Read 3026 times

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: What do you hate about your home country?
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2020, 05:17:37 am »
OCC. Retail stores offer little selection so almost everything has to be ordered online, even from the brick and mortar stores. Everything comes in a box that has to be cut up and put into the recycling bin.

Just had an office chair delivered--a homeless person could ride out a hurricane in that box.

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2020, 06:13:47 am »
Nothing really.

My home country has a few 'yobbos'.  However, one can escape these yobbos by getting a backpack and hiking and camping in the National Parks for a few days.  I don't think it is legal to go hiking/camping in South Korean National parks.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2020, 06:21:56 am »
i'm not a huge fan of british food, but fry ups are one of the best. why did you put bacon and sausages in quote marks?
Yeah, but that's something you should eat like, once a month. The older I get, the more I realize just how unsuitable that is for breakfast. I want to head out feeling refreshed, not like I need to go take a nap and am already worried if I'm going to have to take a massive afternoon shit.

A full English is useful if you have a really busy day and don't want the hassle of organising lunch.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2020, 06:43:22 am »
Spice addicts and Chinese tourists taking photos of my students (only the blonde and oddly so, ginger ones).
incumbo studiis

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2020, 07:25:01 am »
i'm not a huge fan of british food, but fry ups are one of the best. why did you put bacon and sausages in quote marks?

British bacon is absolutely vile. It never goes crispy, just turns pinkish-grey and curls up at the edges, leaving little pools of water and grease on the surface and a border of inedible fat on the ends. It's like an old piece of ham, cooked by a 5-year-old.

Tomatoes can be an acceptable addition to the fry-up but they're too often slightly charred on the cut side, but otherwise hard and watery. Black pudding and potato scones are great, though, so Scotland is by far the superior breakfast nation.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2020, 07:30:03 am »
I don't think it is legal to go hiking/camping in South Korean National parks.
Millions of Koreans go hiking in national parks and thousands camp there.

I have hiked seven mountainous parks here and camped at three of them. Byeonsan was the best! Campsites by the sea and also up the mountain.

Jirisan has sleeping huts and also over a half dozen campsites. 2- to 3-day trips are possible in the big park. I have crisscrossed the trails five times, once in winter. Very nice.

In addition to national parks, camping at beaches has been a pleasure i indulged in for over a decade. Not Gyeongpoedae or Haeundae, absurdly busy, though i mistakenly cramped my tent amidst a swarm of noisy campers at Hyopjae on Jeju. I hit the less crowded beaches, where no more than fifty or so other campers are. The south coast, from the awesome Buan peninsula north of Mokpo around to Hakdong and Myeongsa beach on Geoje, is full of great camping. I plan a 3- to 6- month trip in one of the coming summers of this decade to re-visit one last time (before returning to my home country) all the Southern coastal places I have pitched a tent over the years.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:32:17 am by VanIslander »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2020, 10:29:14 am »

British bacon is absolutely vile. It never goes crispy, just turns pinkish-grey and curls up at the edges, leaving little pools of water and grease on the surface and a border of inedible fat on the ends. It's like an old piece of ham, cooked by a 5-year-old.

Tomatoes can be an acceptable addition to the fry-up but they're too often slightly charred on the cut side, but otherwise hard and watery. Black pudding and potato scones are great, though, so Scotland is by far the superior breakfast nation.
you just ain;t cooking it long enough. but tomatoes can **** off yeah

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2020, 11:22:04 am »
There are not many dishes in the world that can top a good plate of egg and chips
washed down with a pint of Carlsberg.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2020, 12:32:48 pm »
The United Kingdom is top-10 in the world in cardio-vascular disease death rate.

And it most likely ain't got nothing to do with beans and tomatoes!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2020, 12:38:35 pm »
The United Kingdom is top-10 in the world in cardio-vascular disease death rate.

And it most likely ain't got nothing to do with beans and tomatoes!
what

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 04:05:08 pm »
The blindspot the British have over the perception THEY have of their breakfast vs. how much of the world regards it and its levelnof culinary quality is astounding. When old Rumpole of the Bailey cited it as one of the great British gifts to the world, it's both charming and a bit delusional.

All that being said, when you're drunk at 3AM, American/British breakfast is so damn good.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2020, 04:12:23 pm »
The blindspot the British have over the perception THEY have of their breakfast vs. how much of the world regards it and its levelnof culinary quality is astounding. When old Rumpole of the Bailey cited it as one of the great British gifts to the world, it's both charming and a bit delusional.

All that being said, when you're drunk at 3AM, American/British breakfast is so damn good.
Who's saying its a culinary masterpiece?

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2020, 04:28:50 pm »
I've encountered loads of Brits who think their brekkies are amazing, and also think that Cadbury's is quality chocolate and that they have the best cheeses in the world. They have decent cheese, but other European countries do it better. If anything they should brag about some of the pies they have, that's the real deal.

Brits tend to eat pretty poorly for the most part anyhow. Better quality ingredients and what-not than the States (and possibly Canada, they seem to love American processed "foods"), but then mess it up and turn it into junk food. Or maybe it's just me. I guess chips on a bread roll has some charm, think Pippin was fond of it in Return of the King.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2020, 05:56:55 pm »
they were probably just comparing cheese and choc to the stuff you can buy in korea (and america?). i've never met anyone that thinks british cheese is better than european though..? the variety of cheese you can get in korea is awful however, and the popular chocolate seems to be that hersheys rubbish- that's probably why you hear brits complain.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2020, 06:03:21 pm »
they were probably just comparing cheese and choc to the stuff you can buy in korea (and america?). i've never met anyone that thinks british cheese is better than european though..? the variety of cheese you can get in korea is awful however, and the popular chocolate seems to be that hersheys rubbish- that's probably why you hear brits complain.

There was a poll about it on this very site not long ago and most people thought British cheese was best.

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=117021.msg790075#msg790075

The UK now produces more varieties of cheese than France, which was second choice.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/britain-now-a-bigger-cheese-than-france-j3vdn8s6g

Personally I don't think you can beat a good creamy Stilton
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:05:21 pm by stoat »

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2020, 06:41:02 pm »
Yeah, but that's something you should eat like, once a month. The older I get, the more I realize just how unsuitable that is for breakfast. I want to head out feeling refreshed, not like I need to go take a nap and am already worried if I'm going to have to take a massive afternoon shit.

A full English is useful if you have a really busy day and don't want the hassle of organising lunch.

No, it's useful if it's 9AM and you're still drunk and British and need something to soak up the alcohol.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2020, 06:44:16 pm »
The UK has never claimed to have fancy cuisine. It's largely based on simple stodgy food to keep people's energy levels up in a crap climate.  Most of what you'd call British food nowadays is served at greasy spoon cafs, chippies or pubs, so you're likely to have some bad experiences if you only frequent those places. Anyone who's staying for a while in the UK and is picky about their food would make use of the massive choice of foreign restaurants with foreign cooks available in every town or city in the UK.

Oh here we go.

"B-b-but British food isn't that bad, is it? Jamie Oliver did a show this one time on TV where he cooked with garlic! Things have changed so much! You can get curry on every corner! We have pizza and donuts now, just like the big boy yanks!"

The problem is that all the "great new food" is still aimed at a British palate. So it's soggy, over-salted, overpriced, tasteless.

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2020, 06:51:25 pm »

This guy gets it. I don't get why anyone eats British bacon gray fried ham or nasty British sausages crusty tubes of unseasoned mush when far superior American bacon and sausages exist.

Sadly here in New Zealand, sausage culture is just about as bad as in Korea--everyone loves sausages and barbecues them in the summer, but they're basically just nasty hot dogs instead of the massive variety of nicely spiced sausages you get in America. They have "streaky" bacon here which is kind of like American bacon, but not as good.

You'd think that if anyone ate American bacon once in their life they'd reject their old bacon gods and devote their lives to superior American bacon. Maybe it's just a secret that the rest of the world isn't worthy of knowing about as they laugh at us while eating their gruel.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2020, 06:54:06 pm »
The UK has never claimed to have fancy cuisine. It's largely based on simple stodgy food to keep people's energy levels up in a crap climate.  Most of what you'd call British food nowadays is served at greasy spoon cafs, chippies or pubs, so you're likely to have some bad experiences if you only frequent those places. Anyone who's staying for a while in the UK and is picky about their food would make use of the massive choice of foreign restaurants with foreign cooks available in every town or city in the UK.

Oh here we go.

"B-b-but British food isn't that bad, is it? Jamie Oliver did a show this one time on TV where he cooked with garlic! Things have changed so much! You can get curry on every corner! We have pizza and donuts now, just like the big boy yanks!"

The problem is that all the "great new food" is still aimed at a British palate. So it's soggy, over-salted, overpriced, tasteless.

I don't know what more you want. I admitted British food is simple and stodgy.   Are you trying to make out that the UK doesn't have a lot of diversity in restaurants now? You do know that London is the most diverse city on earth, don't you?  Or are you trying to make the point that even all the foreign restaurants in the UK serve crappy food because they've been negatively influenced by the host country's cuisine?  I'd say that was a little far-fetched.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2020, 07:15:49 pm »

No, it's useful if it's 9AM and you're still drunk and British and need something to soak up the alcohol.
Yes this is literally what fry ups are for

Also, I can see the appeal of American bacon (it's yum!) but American sausages..? Basically tube-shaped mystery meat, aren't they?

Yeah anyway I agree with stoat. I admitted I don't like British food much either, and said I like fry ups. I'm not saying it's quality cuisine.. Just that I like it