Read 8377 times

Re: Minimum wage is too high! It will destroy the struggling ESL industry here
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2020, 05:29:52 pm »
Apologize for the War of Jenkin's Ear, you knave!
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2020, 11:12:53 pm »
Is that why Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton have hundreds of millions of dollars and teachers are scraping by in the states? Stop with your nonsense. Capitalism rewards exploitation. Those who know how to profit off the backs of others are the ones that make the most money. Literally stealing from the benefit of others labor and extracting that value from other people's hard work is the backbone of capitalism.

Teachers in the USA are well paid, generally speaking. Including benefits, which is money paid into their retirement account, etc., they average over $100k per year. While working only 180 days per year. That's more days not working than working.

Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton didn't "steal" money. Consumers willingly gave it to them for their perfume lines , DJ performances, television appearances, etc.
Average salary is $60,000.  (Yes, I'm aware that you're adding benefits to put your thumb on the scale.)  But teachers may or may not get benefits such as a pension and they certainly can't use them to feed their kids or send them to college. And the average is skewed by including principals, etc.

They are not well paid considering their level of education and the amount of hours they work.  Once  hours are factored in, they actually work more than 250 days a year. The money they must spend on supplies etc. and can no longer deduct should also be factored in.

And thanks to the consumer model that education in the US is now being modeled on, teachers are slowly but surely being ground down.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #202 on: February 06, 2020, 09:24:00 am »
This thread was teetering on the verge of becoming yet another US politics troll-fest, so I deleted a bunch of comments.
If you feel that yours didn't deserve getting dumped in the e-rubbish bin, then my deepest, most sincere apologies.
"Can't delete an omelette without erasing some eggs." or whatever that expression is.  :smiley:

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
Back to the original point...wages in korea suck and it looks like they are set to worsen in the coming years.
____________________________________________________________________________________
<Conditions are as follows>
1. Position Title : Assistant Professor (Native English professor)
2. Qualifications : Master's degree holders in any field who have  F visa and more than two-year teaching experience at a college level.
3. Employment Location : Suwon Science College, Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province, Republic of Korea
4. Housing and Food : NOT provided(No Key money)
5. The Salary : 2.5 million won per month (The yearly salary is 30 million won)

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ________

Need a master's degree and an F visa and more than two year's teaching experience at the college level in order to be considered.

Then compete with many others to try to get the job.

For 2.5 million a month with no housing.

Adjusted for inflation, salaries are going down every year.

That above job post is quite shocking honestly.  The salary should be 3 million if housing isn't provided.

Did anyone else see this on a popular expat Facebook group.  The guy started/is invested in the food delivery company Shuttle (he might even post on this site) and he said this...

I've had about 20 Uzbek international students work for shuttle over the last few years...Several times me they make a very good monthly rate if they are fast. 4-5 million won/month or more.

This really puts teachers' wages into perspective doesn't it?  4-5 million  :shocked:

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
That above job post is quite shocking honestly.  The salary should be 3 million if housing isn't provided.

Did anyone else see this on a popular expat Facebook group.  The guy started/is invested in the food delivery company Shuttle (he might even post on this site) and he said this...

This really puts teachers' wages into perspective doesn't it?  4-5 million  :shocked:

Check out this Mike Leigh movie about delivery drivers. it might make you feel better about your situation,.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8359816/

That's gotta be nonsense. Shuttle charges, what, 4k a delivery? I mean, I guess at a peak time you could make maybe 40k an hour if you really got lucky and just had orders bang bang bang one after another all lined up. And sure, if you extrapolated that over 12 hours a day, 6 days a week or something.

This sounds more like bluster to pump up the amount of business being done.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
That's gotta be nonsense. Shuttle charges, what, 4k a delivery? I mean, I guess at a peak time you could make maybe 40k an hour if you really got lucky and just had orders bang bang bang one after another all lined up. And sure, if you extrapolated that over 12 hours a day, 6 days a week or something.

This sounds more like bluster to pump up the amount of business being done.

No, no, all you have to do is dedicate every waking hour to flying around on a scooter at 75km/h and you can be rich!

No, no, all you have to do is dedicate every waking hour to flying around on a scooter at 75km/h and you can be rich!
Heck, if I really could make that kind of money delivering without having zero protection from oncoming cars, I'd consider it. It's more likely 3-4 deliveries per hour and the company probably gets 25% of the delivery fee.

Yeah I actually left out the rest of the guy's quote which is quite scary.  Here it is...

However, I have seen at least 6 students with broken arms, legs, hips etc because of motorbike accidents.

:huh: :huh:

Here's the ad I saw on Facebook. 

Full time drivers are guaranteed 3.6 million per month

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
They probably have to pay for scooter rental, helmet/uniform and petrol out of that.

lol if everyone at Waygook ditches their ESL jobs and becomes a scooter delivery driver. Good luck...
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
Less people going out due to fears of the corona virus = more delivery food ordered = big bucks for us

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
How about becoming a mask seller?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Less people going out due to fears of the corona virus = more delivery food ordered = big bucks for us
Fewer

You know me, I usually rip LOTMC, but that one was pretty decent.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
The only negative of a high minimum wage is price inflation.

SK is a country committed committed to keeping prices manageable for the masses in terms of fresh fruit, veggies, rice, public transportation and alcohol.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
The only negative of a high minimum wage is price inflation.

SK is a country committed committed to keeping prices manageable for the masses in terms of fresh fruit, veggies, rice, public transportation and alcohol.
do we live in the same country? fruit is insanely expensive, alcohol is a rip off (the cheapest you can get is 4 cans of beer for 10k? expensive), veggies are overpriced too (and often not fresh).

...but yes, public transport is good