Read 3044 times

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Re: What do you hate about your home country?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 09:14:39 am »
Ronnie, are you British?

Nothing cyanide said was untrue. Maybe the language they used may be unpalatable to you but it is essentially the truth. There are thousands of people struggling to get by, be it zero-hour contracts, food banks etc. While money is thrown at immigrants left, right and center. You can spend thousands on visas, paperwork, documentation. Or jump in a boat and show up on a beach and get it for free.

I don't think anyone has a problem with someone wanting a better life for themselves, isn't that we all want? But get in line, wait your turn and pay your dues to the country. Can you imagine us rocking up to Korea and saying give me free stuff? Naa mate. We work, we get visas and we do not commit crime. Why is it racist to want people to behave like that in the UK and whilst trying to move there? Easier to just call people racists isn't it. Immigration, good. Illegal Immigration, bad.

Anyway.

Bad

- The weather, (not the rain, but ALWAYS windy)
- Parking costs
- Excessive regulations on almost anything (hopefully this dies down after leaving EU)
- Chavs and young carrying knives
- S*** roads and traffic
- 'Progressive' superiority trends (Vegan trend right now)
- Celebrity obsession and TV show obsession (I'm a celeb/strictly/x factor)
- Extreme rent prices
- Lack of fashion sense or effort of appearance
- Time of football kick offs
- Terrorism risk

Good

- Food (People saying British food is bad are delusional)
- Product availability (I can buy Korean food in the UK - Not vice versa)
- Pub culture / banter between friends / neighbours
- Christmas

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 09:18:09 am »

Living in Korea has given me perspective on this.  When my dad was over for Christmas, he was here for one week and of the seven days, only one day had air quality below 100 by AQICN, the other six days were 120+.  It's depressing and even my dad was surprised by it.  So now when my family complain it's raining in England, I would take that over air that may kill me.

yea the air quality is the first thing i notice when i go back to england. i'd have weather and air quality in two different categories though

spot on about the whiny threads by cyanea though

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 09:32:54 am »
I hate how boring NZ is.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 10:56:04 am »
I hate how boring NZ is.
I spent a month in Auckland, back in January of '05, and loved every minute of it.

The world is perpetually interesting if you keep moving around. I haven't met a boring place. I've moved to a new town 14 times in my life, the two longest stretches being 7 years at each of two places:  Kamloops, B.C. Canada for end of elementary school through end of high school, and Jeju Island from late 2009 to early 2017.

Of all the places i've lived, the two longest are least interesting to return to, apart from the people there.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 11:32:47 am »
As others have said, a pervasive air of aggression especially anytime alcohol is involved

I'd like to add this to my list. Four or five pints and a grown Irish man is a middle school bully again, picking fights with anyone not in his clique. It doesn't demonstrate your toughness or high T levels, but your low IQ. Obviously it's only a minority of Irish men who do this, but it is orders of magnitude more common than in Korea.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 11:35:37 am »
As others have said, a pervasive air of aggression especially anytime alcohol is involved

I'd like to add this to my list. Four or five pints and a grown Irish man is a middle school bully again, picking fights with anyone not in his clique. It doesn't demonstrate your toughness or high T levels, but your low IQ. Obviously it's only a minority of Irish men who do this, but it is orders of magnitude more common than in Korea.

I hate this.

:huh: WhAt ArE You LOokInG At?

:police: Your general direction/to my left/that side of the pub?

Like, wtf, I can't look around anymore?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:25:11 am by VanIslander »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 11:53:18 am »
Brexit.

Overpriced train fares (air travel can be ridiculously cheap.

An abundance of fat people.

An abundance of people who don't care about their appearance.

Drunk/drug addicts on the street.

Knife culture.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:28:55 pm by Savant »

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 12:04:18 pm »
While money is thrown at immigrants left, right and center. You can spend thousands on visas, paperwork, documentation. Or jump in a boat and show up on a beach and get it for free.

Can you explain the intermediary steps between arriving on a beach in, say, Greece, and having the British government "throw money" at you? ? How long do you think it takes - using Cyanea's formulation - to arrive from North Africa as an economic migrant, obtain EU national status, migrate to Britain, get "money thrown at you" and live under some kind of favored conditions relative to British citizens? What process would you follow if you were standing on a beach in Algeria right now, waiting for a boat, and this was your goal? And what is the proportion of the social welfare budget spent on British citizens vs. refugees (since I'm assuming that's who you're referring to)?

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 02:02:47 pm »
Vandalism, gangs, homelessness, ticket-happy cops, heavy metal music, car racing on public streets, high taxes, the difficulty tuning out advertising, infrequent buses, expensive taxis and car repair, the long Christmasy season, snow piled up blocking walkways by snowplow trucks, pushy salesmen, the smell of marijuana on people, dog poo in parks, spiders galore, bad service at government offices, and the inconvenience of having to buy uncut, unwashed leafy veggies.

is your home country the 1980s?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Graffiti in subways. People running around with vests and no shirts. Parks are always filled with violence. No safety rails on the subway platforms so you can get pushed in front. Radio DJs openly promoting violence.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 02:07:07 pm »
Vandalism, gangs, homelessness, ticket-happy cops, heavy metal music, car racing on public streets, high taxes, the difficulty tuning out advertising, infrequent buses, expensive taxis and car repair, the long Christmasy season, snow piled up blocking walkways by snowplow trucks, pushy salesmen, the smell of marijuana on people, dog poo in parks, spiders galore, bad service at government offices, and the inconvenience of having to buy uncut, unwashed leafy veggies.

is your home country the 1980s?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Graffiti in subways. People running around with vests and no shirts. Parks are always filled with violence. No safety rails on the subway platforms so you can get pushed in front. Radio DJs openly promoting violence.

warriors~ come out to play~

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 02:16:58 pm »
Ronnie, are you British?

You should know by now that the Brits on this site are in two camps:  those who like their country and somewhat miss it and those who hate their own country, slag it off at every opportunity and hate the people who live there (Brexit voting scum).  Guess which camp Ronnie is in haha.

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 02:20:15 pm »
Cheap Golf
Clean Rivers and Lakes
Guns
Horses
Low Light Pollution a few hours drive away
Flying
Yachting
Fishing Cabins
Tailgaiting
Pig Roasts
Being able to work on a car in your garage
Spud Guns and all other sorts of dumb DIY stuff
Whole Foods buffet
Country Music
Performing Arts
Sports Talk Radio

Dislikes:
People with 50 bumper stickers on their car blaring their opinions
Everyone on knifes edge over saying something offensive
Hispterdom
Everyone trying to be different/important/heard/in charge/significant
Not being able to have a conversation where each person gets a chance to have their say
Crime
Nanny State creep
First World Problems
People treating their 2/10 situation or political gripe like it's an 11/10
Ratchetness and thugishness (from people of all colors- this is more of an age thing than a race thing *cough* West Coast Asians *cough*)
Not being able to go to sporting events without worrying about violence in the stands or the parking lot
Hard drugs and to a lesser extent, drug culture in general. Somewhere along the way pot went from something you did and you just did it to some sort of weird pseudo-spiritual almost evangelist nonsense.
Cars with 4 subs blasting at 2000 watts each causing tremors like the San Andreas Fault is about to go.
Slow speed of bureacracy

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 03:47:48 pm »
Ronnie, are you British?

You should know by now that the Brits on this site are in two camps:  those who like their country and somewhat miss it and those who hate their own country, slag it off at every opportunity and hate the people who live there (Brexit voting scum).  Guess which camp Ronnie is in haha.

Or the somewhere's and the anywhere's as David Goodhart names them in his book 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Somewhere-Populist-Revolt-Politics/dp/1849047995

Goodhart renames the new tribes the “Anywheres” (roughly 20 to 25 per cent of the population) and the “Somewheres” (about half), with the rest in between. And it broadly works. Those who see the world from anywhere are, he points out, the ones who dominate our culture and society, doing well at school and moving to a residential university, and then into a professional career, often in London or abroad. “Such people have portable ‘achieved’ identities,” he says, “based on educational and career success which makes them . . . comfortable and confident with new places and people.”

The rebels are those more rooted in geographical identity – the Scottish farmer, working-class Geordie, Cornish housewife – who find the rapid changes of the modern world unsettling. They are likely to be older and less well educated. “They have lost economically with the decline of well-paid jobs for people without qualifications and culturally, too, with the disappearance of a distinct working-class culture and the marginalisation of their views in the public conversation,” Goodhart writes. He argues that this distinction, emerging from a melange of social and cultural views together with life experiences, matters more than old distinctions of right and left, or social class."

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:02:18 pm by stoat »

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 05:59:06 pm »

Good

- Food (People saying British food is bad are delusional)

LOL British food is awful especially considering what you pay for it. An endless buffet of soggy, fried, salty garbage. And then you go and eat mushrooms and tomatoes for breakfast (on the side of your mountain of disgusting "bacon", "sausages," eggs and beans) and marmite/vegemite and pretend that you're normal people.

Last year I made the mistake of spending a couple weeks enjoying the food in France then went to the UK. It was basically going from the best food on the planet to a post-apocalyptic dystopia where modern agriculture has failed and people are reduced to eating whatever scraps they can scrounge up. Except that this garbage is actually food that Brits choose to spend their money on and claim to enjoy eating. Even my kiwi wife was horrified by British food, and she comes from a country that puts beets on everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdO_bYby1U
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 07:30:48 pm »
See attached:

(j/k)

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 07:31:23 pm »
i'm not a huge fan of british food, but fry ups are one of the best. why did you put bacon and sausages in quote marks?

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2020, 07:41:13 pm »
The UK has never claimed to have fancy cuisine. It's largely based on simple stodgy food to keep people's energy levels up in a crap climate.  Most of what you'd call British food nowadays is served at greasy spoon cafs, chippies or pubs, so you're likely to have some bad experiences if you only frequent those places. Anyone who's staying for a while in the UK and is picky about their food would make use of the massive choice of foreign restaurants with foreign cooks available in every town or city in the UK.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2020, 08:32:47 pm »
The UK has never claimed to have fancy cuisine. It's largely based on simple stodgy food to keep people's energy levels up in a crap climate.  Most of what you'd call British food nowadays is served at greasy spoon cafs, chippies or pubs, so you're likely to have some bad experiences if you only frequent those places. Anyone who's staying for a while in the UK and is picky about their food would make use of the massive choice of foreign restaurants with foreign cooks available in every town or city in the UK.

Went home recently and I forgot how decent the food choices are in the restaurants supermarkets. More quality and reasonably priced. Lamb steaks, ham joints, roasts, ales on tap...

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 12:46:05 am »
i'm not a huge fan of british food, but fry ups are one of the best. why did you put bacon and sausages in quote marks?
Yeah, but that's something you should eat like, once a month. The older I get, the more I realize just how unsuitable that is for breakfast. I want to head out feeling refreshed, not like I need to go take a nap and am already worried if I'm going to have to take a massive afternoon shit.