Read 5964 times

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
Re: Why is it so hard to get a public school job in Seoul?
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2020, 08:22:10 pm »
It’s too late, korea has already shot itself in the foot. Even before the coronavirus situation, schools and hagwons were already having a bit of a hard time filling their 2.1mil plus 10 day holiday vacancies. Now with the coronavirus in full swing, people aren’t just willing to not come to Asia, those in Asia are already getting TFO.

If there was a time for NETs to collectively start bargaining for better pay and conditions...THIS IS IT. The ball, the net, the referee, the scoreboards are all literally in your court. You may not be able to force public schools’ hands, but you can sure as hell tell your hagwons to go to hell if they’re not properly compensating you for sticking around in the middle of this crisis.

NETs should have their hagwon bosses by the balls for at least the next contract year if not longer. Will this actually happen...probably not.

What you are forgetting is that the hagwon industry is being hit very hard by the virus. Many will have trouble staying in business, especially if it drags on even longer. Negotiating a raise with the NETs is the least of their problem right now. I'm guessing the smaller places would just simply stop hiring foreigners to lower their losses.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2020, 09:05:12 pm »
The low wages for some jobs and for SMOE, I suspect has caused many experienced teachers to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Ih_nV79eE

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2020, 09:54:05 pm »
I wonder how much those women who stand around in the food section of Lotte dept store earn. Personally I find them a negative experience when shopping, so it can't be that much. 

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2020, 10:01:21 pm »
supply is going up due increased awareness among the down and out and to a lesser extent because of the worldwide popularity of Kpop

...shite attracts flies.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2020, 11:39:54 pm »
#1 on the kpop flo chart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OvyA2__Eas

Can you resist dancing along?

Is it possible?

I gave it a go....I got nauseous. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2020, 11:41:16 pm »
Sounds like Gold Bar (or Thursday Party). And that isn't good

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2020, 02:19:53 am »
What you are forgetting is that the hagwon industry is being hit very hard by the virus. Many will have trouble staying in business, especially if it drags on even longer. Negotiating a raise with the NETs is the least of their problem right now. I'm guessing the smaller places would just simply stop hiring foreigners to lower their losses.

For hagwons that donít make that much money and donít save, yeah theyíre being hit hard. For the hagwons that have spent the last few years banking...they can afford both the financial hit from the virus and paying their NETs up to a million more per month.

The other side of the coin is after this whole thing blows over and hagwons realise they can actually get away with a lot more than they originally realised, contract terms and conditions will get much worse much quicker than anyone can expect.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2020, 10:14:26 am »
For hagwons that donít make that much money and donít save, yeah theyíre being hit hard. For the hagwons that have spent the last few years banking...they can afford both the financial hit from the virus and paying their NETs up to a million more per month.

The other side of the coin is after this whole thing blows over and hagwons realise they can actually get away with a lot more than they originally realised, contract terms and conditions will get much worse much quicker than anyone can expect.

The teaches standing by, will realize they while working Saturdays to try and make up some lost time/classes, will not be receiving any overtime, nor will they be receiving their summer vacation.  I realize this will not apply to ALL  but most

That, right there. 

Personally, I don't have much sympathy for the hagwons.  Bosses are saying they are in a tight spot and employees should be understanding and not mean about it (yes, I have heard this). 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:55:56 am by NorthStar »

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2020, 11:52:02 am »

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2020, 12:31:28 pm »

If it goes away elsewhere and hakwons try it, they'll just lose more people to China, Vietnam, etc.  (Obviously, when the virus is gone.)  They want to be greedy, I guess that's their business.  But, don't complain about lack of teachers or lack of decent teachers.  At this point, it's only rich kids that can afford to come over here and teach.  Those where mom and dad paid their way through school and they have no debt.  If you got debt, a 2.1 million or less hakwon won't cut it in this day and age, along with a bad exchange rate. 

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 02:07:46 pm »

That, right there. 

Personally, I don't have much sympathy for the hagwons.  Bosses are saying they are in a tight spot and employees should be understanding and not mean about it (yes, I have heard this).
I think it depends on the hagwon. Some small hagwon and the owner is basically living a middle class life vs. some Mega Hagwon where the owner is making bank are completely different circumstances.

Unfortunately because of this things are going to get disrupted and people may end up having to do things like teach on Saturday. I mean, the entire world is basically going through a disaster and people are going to have to do things differently for a bit to get things back to normal. Everyone is going to have to adjust.