Read 1027 times

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
MS grade 1 "Free Year" Class Ideas?
« on: January 06, 2020, 10:30:56 am »
This coming year, my school will be doing a "free year" for the first graders, rather than a "free semester" (자유학기). They've asked me to do a special class once a week (2 class periods, so 45+45 = 90 mins) for the school year. This wouldn't put me overtime, and would be during regular hours. I need to give the class a name (and name only) by the end of this week.

Question: What topic / materials should I use? Any suggestions welcome.

P.S. I currently also run two after-school classes, Travel+Countries and Creative Writing. I don't want to duplicate these.

P.P.S. No budget, as far as I know, although I have a pretty well-stocked classroom (markers, iClay, board/card games, acting props, etc.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:46:35 am by shostager »

Re: MS grade 1 "Free Year" Class Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 10:33:47 am »
Do you have a budget for this class?

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 10:45:01 am »
Do you have a budget for this class?

As far as I know, no, although I have a decent amount of leftover materials from previous camps (iclay, coffee filters, hot glue guns, etc). I also have a decent amount of card / board games (my own), but I did a "games" camp this previous summer. I don't have a textbook, although I would be willing to buy one copy for myself, and copy and/or adapt the activities for the class.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 10:58:44 am »
My students always loved learning about holidays and making food/crafts based on those holidays. They talked about the history, origins, traditions, their opinions of the holidays, how it's done/different in Korea etc.

Halloween - origami bats, pumpkins, witches
Christmas - Smores
Thanksgiving - dream catchers
Parents day - thank you cards

You could do holidays around the world, including your country and Korean holidays too....the students can "teach" you about Korean holidays. It could be like a project based class/you teaching class. Korean holidays you have them make presentations/posters/dances/songs/poems/dioramas etc but the other holidays you are more the presenter. So you could take more than 1 week per holiday. One week start the topic and do some eng activities about them and then the next week do something more physical like making crafts or snacks and the students present something. It would almost be like a semester/year long camp, but more speaking/reading/writing/listening focus than camp I guess.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 11:02:01 am »
I know at the schools I've taught at the 1st graders are focusing on different jobs. So you could also do that but in an English perspective with vocabulary etc. You could tailor it to the jobs your students want....ie. chef, youtuber, teacher etc. You could teach about teachers for example and then show how education is different in your country than in Korea. I always do that lesson with my 1st grade students and they have so many questions. My students wanted to be able to talk about their dream jobs and learn the English vocabulary related to their jobs.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 11:11:12 am »
ah, i believe all of korea is rolling out that schedule for 1st grade middle school students ^^

you could do ...
- 'pop song' class.
- easy cooking class **this doesnt have to be every time..but at the end or after a month you can do a small cooking project and have students bring their own materials
- movie class (where you learn a script/dialogue, students can read it or act it out in groups of figure out some other activity around the movie and then show the movie bit by bit)
- diorama (i combined this w/ the movie, Zootopia. so we learned new vocab, expressions about the movie and then we made a diorama in partners about different terrains and describe our diorama)
- youtube/video making class - **students will need their cellphones! this will actually take some work...but some other korean teachers have done this where students make a short film with their group and it's pretty fun to watch at the end of the semester/year!

anyway id just look at other free semester ideas/english camps, fine ways to elongate it or tweak it however you want to fit it for the year. you can make your free class title kinda vague so you can be as flexible as possible too heh.

personally i like those 90 min (2 sandwiched classes) b/c i like doing projects and can give students more individual attention.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 01:00:00 pm »
Thank you for all of the ideas, guys!

I'm thinking of calling my class "Hot Issues" now, and shoehorning interesting topics in (music = best band / what makes a crazy fan, movies = recent popular movies / what makes a movie good, Youtube/jobs = is Youtuber a real job?, how do different countries celebrate (insert kind of holiday here)?, etc.).

(Note that I would be avoiding very hot-button issues - I'm thinking more along the lines of "uniforms vs. no uniforms", if exotic pets should be allowed, "Do people use their phones too much?", things like that.)

This should allow me to use interesting short articles (I tend to find info, and rewrite proper leveled versions myself - not too much work; I've done this a lot), choose topics the students are interested in, and have the students learn how to state their (simple) opinions.

My current planned lesson structure:

Warm-Up: Students come in and vote on today's question before sitting down, giving their first impressions. Then they brainstorm words related to today's topic.

Vocabulary Intro and Practice: Introduce today's vocabulary, have students connect them to their meanings and use them in fill-in-the-blanks

Reading + Comprehension: Ss read the article and work with a partner to write their answers (if they want, solo work okay too)

Discussion: Check answers, ask students what they wrote for opinion questions, lead a basic classroom discussion. After the discussion, survey students again, to see if the answers have changed.

Writing: Ss write something related to today's topic (create a band, make a social media profile, write about their current/dream pet, etc.)

Activities: Do activities related to today's topic (themed game, song activities, make a diorama, etc.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:03:08 pm by shostager »