Read 14517 times

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
Re: Minimum wage is too high! It will destroy the struggling ESL industry here
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2020, 01:55:23 pm »
that last comic was garrrrrrrrrbage. "new guy doesn't know the price of melons? haha" "new guy thinks we get A/C? bwahaha" "what're you a comedian?" this is shit tier comedy

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2020, 02:04:01 pm »
I don't understand why people are expecting Pulitzer level quality from a stripbits, throwaway comic that just throws cheap jabs at Korea.  The beauty is in its simplicity.  All it's doing is taking common annoyances about expat life and putting them into a comic strip.  Fruit and veg is expensive if you come from the UK, some schools are cheap when it comes to AC, construction quality of some buildings isn't amazing, love motels exist etc.

« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2020, 02:55:59 pm »
I don't understand why people are expecting Pulitzer level quality from a stripbits, throwaway comic that just throws cheap jabs at Korea.  The beauty is in its simplicity.  All it's doing is taking common annoyances about expat life and putting them into a comic strip.  Fruit and veg is expensive if you come from the UK, some schools are cheap when it comes to AC, construction quality of some buildings isn't amazing, love motels exist etc.
Well, in the cases where I've taken big exception I've always offered alternatives. The mask one I thought was okay. Nothing spectacular but hey, not every work is going to be a 10/10. The one after that, was really indifferent. I don't know, not really anything I didn't like, but it also had almost no redeeming qualities and just sort of meandered.

I've compared it to two other strips, ROKetship and Dear Korea, neither of which are amazing but both of which show a markedly superior level of quality over this.

that last comic was garrrrrrrrrbage. "new guy doesn't know the price of melons? haha" "new guy thinks we get A/C? bwahaha" "what're you a comedian?" this is shit tier comedy
Exactly. Is anyone really laughing at these? Or are people just agreeing? I mean, for a bunch of people arguing that people laughing while people at dinner is dumb, this isn't making you look any better in comparison.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2020, 03:31:19 pm »

Never is the protagonist shown to be wrong or the one with a misunderstanding.

The last strip appears to be all about his misunderstandings.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2020, 04:32:28 pm »

This is not accurate. I've had students who can pronounce finish AND Sandwich correctly.

Also, have you ever heard a Scottish person attempt Korean? Not everyone can pronouce every language correctly.

Please check your tongue privilege. 
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2020, 04:07:08 pm »
Strossel: The Inequality myth

This can join his already impressive list of hits:

"[The free] markets are magical and the best protectors of the consumer."
"There is no good data showing secondhand smoke kills people."
"I've built my career on unpaid interns, and the interns told me it was great!"
"[ I] disagree with scientific skeptics on the subject of global warming, and reject the notion that it will have net negative consequences."
  etc.

I admire his passion for chasing what he figures is the truth, but I feel that he's a bit... misguided on several different fronts.
But at least he isn't one of those quack conspiracy theorists....

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:08:47 pm by kyndo »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2020, 04:24:18 pm »
what is it with american boomers and terrible mustaches?

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2020, 04:40:30 pm »

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2020, 06:38:39 pm »
South Korea broke its own record for the world’s lowest fertility rate, adding to a list of challenges for a government already grappling with slowing economic growth and a spreading coronavirus outbreak.

The country's total fertility rate, which refers to the average number of children a woman bears in her lifetime, came to 0.92 last year, down from 0.98 a year earlier, according to the data from Statistics Korea.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200226006000320

The 2019 figure is far below the replacement level of 2.1 that would keep South Korea's population stable at 51 million. It is also a sharp drop from the 4.53 in 1970, when the government began to compile related data.

Oh great...they have another excuse.

« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2020, 10:38:10 am »
This is not accurate. I've had students who can pronounce finish AND Sandwich correctly.

Also, have you ever heard a Scottish person attempt Korean? Not everyone can pronouce every language correctly.

Please check your tongue privilege. 
Man these guys lack any self awareness whatsoever.

« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2020, 08:58:15 am »
is everyone a delivery scooter driver yet????

:police:
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2020, 09:12:27 am »
It's amazing how many people defend tax breaks for the very rich but criticize mimimum wage laws... ON ECONOMIC GROUNDS!

Remember: savings is bad for the economy, spending is good.

The absurd idea that the 5-10% saved by the very rich would be more likely re-invested in the economy over the increased wages of low income earners is repeated ad naueam, contrary to fact.

• L I
  • The Legend

Is anyone really laughing at these?

I'm laughing.

• L I
  • The Legend

Capitalism rewards exploitation. Those who know how to profit off the backs of others are the ones that make the most money. Literally stealing from the benefit of others labor and extracting that value from other people's hard work is the backbone of capitalism.

Capitalism is a good thing.

Pinker: Certainly capitalism deserves credit for the spectacular increase in prosperity that the world has enjoyed since the 18th century, including the global east and south in the past forty years. Prosperity, on average, tends to bring other good things in life: democracy, peace, education, women’s rights, safety, environmental protection, to name a few. Also, the spirit of commerce pushes nations toward peace. It’s bad business to kill your customers or your debtors, and when it’s cheaper to buy things than to steal them, nations are not tempted toward bloody conquest.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rainerzitelmann/2020/03/02/steven-pinker-evolution-has-saddled-our-species-with-many-irrational-and-destructive-psychological-traits

Zitelmann: In your book, you criticize the zero-sum belief that wealth is a limited resource and that the rich only get rich by taking from the poor. Why is this theory wrong and, above all, why do so many people still believe it?

Pinker: One reason is theoretical: prosperity primarily comes from ideas, methods, recipes, algorithms, and other forms of knowledge, which are replicable at marginal or zero cost: If I teach a man to fish, I have not forgotten how to fish myself. The other is empirical: since the Industrial Revolution in the early 19th century, when global prosperity began to soar, the rate of extreme poverty plunged from 90% of the world’s population to less than 9%. And of course one can see it with one’s own eyes. A relatively poor person in the West today (and increasingly elsewhere) enjoys antibiotics, streaming entertainment, air conditioning, a dozen ethnic cuisines, and other luxuries that were unavailable to the Vanderbilts and Rockefellers 120 years ago.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
my wife read a naver article about Tada taxi drivers. apparently, they make at least 5m a month, and some make up to 8.5m a month. wonder how true it was

• L I
  • The Legend

lol if everyone at Waygook ditches their ESL jobs and becomes a scooter delivery driver. Good luck...

Too bad we don't speak Korean well enough to be scooter delivery drivers or Tada taxi drivers. Guess we'll have to do factory work.

At busan
 furniture factory
 8:30~6:30pm Monday to Friday
 (Saturday & Sunday is free)
 2.7mil won
 house free
 food free when work
 4man and 4woman
 no experance ok
 simple job
 under 40age
 asian people ok
 urgently

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
It's amazing how many people defend tax breaks for the very rich but criticize mimimum wage laws... ON ECONOMIC GROUNDS!

Remember: savings is bad for the economy, spending is good.

The absurd idea that the 5-10% saved by the very rich would be more likely re-invested in the economy over the increased wages of low income earners is repeated ad naueam, contrary to fact.

The issue isn't the real rich.  If the top rate kicked in at 3 or 4 million dollars in income, and it was just a little bit higher by 2 or 3 points in income tax.  But when we consider 100 or 200 thousand rich which it certainty hasn't been for a long time.  True those folks do have nice toys but they emulate the real rich and are often in debt to their eyeballs and work their ass off with too long of hours.  The top rate should kick in at 3 or 4 million dollars in income a year to tax the real rich.  But the rate shouldn't be so high you incentivize them leaving or moving away.  A small amount will take a bit more without making them relocate.  The key is to get the right balance.  The old rate in the US was 39% on incomes over 400,000.  It was cut to 35%.  Well, let all of Trump's tax cuts remain in place up until 4 million a year and raise the top rate back to the old 39%.  Keep at this level if some loopholes are closed or lower all rates after this a bit more if many loopholes closed.  If loopholes wide open raise top rate to 40 or 41%.  Overall, I do believe less regulation and taxes do create economic growth.  But deficits seem to follow because folks can't stomach any reduction in spending.  Revenue does grow, but not enough to fully 100% cover the gap.  As for Canada, charging much higher on 100 K a year, well investment is leaving the country and provinces are taking their cut too.  Don't even get me started on that.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
this is a fact and what kept me here when I knew I should have left long ago,  Vacations home and seeing what the 27+ women that are single have to offer..  if youre not a surgeon, professional athlete,  famous in someway, millionaire..  lol you're fuked and will have to settle for a whale with baggage and she's still entitled in thinking she deserves a Chad.  If you get a cute asian hang onto her, there's nothing for us back home fellas, unless you're a Chad and have a great career.

Being funny and giving off the right vibe do actually count for something.  Some attractive nice women in the west do exist.  Some are crazy, but some hot sexy chicks are pretty cool and down to earth.