Read 972 times

Japan Based ALT resource Sites
« on: December 10, 2019, 08:49:19 am »
Hi, I'm an ALT in Japan but many many...many years ago I worked in Pusan.

I was searching online for new resources and ideas and I stumbled across this site. Nice to see such an active community. I'm sure there are some great ideas hidden behind that paywall.

Anyway I figured I'd mention these two sites. They are made by Japanese based ALTs and are mostly focused on Elementary School and Middle School activities. I'm certain a lot of the ideas can be used by ALTs in other countries with some adaption.

ALTWiki.net has a lot of game ideas. Especially good for elementary school classes.

ALTopedia.org has a lot of ideas and worksheets mostly for middle school. I've personally posted a lot of powerpoint games and quizzes there.

Both are free to use and don't require registering to download materials. You only need to sign up to comment or post materials.

Anyway. I hope they might be a useful additional source of ideas and material. As they used to say on one of the older ALT sites 'Share a little Gain a lot'

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Japan Based ALT resource Sites
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 12:04:33 pm »
I guess these sites are non technology?   Looks like some great ideas there.  If you want to use technology in the classroom like ppt, that is what is behind the paywall.  We have computers and tv screens in korean classrooms.  So we use many ppt type games mostly.  Some great templates like telepathy, hidden stars, word lotto, jeopardy, etc you can download and re work to put your own text book materials in them.  Some will be teams competing for points and some will be individuals playing the games.  There may be some brief things like print out board games like snakes and ladder template and you may also find scanned children's books put into ppts, etc.  If you don't use technology in the classroom, I'd stay away from this site.  But, if you do, it is worth it to pay the 20 dollars for a year to get behind the paywall and download. 

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 12:49:38 pm »
Personally I use a lot of ppt. in my lessons, quite a few have been uploaded to the ALTopedia page. I recommend adaptable ones like Gang War, Invasion USA and the Totally Awesome Quiz Game. Here in Japan whether you can use much tech in class really depends on your town. There are a lot more resources than there used to be, such as tablets and TVs but some towns are lagging behind. As for materials behind a paywall, I'd find it worth it if I was just starting out but at this point I've got hundreds worksheets, lesson plans and dozens of PPT. I generally search around for the odd new idea and not for things I really need. Anyway anything that might be useful should be carefully checked.  A lot of cultural references will be unfamiliar to students plus grammar and vocabulary might be learned at different grade levels.

In fact a lot of the material will have so much unfamiliar cultural references they won't really be useable but its still worth checking all kinds of places. You never know where you'll find a new gem.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:38:27 pm by NorthernJapanALT »

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 01:26:10 pm »
Personally I use a lot of ppt. in my lessons, quite a few have been uploaded to the ALTopedia page. I recommend adaptable ones like Gang War, Invasion USA and the Totally Awesome Quiz Game. Here in Japan whether you can use much tech in class really depends on your town. There are a lot more resources than there used to be, such as tablets and TVs but some towns are lagging behind. As for materials behind a paywall, I'd find it worth it if I was just starting out but at this point I've got hundreds worksheets, lesson plans and dozens of PPT. I generally search around for the odd new idea and not for things I really need. Anyway anything that might be useful should be carefully checked.  A lot of cultural references will be unfamiliar to students plus grammar and vocabulary might be learned at different grade levels.

In fact a lot of the material will have so much unfamiliar cultural references they won't really be useable but its still worth checking all kinds of places. You never know where you'll find a new gem.

I think I can agree with you for cultural references.  But some of the games can have the games and words edited to fit your textbooks.  I'd say Korea is middle of the road for technology.  No tablets, but computers and TVs in every class.  Probably the only benefit to getting behind a paywall here is if you want to introduce different games while putting your textbook materials in them.  But if you have hundreds already, I prob wouldn't bother.  I only did a quick search of your links, but will be interested to go back and look deeper soon. 

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• December 01, 2015, 08:59:17 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 06:32:41 pm »
I remade some of our PPT classics (and some of my own originals) into a site for teachers in Korea that you might like.

Because they're played in a browser, there's a bunch of benefits.

Here's a thread with more info

ESL in the ROK

p.s. let me know if you know someone that's willing to translate the student/teacher instructions from English to Japanese, cause I'd be willing to adapt the website for teachers in Japan
ESL in the ROK - 19 games for any lesson - simply enter your data/choose a lesson and play

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 08:03:05 am »
DaStrongOne, very cool stuff you've got there. My Japanese writing skills are still pretty limited and at present I'm not working with anyone tech savy enough to help you but a few times a year I get together with old coworkers in a bigger community and I'll let them know about your site. I'm sure they'll be interested and maybe know someone who can help you out.

Hangook, I started bringing in my own tablet years ago when the schools allow it and now generally use a school tablet. Its great for so many things such as kids filming commercials and skits and its fantastic for PPT activities. With the tablet the kids can press the icons on the screen and manage the points themselves. They love doing it and it frees up both ALT and JTE for checking work and helping groups that are struggling. A lot of stuff I make now is based on the idea that the kids can take care of all the game mechanics. It also means groups can work at their own pace rather than always doing wait  your turn activities. Hopefully your schools will one day get them (hopefully better quality than the ones we use). They really do open doors for new techniques.