Read 2863 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Is This True or Just Paranoid LandLord?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 09:41:57 am »
I'm lucky. I haven't even plugged in my ondol this entire year. I have no actual contact with my apartment to the outside world, it's in the middle of the building. This way I can just absorb all my neighbour's walls, like a heat thief.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 09:44:05 am »
I'm lucky. I haven't even plugged in my ondol this entire year. I have no actual contact with my apartment to the outside world, it's in the middle of the building. This way I can just absorb all my neighbour's walls, like a heat thief.

No windows?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2020, 09:49:41 am »
I'm lucky. I have no windows. Who needs sunlight? I wish I could live underground like a hobbit. Are the mole people real? Fallout is my favorite game (up until you leave the underground vaults).

hmmmmmm idk man i'm thinking you should at least be taking a vitamin D supplement.

on a serious note though, i'm in busan (in a newish building) and i've never been told i need to use the heat. then again, if you're up north or in an older building it's probably different.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2020, 09:50:15 am »
No windows?
It's a small window (2ftx1ft HIGH up near the ceiling) that looks out on the other hallway. Imagine an X and O board where the lines are halls.

I'm the middle square.

hmmmmmm idk man i'm thinking you should at least be taking a vitamin D supplement.

My house is so small that I'm never there. haha, I am outside a lot.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2020, 10:55:59 am »
@OP: Your pipes can definitely freeze up at -5 degrees, just not instantly. You're gambling if you refuse to turn on your waechul. Frozen pipes can happen even when the temperature isn't at freezing levels. Wind chill, how the building is constructed, and where it's located also factor in. Your landlord is looking out for you, it's in both of your interests to run your waechul.

Yes but if your landlord tells you to leave your heating on 외출 and you don't, causing your pipes to freeze..it's your fault

Quoting this for emphasis.

Frozen pipes aren't just an inconvenience, they're an incredibly expensive repair, especially if they end up bursting. I've heard stories of repair bills starting in the millions of won because of this.

Better to pay an expensive gas bill than a really expensive repair bill.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 12:13:18 pm »
Okay just bored and thought I'd ask.  My boiler is acting funny.  I DO LEAVE IT ON.  I do but it on 외출 but sometimes I leave it on 신내.  But I noticed that even though I do these times the temperature doesn't climb to the 희망 point that I want it.  (Ex.  Room Temp will read 17 and I will put the 희망 {hope, intended } temperature to 23 but it rarely reaches that point.  At this morning I notice that the real room temp (현재 ) temp read 14 so I put the 희망 temp at 16.  Do you think my boiler is broken?  Or is there something I can do to fix it.  I don't really want to tell my landlord about it because I'm leaving in a little over 4 weeks and I DON'T want to be responsible for repairs.  I do get hot water though.  Usually a tall tale sign that your boiler is broken is if you don't get hot water or it comes in luke warm and goes away.  I had  problem at my first officetel and the landlord there said I had to foot the entire 630,000won bill when that boiler was malfunction.  My Korean friend did get on the phone and tell her that since it was her property that was breaking that she had to negotiate a deal with me to pay half.  She only paid 240,000won towards the bill and I have to give her the rest  >:( >:(

I really don't want to deal with that on my last month here.  So far I've been relying on my heated bed mat to keep me warm. 

Oh btw this is my exact boiler

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:29:03 pm by Piggydee »

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 12:47:23 pm »
Okay just bored and thought I'd ask.  My boiler is acting funny.  I DO LEAVE IT ON.  I do but it on 외출 but sometimes I leave it on 신내.  But I noticed that even though I do these times the temperature doesn't climb to the 희망 point that I want it.  (Ex.  Room Temp will read 17 and I will put the 희망 {hope, intended } temperature to 23 but it rarely reaches that point.  At this morning I notice that the real room temp (현재 ) temp read 14 so I put the 희망 temp at 16.  Do you think my boiler is broken?  Or is there something I can do to fix it.  I don't really want to tell my landlord about it because I'm leaving in a little over 4 weeks and I DON'T want to be responsible for repairs.  I do get hot water though.  Usually a tall tale sign that your boiler is broken is if you don't get hot water or it comes in luke warm and goes away.  I had  problem at my first officetel and the landlord there said I had to foot the entire 630,000won bill when that boiler was malfunction.  My Korean friend did get on the phone and tell her that since it was her property that was breaking that she had to negotiate a deal with me to pay half.  She only paid 240,000won towards the bill and I have to give her the rest  >:( >:(

I really don't want to deal with that on my last month here.  So far I've been relying on my heated bed mat to keep me warm. 

Sorry, I don't really know the answer to your question, but during the first winter at my current home in Korea (this was already several years ago), I noticed the ondol wasn't working although the hot water did work fine. After informing my landlord about it and he called a repairman to come look at it, it turned out that my boiler was not working properly, and so the repairman had to replace the boiler completely. However, my landlord paid for it and didn't charge me for it or make me pay for part of it -- any time there is something not working in my home, my landlord fixes/repairs it or has it replaced without charging me anything -- after all, since my landlord is the owner of my home, it is his responsibility to handle and pay for anything that needs to be fixed and/or replaced. It sounds like your first landlord wasn't a very good landlord if she made you pay for part of the cost to have your boiler fixed.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2020, 12:58:30 pm »
Sorry, I don't really know the answer to your question, but during the first winter at my current home in Korea (this was already several years ago), I noticed the ondol wasn't working although the hot water did work fine. After informing my landlord about it and he called a repairman to come look at it, it turned out that my boiler was not working properly, and so the repairman had to replace the boiler completely. However, my landlord paid for it and didn't charge me for it or make me pay for part of it -- any time there is something not working in my home, my landlord fixes/repairs it or has it replaced without charging me anything -- after all, since my landlord is the owner of my home, it is his responsibility to handle and pay for anything that needs to be fixed and/or replaced. It sounds like your first landlord wasn't a very good landlord if she made you pay for part of the cost to have your boiler fixed.

Yeah I agree.  However, there is signage all over my apartment that if the boiler drops below 10 degree and or it freezes then we are responsible for the cost of the system.  Meh....at this point it's not really that bad at my place but still IT COULD BE WARMER!

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 01:35:33 pm »
It sounds like your first landlord wasn't a very good landlord if she made you pay for part of the cost to have your boiler fixed.

Yeah, this. If it's not jeonse, then it's the landlord's responsibility. Tenants are only legally responsible for damages that they've caused, and basic wear and tear and/or manufacturer flaws do not fall under that. Piggydee probably could have taken her previous landlord to small claims court to recover that money later, but it's spilled milk at this point.

@ Piggy: Do you have a lot of key money tied up in this place? Have you had any issues with the current landlord over anything else? Is it an old or new building? Does your landlord own the building, or only just your apartment? Are most if not all of the other apartments in the building owned or leased by other tenants, or are there a lot of empty rooms?

My landlord has never given me any issues about covering the costs of repairs in my own apartment. It's one of the reasons why I haven't tried to move, even though I'm at a point where I'd like a bigger place now, and none of my friends have had issues with their landlords trying to pull BS with them, either, so I'd like to tell you to give it a shot.

But then again, you only have 4 weeks left, and there is a chance that your current landlord might try to pull a fast one on you and hold your key money hostage. So it might be best to suffer in silence... unless you suspect that the lack of heating might lead to damage that the landlord will later blame on you and, of course, attempt to recover the costs of from your key money anyway.

I actually have the same boiler that you do, and I've had to have it serviced 2 times over the course of my 4 years in the same apartment. Each time, the chip that helps the boiler to regulate the temperature had to be replaced. And the problems I had with it always started out with insufficient heating that eventually got to the point where it wouldn't heat at all.

You could also just keep your eye on the temp, and as long as it remains consistent, you probably don't have anything to worry about. The moment you notice that the average temp is dropping, though, you should report it to the landlord.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2020, 05:53:22 pm »
Yeah, this. If it's not jeonse, then it's the landlord's responsibility.

It doesn't matter whether it is jeonse or weolse, the landlord is responsible for fixing it or having it replaced. Unless the tenant deliberately damaged it somehow.

Piggydee's landlord was full of *hit. It was entirely on the landlord to cover the expenses. She just tried some "see if I can get some money from my foreigner tenant who won't know how things work in Korea" bs.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 06:38:03 pm »

The picture is not your actual thermostat, is it? Just because it shows 27 Degrees Celsius.

What happens when you switch it to 실내 and set a temperature that is higher than the current room temp? Obviously your boiler should turn on right away. Does your floor get warm after a while? Check your boiler. One metal pipe, coming from the bottom of it, should be warm. That is where the warm water goes down to your floor. Another one is cold at first, that's the water returning. Make sure all the valves are open. Do you have something like on my attached picture? You might have fewer plastic pipes. Touch the horizontal metal pipes. Again, one should be warm. Touch the pipes running down into the floor.
If the boiler is running but the pipes are not getting warm, somewhere something could be blocked so the water can't move. Or the pump in the boiler can be busted so it doesn't move the water. Hot water and the floor heating are two separate parts within the boiler. So even if you have hot water for shower, the heating part can be malfunctioning.
How old is your boiler? Generally, boilers here are meant for 10 years of use. Something goes wrong in an older piece, they will just replace it with a new one.
I would definitely let the landlord know. It's not okay to live in a 14 Celsius apartment. I think it only costs 20k for a repair guy to visit your place and have a look at the boiler. If it needs some parts or fixing, they would tell what needs to be done and how much it would cost. Then the landlord can decide how to proceed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:49:31 pm by Lazio »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 07:15:22 am »
The picture is not your actual thermostat, is it? Just because it shows 27 Degrees Celsius.

What happens when you switch it to 실내 and set a temperature that is higher than the current room temp? Obviously your boiler should turn on right away. Does your floor get warm after a while? Check your boiler. One metal pipe, coming from the bottom of it, should be warm. That is where the warm water goes down to your floor. Another one is cold at first, that's the water returning. Make sure all the valves are open. Do you have something like on my attached picture? You might have fewer plastic pipes. Touch the horizontal metal pipes. Again, one should be warm. Touch the pipes running down into the floor.
If the boiler is running but the pipes are not getting warm, somewhere something could be blocked so the water can't move. Or the pump in the boiler can be busted so it doesn't move the water. Hot water and the floor heating are two separate parts within the boiler. So even if you have hot water for shower, the heating part can be malfunctioning.
How old is your boiler? Generally, boilers here are meant for 10 years of use. Something goes wrong in an older piece, they will just replace it with a new one.
I would definitely let the landlord know. It's not okay to live in a 14 Celsius apartment. I think it only costs 20k for a repair guy to visit your place and have a look at the boiler. If it needs some parts or fixing, they would tell what needs to be done and how much it would cost. Then the landlord can decide how to proceed.

Yeah that picture is just an example of the system I do have.  I do have that exact system though.  If it doesn't cost that much then yeah I'll call a repair man to come check things out.  I was also told by one of my Korean friends that I could just be that because my area is so cold (I live way up North) that maybe a reason why my room is so cold. 

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 07:29:28 am »
Sorry Chinguetti never answered you.  It's was building was built in 2011.  I moved into 2014.  I've never seen my landlord and I've never had a run in with them.  (I say them because I don't even know what gender they are) According to my co-teacher it might be a woman.  There is key money of 900,000won that I first paid to my apartment when I moved it.  So far my room has been utilized by the English teachers that have worked at my school.  So I think I'm the 3rd foreigner to occupy this space.  I love my apartment.  It's VERY SPACIOUS.  Never had a mold problem.  All the light fixtures work and are EASY TO REPLACE.  and for ONCE it's not in a basement. 

As far as repairs, my washer machine was dancing at once point, the landlord did say that if the problem was user created that I would have to pay.  The maintenance man fixed it and the landlord never asked me for a penny.  The only "problem" I had was my inconsistent payment of the 과리비 (monthly service fee).  But I paid that and I'm current with that.  But it was never anything that involved a heat discussion.  So I could say that me and my landlord have a copacetic relationship.  I've never had a complaint lobed against me. 

(side note: further insult to the trauma I faced with that sh*tty hellwon I worked for, turns out they put me into the same apartment type of apartment that was featured in the Parasite movie.  A "banjiha."  Wow I feel like suing  :rolleyes:  )

Parasite: The real people living in Seoul's basement apartments
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51321661

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:37:50 am by Piggydee »

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• Gyeongi-do
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 08:39:10 am »
Yeah that picture is just an example of the system I do have.  I do have that exact system though.  If it doesn't cost that much then yeah I'll call a repair man to come check things out.  I was also told by one of my Korean friends that I could just be that because my area is so cold (I live way up North) that maybe a reason why my room is so cold. 

Did you check the things I wrote? Previous winters were much colder than this one. Was your place cold like now? If the floor gets warm but the room temperature doesn't really increase, then you can blame the lack of insulation and bad windows etc because the warmth just escapes. But if the floor doesn't even get warm, you have some problem with your boiler.

I would still notify the landlord first and have them call the A/S. Btw. it's best to call Kiturami, not just some random guy. They are trust worthy and can visit your place within 1-2 hours. The number should be written on your boiler but just in case: 1588-9000
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 02:29:48 pm by Lazio »

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 08:49:31 am »
they put me into the same apartment type of apartment that was featured in the Parasite movie.  A "banjiha." 
Seems like an interesting flick. Any idea where I can watch it with subtitles? Checked Netflix but it's eopsseoyo

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 11:12:03 am »
Seems like an interesting flick. Any idea where I can watch it with subtitles? Checked Netflix but it's eopsseoyo

http://cineinkorea.com/

It's playing this weekend!

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 02:35:22 pm »

One of my Korean co-worker friends told me yesterday that "Parasite" is playing at the CGV near 혜화 station this weekend.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2020, 02:50:02 pm »
One of my Korean co-worker friends told me yesterday that "Parasite" is playing at the CGV near 혜화 station this weekend.

But does it have subs?  I called Olleh TV to ask if they offer Korean movies with English subtitles and they said Nah.  I looked on google play and youtube and they offer no English subs as of now.  Ugh I'm thinking of torrenting it.  I would like to see it before I leave.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2020, 02:58:54 pm »

It's playing at Wangsimni on Monday with no subs.

It;s playing at Emu Cinema near Seodaemun WITH SUBS ................... ... just go to cineinkorea.com hahaha (Not you, I mean theman3285)

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2020, 03:15:07 pm »
It's playing at Wangsimni on Monday with no subs.

It;s playing at Emu Cinema near Seodaemun WITH SUBS ................... ... just go to cineinkorea.com hahaha (Not you, I mean theman3285)

dope website rec. thanks co2:)