Read 2366 times

Re: Why is it so hard to get a public school job in Seoul?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 09:02:32 am »
My schools provided students with paper covers that were printed with ads and coupons, haha. I think this is how the schools got them for free to give to students. We all just flipped them over and drew our own doodles, or discarded them altogether for brown paper bags because somehow that was cooler. Some students got really fancy with them, too, had 3D origami going on combined with black marker to really make it all pop.

Those were the days.

Anyway, yeah, a lot of Seoul public schools have their pick of teachers, especially if they're flagship schools, and they care more about appearance than they do experience. For as long as they have fresh, young college grads with a particular look available, that's what they're going to go with. Better believe that qualifications and experience have nothing to do with that decision.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:24:09 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 09:22:57 pm »
 The OP's original question is very pertinent, and it touches on one of the weird contradictions of Korea. 20% of Koreans live in Seoul, with a population of 10 million people. Yet, it's rare for NETs to be placed there. On the other hand, it's far easier for western teachers to get a job in a tiny village in the bowels of forsaken Jeollanamdo, or next to the DMZ, where few people live. It seems an absurd contradiction. While SMOE used to hire lots of foreigners, Seoul was where president Lee Myungbak started cuttingg the nimbers of EPIK teachers first. His successor, JAILED President Park Geunhye, greatly increased cut backs. Yet she insisted on some increase in RURAL teachers, for rural students, which she believed, needed more help.

That situation hasn't fundamentally changed since 2017. What's clear is that after presidents Lee and Park had cut the numbers of EPIK teachers at SMOE, the numbers of public school foreign teachers in Seoul went down. It's not just that people are staying if they like their job. It's that there are fewer public school jobs in Seoul.

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 11:45:01 am »
Living in Korea isn't very pleasant to start with. But, living in Seoul would be hell. Give me the countryside. I live in a small countryside village in the tropics but am still a 15 minute drive from downtown.

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 01:08:49 pm »
in the tropics

You crack me up! I don't know why, but this is so funny to me.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 04:22:52 am »
  Because my friend and I were shocked to see a fresh off the plane noobie at our orientation land herself in central Seoul, while most of us have been here for years and have asked around and yet still get places way out in the wild west of nowhere with long commutes to Seoul.

They hire based on youth and looks, is the answer.

If you're in your twenties, blonde, female, white, north american and ok looking you can have any job you want in central Seoul. Gangnam, Jongno, wherever.

If you do not fit the above description then you will be moved outside of the capital. The less you match their very shallow requirements, the deeper into rural countryside you will be posted.
Catch my drift?

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 07:01:41 am »
Is that how LIC ended up in the arctic?
incumbo studiis