Read 1394 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Rice bugs
« on: January 05, 2020, 09:12:33 am »
right, so i went to cook some rice today, and in the rice container i saw hundreds of little (alive!) bugs crawling around. i told my wife, and she was all, "yeah, i know, they are rice bugs. it's fine". well, i've never seen them before, but apparently i've been eating bug-infested rice for a while.

anyway, it completely grossed me out, and i said i'll throw all the infected stuff away and buy new stuff. however, my wife insists there's no point and many koreans have rice bugs (we always eat rice-infected bugs at my MIL's place apparently) and just accept and eat them. this is literally the first time i have heard about this or seen these bugs.

wtf?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:15:26 am by oglop »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Rice bugs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 09:21:17 am »
Protein.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 09:38:50 am »
Throw it away. Eat fresh rice, that rice is old.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 12:16:41 pm »
I found bugs in my rice once, and when I mentioned it to a coteacher, he recommended I let some large empty water bottles dry out then use them for rice storage. I've been doing it ever since, and I haven't had any more problems.

Not my pic, but something like this:

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 12:23:37 pm »
We eat them. Extra protein

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 03:42:14 pm »
I assume you mean you have an infestation of pantry Moths (Indian meal moths) or rather their larvae.., which later turn into moths.

I used to get the same until I switched to using plastic airtight containers. Which you can buy at any supermarket in the kitchenware section.

https://www.almanac.com/news/home-health/natural-living/how-get-rid-pantry-moths-and-worms

Catch my drift?

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 04:00:11 pm »
Protein.

POWs were reportedly healthier than their Jap. guards because of them.
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 04:18:11 pm »
I assume you mean you have an infestation of pantry Moths (Indian meal moths) or rather their larvae.., which later turn into moths.

I used to get the same until I switched to using plastic airtight containers. Which you can buy at any supermarket in the kitchenware section.

https://www.almanac.com/news/home-health/natural-living/how-get-rid-pantry-moths-and-worms

actually i had these before too. ugh. wasn't this though. i looked into it and apparently they are a kind of weevil.

anyway, i threw it all out and bought a newer airtight container rice from coupang. hopefully it'll work. if not, i'll do the tip Mister Tim suggested (good tip btw).

thunderlips: can't tell if you're trolling or not

man, it so so gross. i remember my wife sayign there were a few bugs in the rice., but when i looked there were hundreds and hundreds! she refuses to eat a yogurt that's a day past it's sell by date but will happily eat tons of bugs :huh:. i mean, i'm sure they won't hurt you if you eat them...but no thanks

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 05:42:19 pm »
Yeah it happens if a bag of ANYTHING with grain in it has any kind of opening that bugs can get into. I've had it happen in Florida and Korea. Either keep stuff in the fridge or as you say keep it in an airtight container, I had to do this in Korea and kept it in the pantry because my fridge was really small.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 05:56:48 pm »
grim. did you continue to eat the rice after it had loads of bugs in it though?

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 08:09:58 pm »
Let's all take a moment of silence for all those times we had bunshik kimbab or baekban white rice with our kalbi.  :P
incumbo studiis

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 09:14:56 pm »
Whet do vegans think about this?

[note: I really dont care]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:40:23 am by JNM »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 01:29:35 am »
The Amazon rainforest in Brazil is being RAZED to the ground to grow soybeans for American vegetarians.

That is a fact.

Apples, grapes and berries KILL the most insects.

Vegans need to either say **** bugs or else go full-on organic and Jainism.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 02:04:24 am »
The Amazon rainforest in Brazil is being RAZED to the ground to grow soybeans for American vegetarians.

The rainforest is being razed to make cattle ranches mostly.

And most soybeans grown are fed to livestock.

https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/bjwzk4/feeling-sad-about-the-amazon-fires-stop-eating-meat

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 02:44:09 am »
Bugs in polished white rice? I've seen it in brown, and black rice, but never the polished white rice.

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 07:14:40 am »
anyway, it completely grossed me out, and i said i'll throw all the infected stuff away and buy new stuff. however,
wtf?

This happened a few years back.  It's disgusting.  Like Mister Tim said, buy new and keep in plastic bottles and in the fridge too.  You'll have to go through other stuff in the cupboards too, like flour and other stuff like that because they get everywhere and if you don't fix it, they'll become xenomorphs  Then you'll have a scenario like Aliens and then you suggest to the wife that 'We take off, nuke the site from orbit it's the only way to be sure.'  Your choice. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 09:04:00 am »
the internet is saying putting a few bay leaves in your rice help to keep them away. no idea if it's true, but i'll try that also. i checked other dry stuff and it's only the rice, but i threw away anything that didn't have an air-tight seal anyway

actually talking to my dad in the uk, he says he gets them in his flour over there too.

ronnie: apparently my wife is happy to eat them, so i'm not sure that will work

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 09:22:37 am »
Bugs in polished white rice? I've seen it in brown, and black rice, but never the polished white rice.

I've only seen them in polished white rice.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 09:22:44 am »
ronnie: apparently my wife is happy to eat them, so i'm not sure that will work

This kind of reminds me of something years ago in my first middle school.  I had summer classes one year, and these involved playing golf as my school had a small golf range on the top of the school.  Cool.  But this year, there was a massive wasp's nest on one of the walls with some particularly angry looking wasps.  I mentioned it to the janitor guy before we played golf.  He went up there, smoked them out somehow, and then broke open the nest and took out the larvae and cooked them.  After finishing up my classes and getting ready to go home, I saw all of the teachers 'enjoying' eating the larvae in the teacher's room and asked if I wanted to join them.  And before anyone jumps on me with the 'hey, it's protein' or some such insect food classification, can fukc off.  I know it's a cultural thing here and people can do as they want without judgment, but I've been vegetarian for years and find this kind of thing horrible.  I thought nothing less of them for it.  Just made me shiver.  That's all.

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 09:35:23 am »
I use a combination of brown, black, and sticky white rice mixed with three other grains. I buy separate bags and pour them all into one giant, air-tight glass jar.

Whenever I buy ANY one of those items from a big supermarket, I end up with bugs in my rice after a couple of months and end up having to throw everything out. So I buy it all from my local organic mart -- not because I believe in organic, but because my local mart is small and very nitpicky about what it stocks and from where. Everything goes through an intensive inspection process, and it all gets stored in a way to keep pests from laying their eggs in the product. Plus, the food from there genuinely tastes better.

I think maybe I just have shitty luck when buying bagged grains from supermarkets, but I never, ever have this problem when I buy from my local coop.