Read 3773 times

Re: Cheating rampant in Korean language tests
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2020, 08:25:50 am »
You're probably right: I'm a 1+er working multiple schools in the boonies, so of course a lot of the folk I know are as well.

Still, if you're gunning for that 3.3 benchmark, there are weekend camps, afterschool programs, and evening classes available in most areas. I think a lot of teachers would be surprised about the number of doors that open up if you build up a good relationship with your school and make it known (to everybody) that you're looking for extra work (that's not contractually proscribed).
   Not something that 1st year teachers will be able to do, necessarily, but the F-2 visas *are* geared towards folk who've been here for a few years already and who should have a bit of networking behind them already.

I think working only in elementary is very limiting.  Even working in a few elementary schools is still not going to bring you up to the 3.3 million bracket.  Elementary schools and more so middle schools now are finishing earlier or a normal time like 5ish, or they are where I live.  It's only high schools where they're open until 9-10pm that have that opportunity to earn 40 000 won + per class which can really boost your salary.  Sadly, it's very tiring.

But like you said, working in the boonies and in places where there are few native teachers, and also staying for a number of years, means if there are classes floating about, you are the first person they come to.  Last year, I had to say no thanks to two schools, as I already had two other schools plus mine.  I could choose the extra classes at schools where I knew the students would be good, and where the English teachers were my previous co-teachers, so I knew their students would be good, so it was a pleasure to go to those schools.  Also, I could help out my friends and they were thankful for it.

The whole point of an E2 visa is that you're bound EXCLUSIVELY to your contract at your employment.

How are you gonna get extra money to show immigration legally? I understand what you're saying but it is highly, highly unlikely.

All the schools ask me first if I want to do it, then they send an official paper to my school, so everything is above board.  There is no need to involve immigration.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2020, 08:35:55 am »
The whole point of an E2 visa is that you're bound EXCLUSIVELY to your contract at your employment.

How are you gonna get extra money to show immigration legally? I understand what you're saying but it is highly, highly unlikely.

It's a lot easier for teachers outside the big cities, as our pay is substantially higher than in Gyeonggido and the MOEs.
EPIK 1+ in my province (and several others) sits at 2.7 (3.1 with housing). Add in your contract renewal bonus (2/12 = .17) and you're at 3.27.

All you now need is to work 2 weekend camps a year at 200k each (which are offered by the schools and are therefor contractually A-ok), and you should be hunky-dory. (400k/12 = .03).

Boom. 3.3.

If you get either rural allowance or multiple school allowance, then no extra work is necessary.  :smiley:

TL;DR:
   If you are EPIK 1+ in Gyeongsangbuk-do (or any other province where you get 2.7 or more), have worked in Korea for more than a year, and get either rural allowance or multiple school allowance, then you make more than 3.3 million won a month.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:43:04 am by kyndo »

• Renma
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2020, 01:50:06 pm »
It's a lot easier for teachers outside the big cities, as our pay is substantially higher than in Gyeonggido and the MOEs.
EPIK 1+ in my province (and several others) sits at 2.7 (3.1 with housing). Add in your contract renewal bonus (2/12 = .17) and you're at 3.27.

All you now need is to work 2 weekend camps a year at 200k each (which are offered by the schools and are therefor contractually A-ok), and you should be hunky-dory. (400k/12 = .03).

Boom. 3.3.

If you get either rural allowance or multiple school allowance, then no extra work is necessary.  :smiley:

TL;DR:
   If you are EPIK 1+ in Gyeongsangbuk-do (or any other province where you get 2.7 or more), have worked in Korea for more than a year, and get either rural allowance or multiple school allowance, then you make more than 3.3 million won a month.

Good info, thanks. First I've heard that the housing etc counts towards it. Unlikely that I can get KIIP 4 in the next year, however, before the income threshold rises again.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 02:41:54 pm »
Good info, thanks. First I've heard that the housing etc counts towards it.

It  counts towards it if you opt to get your own place and therefore recieve more pay (in the form of a housing allowance).

If you take the school provided housing - which is the case for most ... because they don't have tens of millions of won for key money - then no, it doesn't.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2020, 02:54:49 pm »
Easy enough to arrange with your school to take the provided housing, receive the allowance, and then pay the school that allowance.

Although, honestly, if you've been in korea long enough to think about getting that F visa, then you really need to be finding  your own housing.

School provided housing is fine for a short period of time, but with almost minimal effort, you can find waaaaay better housing. And If it happens to be less than 400,000 won, you keep whatever's leftover!  :smiley:

Also, outside of seoul, deposits are usually less than one or two million unless you're looking at real apartments.  Then, yeah, they can ask for hefty deposits. But you get it back in the end, and in the mean time, you get to enjoy living like an actual adult rather than a university student (one room aprts suck. >:( )!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:58:47 pm by kyndo »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2020, 03:05:47 pm »
you'd never find a decent place in seoul for 400,000won (or whatever they give you).

edit: unless you put down a huge deposit, maybe?

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2020, 03:06:38 pm »
School provided housing is fine for a short period of time, but with almost minimal effort, you can find waaaaay better housing.

So why is that? Schools are paying less than 400,000 a month for the housing they provide and / or spent minimal time finding a place / bargaining down the price?

Why would a NET "with almost minmal effort" be able to find "waaaaay better" than Koreans with connections (who may even be buying in bulk)?

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2020, 03:32:11 pm »

So why is that? Schools are paying less than 400,000 a month for the housing they provide and / or spent minimal time finding a place / bargaining down the price?

Why would a NET "with almost minmal effort" be able to find "waaaaay better" than Koreans with connections (who may even be buying in bulk)?

I was in the school provided one-room, which had a nice bathroom and the landlord was nice, however it was tiny, the kitchen was practically a sink and a fridge, and there was not good lighting. The floors were coming apart and like I said tiny.....this place was close to my school (3 minute walk) and cost 450,000 per month.

I decided to ask my school for the housing allowance and went to find a new place. Found one within two weeks just as close to school and for 400,000 a month. Found a 2 room place with a large living room and a big kitchen, had nice large windows and a nice landlord. The landlord also provided 2 additional storage spaces outside of the apartment as storage, gave a few weeks free, and has been replacing lights and doing other repairs for me without even asking him because he is just a nice guy and treats his other 2 tenants very well. Additionally, there is roof space to grill or hang laundry that I did not have access to in the other place. Now, the new place isn't perfect because I don't particularity like the flooring or the bathroom being so narrow, but it is still a giant step up.......so yes it is doable. I found it simply because I saw a sign for it outside the building.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2020, 03:35:42 pm »
The floors were coming apart and like I said tiny.....this place was close to my school (3 minute walk) and cost 450,000 per month.

I decided to ask my school for the housing allowance and went to find a new place. Found one within two weeks just as close to school and for 400,000 a month. Found a 2 room place with a large living room and a big kitchen, had nice large windows and a nice landlord.

How were you able to find such a better deal than your school?

The school just didn't search very hard for a good deal?

Seems strange.

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2020, 03:37:04 pm »
How were you able to find such a better deal than your school?

The school just didn't search very hard for a good deal?

Seems strange.

Well as far as I know the school kept the same place for about 4 years, and was probably the best option at the time because it would have been a new building really close to the school at that time. I have known many a coteacher who would rather keep the same housing even if it costs a bit more than take the time to find a new place. The landlord of my current place said he had someone consistently living there for that time period, but then it was vacant for a few weeks before I got the ok on the housing allowance.
I had the key money saved up because it wasn't too bad as well, but yeah someone with nothing saved for key money wouldn't do well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:41:18 pm by nightninja »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2020, 05:24:39 pm »

Why would a NET "with almost minimal effort" be able to find "waaaaay better" than Koreans with connections (who may even be buying in bulk)?

Because the school is looking for housing at the lowest possible cost, while a NET would presumably be looking at factors such as "Do I actually want to live here?"
In my experience, while most schools are pretty benevolent, they're unlikely to go way out of their way to find the nicest possible apartment. I imagine the selection process is either "Hey there overworked low-seniority teacher who has zero life experience, you got 2 hours this afternoon to go find a place for the incoming NET. Chop chop." or "My brother owns a villa nearby. Let's help him out and rent his empty room."

Unfortunately, as each school arranges housing for their own NET, things like bulk renting, real-estate experience, and vast networks of connections rarely come into play.  :sad: