Read 13836 times

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: Minimum wage is too high! It will destroy the struggling ESL industry here
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2020, 06:50:46 am »
You know me, I usually rip LOTMC, but that one was pretty decent.

I don't get it, what's the joke? 

(You'll note I'm not passing judgement on the quality of the humour at this stage because I'm assuming my lack of understanding comes from cultural unfamiliarity)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:10:18 am by stoat »

« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2020, 08:08:54 am »
I don't get it, what's the joke? 

(You'll note I'm not passing judgement on the quality of the hunour at this stage because I'm assuming my lack of understanding comes from cultural unfamiliarity)
Were you not here for the honey butter craze? It started with people going absolutely nuts for honey butter chips (potato chips that had a powder of fake honey and fake butter). They would sell out insanely quickly. And they started making anything/everything with that powder.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2020, 08:09:38 am »
I guess it passed me by.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2020, 08:11:28 am »
Stannis is that you?
I made that mistake a while ago and got absolutely rinsed. Getting some payback ;)

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2020, 08:17:58 am »
Using 'less' with countable nouns is becoming pretty normal in spoken English these days and I can see it going the same way as 'there is' with plurals as in 'there's lots of people around'. 'Less people' and 'there's lots of people' are just easier to say than 'fewer people' and 'there are lots of people'.   

« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2020, 08:31:07 am »
You know me, I usually rip LOTMC, but that one was pretty decent.

So you're saying that all Koreans are gullible idiots?

Got it. 

The first frame is not real because he seems to be stood in a field and as we know grass-covered areas are rare in Korea.  Also, he should be stood in a very narrow street with mopeds driving down the pavements and cars parked into spaces that contortionists would have difficulty squeezing into.  There are also fliers for kimbap shops and love motels strewn on the road.  There could also be some guy pissing in a doorway.  The foreigners arrogant head is covering the ying/yang in the middle of the sacred Korean flag, showing obvious arrogance on his part and saying 'My love for Korea only stretches as far as how much money I can rinse out of this forsaken peninsula, I'm more important than this country.'  Also, the fact he so flashy is shown by him just leaving a pile of money on the grass.  Why not just flaunt it about dickhead?

The second frame is obviously racist as the guy selling the masks is much taller than his customers.   You can't allow this kind of racist symbolism to stand.  He also seems to be dressed as a medical officer, making his gullible customers think that he has some kind of medical qualification. Also, all the Koreans are wearing glasses, and the foreigner who is duping them into buying the masks is not wearing glasses.  Also, all of his customers have green money which is 'man won' or 10 000 won, showing that these Koreans obviously are not your typical working class Koreans.  If they were waving their blue money which is 'cheon won' or 1000 won that may be more apt.  Also, the foreign guy doesn't seem to have any visible means to give change as he has no pockets or a till.  Surely he should be paying tax on these honey butter abominations.  So not only is he scamming the tax laws and duping gullible idiots, he's doing it to make a quick buck before exiting the country as quick as possible. 

You know, just in fairness and all. 

Terrible.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2020, 08:32:25 am »
Using 'less' with countable nouns is becoming pretty normal in spoken English these days and I can see it going the same way as 'there is' with plurals as in 'there's lots of people around'. 'Less people' and 'there's lots of people' are just easier to say than 'fewer people' and 'there are lots of people'.   
Yeah I've noticed. Get rid of fewer altogether I say. Unnecessary

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2020, 08:34:30 am »

Got it. 

The first frame is not real because he seems to be stood in a field and as we know grass-covered areas are rare in Korea.  Also, he should be stood in a very narrow street with mopeds driving down the pavements and cars parked into spaces that contortionists would have difficulty squeezing into.  There are also fliers for kimbap shops and love motels strewn on the road.  There could also be some guy pissing in a doorway.  The foreigners arrogant head is covering the ying/yang in the middle of the sacred Korean flag, showing obvious arrogance on his part and saying 'My love for Korea only stretches as far as how much money I can rinse out of this forsaken peninsula, I'm more important than this country.'  Also, the fact he so flashy is shown by him just leaving a pile of money on the grass.  Why not just flaunt it about dickhead?

The second frame is obviously racist as the guy selling the masks is much taller than his customers.   You can't allow this kind of racist symbolism to stand.  He also seems to be dressed as a medical officer, making his gullible customers think that he has some kind of medical qualification. Also, all the Koreans are wearing glasses, and the foreigner who is duping them into buying the masks is not wearing glasses.  Also, all of his customers have green money which is 'man won' or 10 000 won, showing that these Koreans obviously are not your typical working class Koreans.  If they were waving their blue money which is 'cheon won' or 1000 won that may be more apt.  Also, the foreign guy doesn't seem to have any visible means to give change as he has no pockets or a till.  Surely he should be paying tax on these honey butter abominations.  So not only is he scamming the tax laws and duping gullible idiots, he's doing it to make a quick buck before exiting the country as quick as possible. 

You know, just in fairness and all. 

Terrible.

Good point about the glasses. The Asian equivalent of black face

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2020, 08:45:26 am »
Check out this Mike Leigh movie about delivery drivers. it might make you feel better about your situation,.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8359816/

Watched it last night.  Good film, that.  Big difference between delivering signed for packages and fast food but I get the sentiment.  It paints a very depressing picture of that kind of work.  The part at the beginning where he hires the guy is brilliant; such BS haha.  Thinking of that Facebook ad, I think it's very shady of Shuttle to be advertising that "guaranteed" monthly pay and also that the owner/investor is so nonchalant about the drivers breaking limbs and hips.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2020, 09:02:40 am »
Watched it last night.  Good film, that.  Big difference between delivering signed for packages and fast food but I get the sentiment.  It paints a very depressing picture of that kind of work.  The part at the beginning where he hires the guy is brilliant; such BS haha.  Thinking of that Facebook ad, I think it's very shady of Shuttle to be advertising that "guaranteed" monthly pay and also that the owner/investor is so nonchalant about the drivers breaking limbs and hips.

Yes, the big irony being that all the people involved in the making of that film were on temporary contracts without long term benefits or security.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2020, 09:05:26 am »
Ken Loach's "Sorry, We Missed You" is a great film about the "self employed app" economy.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2020, 10:40:23 am »
Ken Loach's "Sorry, We Missed You" is a great film about the "self employed app" economy.

That's what we're talking about above  ;D I think stoat just got his British film makers mixed up.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2020, 10:56:08 am »
That's what we're talking about above  ;D I think stoat just got his British film makers mixed up.

Yes, my mistake. Mike Leigh's better overall IMO.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2020, 11:09:47 am »
do we live in the same country? fruit is insanely expensive, alcohol is a rip off (the cheapest you can get is 4 cans of beer for 10k? expensive), veggies are overpriced too (and often not fresh).

...but yes, public transport is good
Buy your fruit and veggies fresh and at better prices in bulk at the 5-day markets, not Seoul supermarkets.

Alcohol prices for Koreans are kept down: they drink soju and maekju, not so much imported beer.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2020, 11:15:19 am »
Buy your fruit and veggies fresh and at better prices in bulk at the 5-day markets, not Seoul supermarkets.

Alcohol prices for Koreans are kept down: they drink soju and maekju, not so much imported beer.
i do. mate, 15k for a watermelon? 8k for five apples? you'd get a whole bag of apples in the uk for a quid. everything here is at least 2 to 4 times more expensive for groceries in general.

imported beer is cheaper than domestic beer anyway. soju is cheap, yes, but who the hell wants to drink that shite? i'll give you makgeolli though- cheap and good!

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2020, 11:45:23 am »

« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2020, 12:54:44 pm »
When was this written? 2010? Lotteria was UTTER TRASH then. Now between the Hot Crispy, and the AZ burger and the Classic Cheese, they are certainly competitive with McD's.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:02:07 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2020, 01:00:53 pm »
No, I think that's what you're saying.

I think the author was just pointing out a recent trend. Much like if he was in the South and there were a bunch of people selling face masks, he'd sell Mesquite BBQ flavor face masks. Or if in Portland, Quinoa-Kale infused face masks. Korea had a big honey butter craze. He poked fun at that. Credit where credit is due. It's not a 5/5, but it's a solid strip, competently constructed. You'll notice it doesn't rely on the typical set up of "One person idealized, the other person an idiotic caricature of a stand in" and doesn't end with the 4th Wall breaking Yakov Smirnoff "What a crazy country" desperate plea for you to laugh.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2020, 01:26:22 pm »
Hey man, I do give credit when credit is due. When it's a good one, I'll say so. When it's bad, I'll say so. That last one had some "ehh" moments but it was one of the more indifferent outings.

Anyways, you know what is a common thread in all of their offerings? Zero personal growth. Never is the protagonist shown to be wrong or the one with a misunderstanding. Never does he have his comeuppance. He may get victimized at the end, but he is never defeated by his own failures of character. Never are the tables turned where he's the one acting a fool and the locals are actually in the right. Nothing where he learns or gains insight. Nothing where his assumptions are challenged. Never is there consideration of anyone's perspective but his. Zero attempt at understanding why things are the way they are or why he believes his way is right. Nothing is really challenged. There's an undercurrent of meanness and bitterness throughout. Even his wife is used as the butt of jokes and not really taken seriously as a person.

I think the work they put out reveals a bit about their character and the mindset they go through life with. I guess that sort of thing appeals to people with a similar mentality.