Read 2682 times

Tax Time question
« on: January 10, 2020, 02:56:47 pm »
Can anyone explain how to login and download all my expenditures from the NTS site (I think)?
I last saw a topic on this but it was written in 2015 and the website has changed so the instructions don't work anymore.

I did most of my spending on my debit card/bank card so I need to print off my spending and give it to my admin office
for tax deductions.  Thanks!

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Tax Time question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 08:24:47 am »

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 10:40:37 am »
Go to this...

https://www.hometax.go.kr/websquare/websquare.wq?w2xPath=/ui/pp/index_pp.xml

Click on 로그인 in the top middle

Then go down to 비회원 로그인

Fill your name as on your alien card - 성명
Your Alien Card number - 주민등록번호

Then Log in with your financial certificate in the pop-up window.

Then you're logged in.

On the next page scroll down to 연말정산

And click on 연말정산 간소화

Then on the next page on the left side is 이용절차 안내

Only click on (02) if you have dependants

If not, then just click on blue 조회 next to (03)

On the next page click on the dropdown box for 귀속년도

And select 2019

Then click on the 14 blue boxes with pension, insurance, medical expenses etc. 

After that, above there is the 한번에 내려받기 box.  On the next pop-up then click on the 내려받기

Then you'll download the PDF onto your computer.

Then you can upload to NEIS.  If you have donations say to your school or church then you can ask your admin to upload those details.  Also, if you have cash receipts then that is done at this time.

Thing is at the moment it isn't loaded on for 2019.  I was talking with my admin as I go on holiday on Thursday and she said I can download the PDF from Wednesday this week.  So I'll download that, give it to her, and then she will upload to NEIS on Tuesday next week.   Then I'll sign bits when I come back and the adjustment will come out of my February salary.  Probably about 1.2 million or something as I don't pay monthly for my tax. 

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 07:37:41 am »
You can start this today...

NEIS from Monday 20th until Thursday 23rd

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 08:09:37 am »
Roni you legend, cheers bru. I got a text message yesterday reminding me that it's that time of year and was groaning at the thought of trying to remember how to do it all over again. You've saved my bacon  :-*
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 08:17:46 am »
Roni you legend, cheers bru. I got a text message yesterday reminding me that it's that time of year and was groaning at the thought of trying to remember how to do it all over again. You've saved my bacon  :-*

:-*

It's actually way simpler than what I described above.  You can use the above if you want to access your tax stuff all year round.

When you go to the Hometax site, you get two smiley blue faces, click on the left one 연말정산 간소화.  Then go through the login stuff as detailed.  Then it brings you automatically to the bit where you click on all the boxes and then download the PDF file.  I did mine now as it's always a little busy on the first day. 

See you in the grimy DnB basement DS!  Innit!

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 06:00:26 pm »
When I go to login and it wants my NPKI information, the password never works.  This happens to me every year, don't know why.  I entered in my password 5 times and it was wrong they said and closed it.  I used case sensitive but they don't let you type it, you have to use a mouse and click on this digital keyboard that pops up.  It's really annoying because it's my password but it doesn't work.

I'll have to go back to my bank again tomorrow and get another new certificate/key and set a new password.  Not exaggerating, I do this every year because my password after I make a new one never works a year later.  Weird!

My CT also told me my school finished the tax returns process in January so it's too late for me right now.  She did say that there is a second chance to do it in May.   Huh? I'm confused.  Is year-end tax settlement process already closed and too late to do it or was that just my own school's window?  This second chance I have to do it in May, is it just my school's operation timeline or is that nationwide true for everyone?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:28:45 pm by persimmon14 »

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 03:15:11 pm »
When I go to login and it wants my NPKI information, the password never works.  This happens to me every year, don't know why.  I entered in my password 5 times and it was wrong they said and closed it.  I used case sensitive but they don't let you type it, you have to use a mouse and click on this digital keyboard that pops up.  It's really annoying because it's my password but it doesn't work.

I'll have to go back to my bank again tomorrow and get another new certificate/key and set a new password.  Not exaggerating, I do this every year because my password after I make a new one never works a year later.  Weird!

My CT also told me my school finished the tax returns process in January so it's too late for me right now.  She did say that there is a second chance to do it in May.   Huh? I'm confused.  Is year-end tax settlement process already closed and too late to do it or was that just my own school's window?  This second chance I have to do it in May, is it just my school's operation timeline or is that nationwide true for everyone?

That's your school's window, and I would definitely talk to your CT again. Employees for companies, schools, etc. have until February 29th to submit their tax documents from Hometax. If you are registered as an employee then you should be able to still do them. However, if you are illegally registered as a contractor on an E2 visa, then you would do your taxes in May. If you search 2020 연말정산 기간 it will give you the tax dates.

Link to a website that lists out the dates: https://blog.naver.com/osan_si/221773709823

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 03:23:56 pm »
wait i thought the schools took care of our taxes? am i in for (another) rude (tax) awakening?

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 04:18:16 pm »
wait i thought the schools took care of our taxes? am i in for (another) rude (tax) awakening?

Yeah you don't have to do anything but if you do submit something then it could possibly lower your tax bill.  I've lived here for six years and never done it; can't be bothered lol.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 04:23:33 pm »
you definitely should hand you school accountant your 연말정산. it takes 5 minutes to download and could save you a good chunk

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 05:07:16 pm »
you definitely should hand you school accountant your 연말정산. it takes 5 minutes to download and could save you a good chunk

But what are we talking?  50,000?  For me it isn't worth the hassle of going through a Korean site and all its security add ons.

I submitted my key money and rent payments though only to be told they can't be taken into account.  I checked an online guide and it says something like "Foreigners cannot be the head of a household" lol.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 10:49:58 pm »
Not sure. Sometimes I get 400k back, sometimes nowt. The whole process took like 3 mins though

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 08:00:59 am »
Not sure. Sometimes I get 400k back, sometimes nowt. The whole process took like 3 mins though

Do you pay each month though?

I've never been too sure about how much it saves me exactly.  I'm sure that when I first starting paying tax after my tax-free period in public school and was on 2.4 million a month, without doing the Hometax stuff, I was paying about 2 million a year.  Which by UK standards is low.  I didn't get a credit card until about 6 years ago and that is what has most expediture on it.  I sent most of salary home before that, which is not included in any reduction. 

Last year, I got paid about 40 million which included my night classes and other extra class stuff.  My Hometax papers showed me that my credit card was 15 million, my check card was 600 000 won, my medical expenses were 600 000 won, my pension was 1.6 million, my health insurance was 1.3 million, my private health insurance was 340 000 won, my donations were 120 000 won.  As I just pay once a year I have to pay 1.4 million which will come out if this month's salary.  That is, what, 4% tax.  Really low.  It depends on what money you put back into the economy that means you move down a tax band.  My rented apartment could have been tax-deductible if I'd paid more deposit/rent, can't remember which.  I remember the estate agent mentioning it but wasn't really interested.  Also, there is a threshold for medical insurance, my 600 000won meant it didn't count towards any deduction.  Not sure what the qualifying threshold is. 

From experience, they input everything into NEIS if you ask them.  But if you know how to do it, then you can do it.  Then you just have to sign some papers that admin give you.  But I'm sure you have to get the Hometax stuff yourself as it's from your financial certificate.  I've not heard of a school being able to have your log in for that. 

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 08:11:51 am »
Ronnie, thanks so much for writing that guide above.  I just followed it and it was so easy!

I think my CT told me it's too late to submit it now although I've seen some people say Feb 29th is the cutoff.  I'll show her the PDF document and ask her again.

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 08:13:53 am »
But what are we talking?  50,000?  For me it isn't worth the hassle of going through a Korean site and all its security add ons.

I submitted my key money and rent payments though only to be told they can't be taken into account.  I checked an online guide and it says something like "Foreigners cannot be the head of a household" lol.

We can't be head of household as foreigners, but we can deduct our health insurance payments, our pension payments, hospital bills and medicine, credit card usage, debit card usage, cash payments, etc. If you are not doing these basic deductions you could end up owing 1 million or so. On the other hand if you take 5-10 minutes you could be getting upwards of 1 million back depending on your income and tax deductions. I would say on average most E2 teacher's get around 300-400,000 won back on their taxes. There are easy to follow English guides that show you step by step how to complete the Hometax process, if you struggle to do so in Korean.

Foreigners aren't technically supposed to be able to claim their housing. We can't claim it the same way that Koreans can. However, if you register your rent payments as a cash payment then you may be able to deduct it from your taxes. When you download your cash payments from Hometax, you will find your rent payments there. It is important to note that registering your rent as a cash payment can be hit or miss depending on who you talk to at the tax office. Some workers say that they need a receipt from your landlord in order to process it as a cash payment. However, most landlords don't give receipts. The way to get around this is to claim it after you move out. Just make sure you keep a copy of your housing contract and the statement from your bank showing where you've sent the money.  You have I believe up to 5 years to claim past deductions on your taxes. As I said, this can be hit or miss. Some foreigners have been able to claim it, while others couldn't. Just like many other things in Korea, it depends on who you talk to.

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 08:28:27 am »
If only I had known how easy it is!  Is Hometax a new site?  Literally had never heard about it until a couple of months ago.

Can you claim for previous years if you didn't claim at the time?

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 09:16:51 am »
If only I had known how easy it is!  Is Hometax a new site?  Literally had never heard about it until a couple of months ago.

Can you claim for previous years if you didn't claim at the time?

I think it's been around for several years. I believe that you can claim back taxes up to 5 years. In May, you can go to the tax office and make adjustments to your taxes. You would need your ARC card and your bank book. If you plan to claim your rent, you can try to do it then as well. So you would need a bank statement showing your payments, and your rental contract. The tax office can look up your deductions from the Hometax website, but on the safe side I would bring along your past tax deductions printed out just in case.

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 09:18:55 am »
I think it's been around for several years. I believe that you can claim back taxes up to 5 years. In May, you can go to the tax office and make adjustments to your taxes. You would need your ARC card and your bank book. If you plan to claim your rent, you can try to do it then as well. So you would need a bank statement showing your payments, and your rental contract. The tax office can look up your deductions from the Hometax website, but on the safe side I would bring along your past tax deductions printed out just in case.

Nice one, thanks for the info  ;D

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 09:41:59 am »
not sure if this is worth making a different thread, but i forgot to pay US taxes last year and i have no idea about how to go about paying back taxes (in general, but especially from abroad)... any advice? i'm a super noob (i only paid 1 year of taxes in the US before coming here)