Read 734 times

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
End of contract housekeeping...
« on: January 09, 2020, 09:02:22 am »
My EPIK contract will end this February and after my husband and I move, I will start looking for other teaching jobs here. I've not changed jobs since I've lived here, been at the same school for 2 years, so I'm not sure if there are any documents I need to request from my school upon leaving. Obviously some jobs might request a copy of my CRC and I can get that from immigration. But are there any other documents that aren't as obvious?  I know Korea has a "certificate of employment" (재직증명서) that you can get from your job upon leaving, but is there anything else you've found you needed later or wish you had requested while still at the previous job?

Any other suggestions of housekeeping stuff to do before the last day of a contract is welcome as well. What did you do? What do you wish you had done?

Thanks in advance!  :azn:

Re: End of contract housekeeping...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:04:29 am »
Maybe a recommendation letter if you can get one. Could help you in the job search in the future or if you wanted to go back to school. I try to stay in contact with my good coteachers because they have helped me out after I left and we still get together for dinner etc....those are the people I will call if I ever need a recommendation letter. I always make sure to get tax documents and copies of my monthly pay for records and tax purposes...I am from the USA, and it is helpful to have those.

I haven't left my job, but I have transferred to a new location 2 times. If you will still be in Korea, it's possible to get the documents later, but still couldn't hurt to get copies of everything your POE has on you....CRC, diploma etc

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• Anseong
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 11:18:54 am »
Maybe a recommendation letter if you can get one. Could help you in the job search in the future or if you wanted to go back to school. I try to stay in contact with my good coteachers because they have helped me out after I left and we still get together for dinner etc....those are the people I will call if I ever need a recommendation letter. I always make sure to get tax documents and copies of my monthly pay for records and tax purposes...I am from the USA, and it is helpful to have those.

I haven't left my job, but I have transferred to a new location 2 times. If you will still be in Korea, it's possible to get the documents later, but still couldn't hurt to get copies of everything your POE has on you....CRC, diploma etc

Oh I didn't even think of the tax info! I'm also from the US and have been here 2 years now, so I'll be required to file Korean taxes next year I think.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 11:27:56 am »
Yes, you will be required to file Korean taxes (your employer may or may not do it for you) and the information will be included on your US taxes, as those still have to be filed every year regardless of your Korean tax status.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 11:57:15 am »
Might not be relevant to you, but it can be helpful to get a reference from your landlord showing that you were a good tenant as well. Never hurts to have pieces of paper with other people's good opinions of you written on them, right?

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• Anseong
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 12:58:50 pm »
Might not be relevant to you, but it can be helpful to get a reference from your landlord showing that you were a good tenant as well. Never hurts to have pieces of paper with other people's good opinions of you written on them, right?
That's a good idea!  Thanks!

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 02:23:54 pm »
Iím really disappointed this topic isnít an argument about the morality of whether to clean your apartment for the next teacher.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• Anseong
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 02:39:26 pm »
Iím really disappointed this topic isnít an argument about the morality of whether to clean your apartment for the next teacher.

It never occurred to me  that some people might not also use "housekeeping" as "miscellaneous paperwork bits" too lol.

That being said, I wanted to be nice and leave a table and lamp I don't need for the teacher replacing me and my co said not to because they'd have to pay to throw it away? (I don't think that's true at all. She didn't even know where to get trash bags when I first moved in.) So much for being nice I guess.

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 07:44:32 am »
right? while I understand the culture of Koreans is to leave it a mess for the next person and their friends to clean, we are not Korean and do not have ANY friends here to help us clean.
On the same note I can't believe how disgusting my apartment was. I am fairly certain it wasn't cleaned ONCE during the 2 year stay from the previous teacher. there was black mold in the sink drains that literally must have taken months upon months to form. and the toilet SEAT was brown. I haven't seen something that disgusting since I went to the punk rock bar in my hometown.

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 07:48:01 am »

It never occurred to me  that some people might not also use "housekeeping" as "miscellaneous paperwork bits" too lol.

That being said, I wanted to be nice and leave a table and lamp I don't need for the teacher replacing me and my co said not to because they'd have to pay to throw it away? (I don't think that's true at all. She didn't even know where to get trash bags when I first moved in.) So much for being nice I guess.
I would just leave it. Who's to say they won't appreciate it and use it? I have several things I will, or might leave behind. But I also live in a complex that has an area for big items, no sticker needed. and that's where I'm certain half the stuff in the apartment came from anyway!