all the time, especially to the police, it doesn't matter one whit, does it?

Or have you changed your mind about everyone lying all the time, espeically to the police, so you can get intangled in another online argument?  Could that be it?
-Mr.DeMartino

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 02:16:20 pm »
Well, since according to you everyone lies all the time, especially to the police, it doesn't matter one whit, does it?
That's precisely why someone above mentioned that their old boss, a retired cop did it. It's because everyone lies to the police. That's what cops do to catch people in lies. That's why you don't say something different when asked the same question and you put the kibosh on that real quick and stonewall them. Just like cops, people lie to their boss all the time. Sometimes for no reason just because they think their boss is out to get them.

Or have you changed your mind about everyone lying all the time, espeically to the police, so you can get intangled in another online argument?  Could that be it?
Sigh. You are so out of touch on this you couldn't even grasp the point. You thought you had one but didn't even realize that it only emphasized what I had to say, rather than contradicted it.

I know you seem to have this vendetta against me and are wound up over this point, because you've come back to it multiple times. Maybe you should consider, I don't know, letting it go, or how about this- accepting it as true. Yes, people lie all the time, especially to the police. There's nothing wrong with accepting certain truths regarding human behavior. Just because we don't want something to be true, doesn't mean it isn't.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 02:47:43 pm »
Yes, people lie all the time, especially to the police.
Prove it. 

Because I think you're lying.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 02:49:52 pm by Mr C »
-Mr.DeMartino

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 02:53:06 pm »
Prove it. 

how bored are you guys right now?

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2020, 02:54:12 pm »
how bored are you guys right now?

They're probably not bored at all because they're focusing on their pointless argument.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2020, 04:40:45 am »

When somebody is suspected of telling lies, you don’t ask “why” repeatedly. You ask the substantial questions and look for changes in answers.

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2020, 07:31:38 am »
Maybe you should consider, I don't know, letting it go

Wait, did he just write that?

I would appear he did.

Hahahahahahaahah!

A hole has been ripped in the time/space continuum. 

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2020, 10:55:49 am »
Prove it. 

Well, first we have Chinguetti's anecdote of her ex-cop boss repeatedly asking people the same question over and over to catch them in a lie, indicative of someone who has had to constantly deal with bullshitters.

The rule actually comes from David Simon's Edgar Award-winning nonfiction book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets.
It's Rule #1 of the 10 rules.
Everyone lies. Murderers lie because they have to; witnesses and other participants lie because they think they have to; everyone else lies for the sheer joy of it, and to uphold a general principle that under no circumstances do you provide accurate information to a cop.

The dude won a major literary award for non-fiction, got this rule from police officers who have spent their entire career investigating crime, and was responsible for two of the most critically acclaimed TV shows of all time- Homicide: Life on the Street and The Wire.

On the other hand we have you, who doesn't realize that lying to the police does not infer that one is guilty of the crime (our original point of contention) and who doesn't realize why a product that is a 10/10 to 20% of the population and a 1/10 to the rest (e.g. Grape Nuts cereal), would actually sell better in the open market than a product that is a 7/10 to 100% of the population (e.g. Kroger brand generic puffed rice cereal). They both are indicative of the same kind of limited thinking.