Read 905 times

Cost of new wallpaper in a one-room?
« on: February 06, 2020, 02:36:57 pm »
Anyone pay to change the wallpaper in their apartments just because you hated the wallpaper that the landlord had installed?

I have a dinky little one-room, and I'd like to get a flat, solid-colored wallpaper to replace the one I have now. But is that even an option here? They really seem to like their patterns here, and I've been shocked by how much something that's even a little out of the norm could cost, even if the quality of the product is the same or even less.

I want a solid blue or green wallpaper, non-pastel and absolutely no flowers. How doable (aka expensive) would that be? I know that the price varies, but for people who had it done, how much did it cost you?

I've seriously thought about getting the place painted instead, but I honestly don't think I'd be able to get my landlord's approval for that. I might still ask about it, but I don't really know what I should be looking out for in paint here, so if you have recommendations for that, I'm open to it.

EDIT: I think I might have posted this in the wrong forum, lol. SORRY, PLEASE FIX 4 ME KTHX

Re: Cost of new wallpaper in a one-room?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 03:08:29 pm »
I paid 200,000 to get my small one room officetel done, but that was in Seoul, and it was also five years ago, so maybe that's not accurate anymore.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:06:14 pm »
Buy some paint, any latex paint will cover it. You may need 2 coats. When you leave your landlord is gonna slap new wallpaper over whatever was there anyway so who cares what he or she thinks.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 06:06:13 pm »
Locate some 인테리어 places in your neighborhood and get a few quotes. They will also show you different wallpapers you could pick from.
Generally, they don't really like to do small jobs so it will be proportionally more expensive. For example, they could do an entire 3bed+living room apartment for 1million or 1.2. But if you want to do the master bedroom only in the same apartment, they would charge you 4 or 500,000.
If the ceiling doesn't have any weird flower patterns and such, then you can get the walls done only to save some money. Because wallpapering a room, includes the walls and the ceiling.
Hard to give an estimate without knowing the exact size but I would say around 300k.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 10:02:12 pm »
Back in uni, I once went to a fabric store and bought three huge sheets of cloth to tack up on a hideous wall of an otherwise decent basement suite. It felt cozy. I loved the place afterwards.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 01:22:41 am »
Come on, this is such an easy thing to do yourself, just go to Homeplus and buy what you need. Takes 1 hour tops. 1 wall might even take less. Just buy some wallpaper, some dry or ready made wallpaper paste and one of those application brushes but you could even use an old cloth. Wear some old clothes and gloves because if you have to shower off large quantities of goo from your hands and hair, the drains might get clogged.
incumbo studiis

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 05:02:52 am »
Back in uni, I once went to a fabric store and bought three huge sheets of cloth to tack up on a hideous wall of an otherwise decent basement suite. It felt cozy. I loved the place afterwards.

I did the same thing, it was a quick fix and easy to remove when I left.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 07:51:36 am »
Come on, this is such an easy thing to do yourself, just go to Homeplus and buy what you need. Takes 1 hour tops. 1 wall might even take less. Just buy some wallpaper, some dry or ready made wallpaper paste and one of those application brushes but you could even use an old cloth. Wear some old clothes and gloves because if you have to shower off large quantities of goo from your hands and hair, the drains might get clogged.

Um. That's not actually true.

• Stefaneekaye
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2018, 11:14:30 am
    • Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 08:23:30 am »

Maybe if you have had experience with wallpaper, and properly lining/matching it up. As someone with a bit of that experience, I would still never say a one room would take only an hour, especially doing it just by oneself.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 09:31:21 am »
Maybe if you have had experience with wallpaper, and properly lining/matching it up. As someone with a bit of that experience, I would still never say a one room would take only an hour, especially doing it just by oneself.

Yeah. It takes professional wallpaper people with a team of two a lot more than one hour.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 11:29:09 am »
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll check out a few places, see what kind of wallpaper they have to choose from. If I can't find something I like and/or the price to install is over 350k won, then I'll just have to learn to live with my ugly wallpaper until I finally leave.

Nice idea on the fabric. I don't think I'd be able to find fabric that I would like that would be large and cost-effective enough for me, though.

• Stefaneekaye
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2018, 11:14:30 am
    • Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 01:02:54 pm »
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll check out a few places, see what kind of wallpaper they have to choose from. If I can't find something I like and/or the price to install is over 350k won, then I'll just have to learn to live with my ugly wallpaper until I finally leave.

Nice idea on the fabric. I don't think I'd be able to find fabric that I would like that would be large and cost-effective enough for me, though.
Dongdaemun Fabric market has a discount section where you can get a yard sometimes for less than a thousand won. And the selection is massive, many many options. ^^ It can be a tad overwhelming the first time you go though.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 01:11:20 pm »
I was watching a Korean youtuber who decorated her apartment using white, flowing floor to ceiling curtains across the whole wall....it looked nice.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:13:19 pm by nightninja »

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 01:12:00 pm »

Haha, almost pissed me faekin' pants reading this one.

The voice of inexperience.

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 01:18:04 pm »
I hadn't thought about having the wallpaper replaced. It would help cover all of the bloody mosquito splotches........

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 02:39:34 am »
Its not that hard to do one wall. Perhaps poorly, yes, but who cares it it's just one single colour so even if she puts it up slightly misaligned you would hardly notice.
incumbo studiis