Read 474 times

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
What's Your Work- Out Routine?
« on: January 03, 2020, 04:26:38 pm »
I admit, I'm not consistent.  I work-out/exercise in seasons.  I'll go for about 3-4 months, get sick or just feel totally unmotivated, go on a holiday and...every other excuse.  This can last a month or two, then...I get back at it.  It's not much but I certainly look better than many old peers back home.

I usually get in 4 or 5 days....each day can alternate between the treadmill and weights, with a day of a combined set. 

I try to do both interval running and  distance.  I like the challenge of both. 

Weights...I try to get 5 different exercises (I've been reading that lifting heavy is the way to go, combined with the cardio).
-flat bench
-dumbbell curls...different varitions
-barbell curls
-something for the triceps
-something fro shoulders and back...if the gym has one of those assisted pull-up machines, I'll work on that.

I'm going to start adding more core work ...planks and what not...possibly get some of the military workout regime going again. 

Though...it would be great to fine one..just ONE gym that played actual music, instead of that dopey Korean style techno.  One time, some gal had coffee house music playing...some whiny ballads..in a farking gym! 

Some Metallica, FFDP, ...just something other than Korean crap.  Oh well...headphones have their purpose. 

Anyway....what do you guys do?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:15:46 pm by NorthStar »

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
Re: What's Your Wor- Out Routine?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 12:21:45 am »
My routine varies greatly, depending on my biomechanical needs, injury/rehab and the time of the year. I aim for my 100m PRs between late spring and early autumn, so since it's winter right now my routine focuses around maximal strength, explosive strength, acceleration and endurance:

Gym

Upper Body and Back  - Incline Bench
                                         - Weighted Pullups and Chinups
                                         - BB push press (aiming for speed)

Core - Athlean X core routine (includes stability ball, DBells and things like hanging clocks)

Lower Body - LB Back Squats
                      - Conventional DL
                      - Power Cleans

Track Work (All performed between 90-100% intensity)

Acceleration - Sled sprints (15-30m)
                       - Block starts and drive phase work (10-30m)
                       - Hill sprints
                       - Stair bounds

Endurance and Speed Maintenance -  20m acceleration to 20m of mini hurdles to 30m (holding form and minimal rest between reps)
                                                                 - A-walk, Fast-leg, Stiff-leg bounds and other drills over about 60m with minimal rest
                                                                   between reps)
                                                                 - stair bounding (at jogging pace) around the stadium

Flexibility and injury prevention - A solid warmup routine which (when going to the track), takes between 20-30min.
                                                         - Stretching routines from Tom Merrick, they're brilliant,

I've said it before, I don't train without my iPod shuffle. My earphones are never out my ears, while I'm in the gym.
My routine probably isn't the best bodybuilder routine as it isn't focused around building massive muscles (I rarely do anything for my biceps), however, my routine does keep me looking pretty damn ripped, athletic, fast and satisfies my need regular need for adrenaline.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 02:38:24 am by Aristocrat »

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 09:24:06 am »
i think last time someone posted a question like this i was running 5/3/1 (which is a fun program), but i was getting bored of it after almost 4 cycles. i'm still primarily interested in getting stronger (squat, bench, deadlift) right now and so i've been running the 1x a week variations of greg nuckol's 28 free programs.

you can check it out here: https://liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/greg-nuckols-28-programs-spreadsheet/

if you're curious about what it's like, scroll down and open up the google doc, copy it, and then plug in your maxes. it'll give you a 1x, 2x, or 3x a week program for squat, bench, and deadlift. i made good progress with the 1x a week beginner programs (way more than i expected) last month, so i'll be sticking with that for a few more cycles. what's written is pretty bare bones (only those three exercises and nothing else for the beginner program), but i usually throw in a few accessories depending on how i'm feeling, how much time i have, and what's available to use at the gym.

anyway, i think it just comes down to what you like doing and what your goals are. i know some people just hate certain exercises. if that's you, i probably wouldn't include a lot of whatever it is that you hate in your program. find what you like (and what you'll stick to) and you'll be better off.

also i got samsung buds for christmas which have been great at the gym. no more arirang EDM remixes while deadlifting

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 10:56:06 am »
Christ all mighty...you guys take this stuff seriously.  I guess i need to do more...feel like I am just winging it.

I WANT to do squats and what not but....I am afraid something will pop in my knee.  I can run, yes.  But, something about the squats just gives the wrong kind of tingle on my that right knee....I'm worried, actually.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 06:52:33 pm »
Christ all mighty...you guys take this stuff seriously.  I guess i need to do more...feel like I am just winging it.

I WANT to do squats and what not but....I am afraid something will pop in my knee.  I can run, yes.  But, something about the squats just gives the wrong kind of tingle on my that right knee....I'm worried, actually.

The thing most people misunderstand about the squat is that its as much a powerful diagnostic tool as it is a strengthening exercise. Humans are born able to do the squat perfectly, its a primal movement pattern, we "learn" how to do it incorrectly by spending years sitting at desks, being sedentary etc. and making the muscles needed to do the squat weak and tight. Thus, the body has to move in alternative ways when asked to squat. These alternate movements use different muscles, which have limited range of motion and load bearing potential... and this is a very likely cause as to why you feel pain in places like the lower back and knees.

The simplest thing to do is to learn to squat perfectly and slowly build up the weight, this should strengthen the squat muscles (quads, glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors and core).
At the same time, you want to keep the above muscles flexible.
Allan Thrall has one of the best videos, IMO (a more condensed version of Mark Rippetoe's).
Just remember the cues and you can't go wrong. I like to stand sideways, from the mirror, to check where the bar is balanced over, as well as checking the front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmNPOjaGrVE&t=577s

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 07:03:41 pm »
Meh...the knee worry is from an previous military injury. 

I've used squats in my workouts before but when I started feeling that twinge...I backed off. 

I read somewhere, that...all one has to do, to get a" complete" work out is....squats, dips and dead-lifts. 

I'll watch the video and see what I can do...thanks for the tips. 

Today....4 miles on the treadmill.  I used to prefer it, then...I was in an area that had the perfect running path by a river-loved.  The location I am at now...nadda.  So, I gotta make due.  Actually, during that time,  I skipped the gym but kept the running going.  However, I really got into using those special push handles/bars....those actually work.  I worked my way up but...if one is doing 4 sets of 30, in the morning....results will follow. 

Again, thanks for the info.  I'll try it out and let you know what happens.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:15:13 pm by NorthStar »

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 08:06:02 pm »
My Wor-out regime?

Massive quantities of Craft Beer...

Roast Beef, Chicken, Lamb...

Occasional vegetables and fruit...

Fine Herbal supplements when in Canada...

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
Re: What's Your Work- Out Routine?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 08:16:15 pm »
My Wor-out regime?

Massive quantities of Craft Beer...

Roast Beef, Chicken, Lamb...

Occasional vegetables and fruit...

Fine Herbal supplements when in Canada...

"Wor-out"....I just noticed.