Read 3029 times

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: What do you hate about your home country?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2020, 07:51:03 pm »
i'm not a huge fan of british food, but fry ups are one of the best. why did you put bacon and sausages in quote marks?
Yeah, but that's something you should eat like, once a month. The older I get, the more I realize just how unsuitable that is for breakfast. I want to head out feeling refreshed, not like I need to go take a nap and am already worried if I'm going to have to take a massive afternoon shit.

A full English is useful if you have a really busy day and don't want the hassle of organising lunch.

No, it's useful if it's 9AM and you're still drunk and British and need something to soak up the alcohol.
Yes this is literally what fry ups are for

Also, I can see the appeal of American bacon (it's yum!) but American sausages..? Basically tube-shaped mystery meat, aren't they?

Yeah anyway I agree with stoat. I admitted I don't like British food much either, and said I like fry ups. I'm not saying it's quality cuisine.. Just that I like it

He's the one who keeps accusing people of being white supremacists but, as someone else pointed out before, he's one of the few people on here who actually comes across as angry that people from other countries like their own stuff

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2020, 03:07:09 am »
I love pub grub and really miss it.

Burgers with beets and eggs on top are great, too. There's a little Aussie store in Itaewon that does them.
incumbo studiis

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2020, 08:24:41 am »

Burgers with beets and eggs on top are great, too. There's a little Aussie store in Itaewon that does them.
I miss chili con carne, ministrone and goulash.

In Canada (and the U.S.) I took for granted the cultural variety EASILY available. I'd just ask someone on the street and would be pointed in the right direction.

In Korea, there are several awesome kinds of stew, but none like the trio I cite above.

• Fidel
  • Explorer

• January 05, 2020, 07:44:59 am
    • Nz
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2020, 12:00:00 pm »
Extremely high house prices, particularly hard for first home house buyers. Im ok, as purchased a while back and my house has trebled in value but if I sell going to increase my mortgage a lot
High tax - I pay 50k in tax annually
The weather over Xmas when on holiday.  Usually average but when you go back to work summer finally kicks in. 

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2020, 07:09:57 am »
The blindspot the British have over the perception THEY have of their breakfast vs. how much of the world regards it and its levelnof culinary quality is astounding. When old Rumpole of the Bailey cited it as one of the great British gifts to the world, it's both charming and a bit delusional.

All that being said, when you're drunk at 3AM, American/British breakfast is so damn good.
Who's saying its a culinary masterpiece?

No one is saying it's a culinary masterpiece, except martin.  I also don't remember any Brits waxing lyrical about greasy spoon breakfasts, except possibly truck drivers with high cholesterol.  When you're a uni student, they're great for soaking up excess alcohol the morning after, but these days they're just not healthy.  Like an Ulster fry up.  Which my younger brother gets when he visits his in-laws in NI. 

I don't think Brits are under any illusion that we are some culinary greats in the world.  We have a great selection of decent foreign cuisine and a decent choice of ingredients, but we don't really have a 'national dish', as in something that is eaten regularly like you would with Koreans and that red, spicy cabbage dealy I can't quite remember the name of.  When I talk to my students about British food, I say, erroneously or not, that breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day as it sets you up for the day ahead.  Decent breakfast, light lunch and normal dinner.   :undecided:

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2020, 11:07:29 am »
Canada:

Despise the liberal politics

Loathe the weather

I live in the tropics!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2020, 11:21:26 am »

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2020, 01:26:18 pm »
Imagine not cooking bacon for long enough, then saying it's vile and never goes crispy... madness.

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2020, 02:12:07 pm »
I live in the tropics!

Yeah, man. Didn't you know? I have lived in the tropics for a long time. I wear socks 2 or 3 times a year, usually it's because of a wedding, you know, when I have to wear shoes.

You don't live in the tropics? Why?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2020, 02:20:16 pm »
I live in the tropics!

Yeah, man. Didn't you know? I have lived in the tropics for a long time. I wear socks 2 or 3 times a year, usually it's because of a wedding, you know, when I have to wear shoes.

The tropics cover a large area, which part in particular do you live in, I am sure we are all dying to know.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2020, 12:03:38 pm »

The tropics cover a large area, which part in particular do you live in, I am sure we are all dying to know.

No you're not. Homie don't play that.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2020, 05:22:21 am »
;D
incumbo studiis