Read 8578 times

• GregoryTeacher
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2016, 02:49:37 pm
    • Haenam City, South Korea
    more
Re: Wow, my students have gotten really FAT!
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2021, 12:21:19 pm »
imagine feeling entitled to talk this long about other people's bodies. get a life and mind your own business. you're unhealthy in your own ways.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2021, 04:06:05 am »
I'm stuck in an empty school trying to keep vacation days for a vacation abroad that gets more unlikely as each day passes.

I too am wondering how likely a summer (or even winter) vacation abroad will be.
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ________

- A shortage of COVID-19 vaccines has forced South Korea to halt new vaccinations for about a month.

- 0.5 percent of the Korean population have completed their vaccination course.

- More than 2,200 vaccination clinics across the country have been told to cancel inoculation appointments.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2021, 03:00:25 pm »
By ganging up against you, you mean that everyone else has a different opinion than you and trying to make a point from several different angles but you just stubbornly hold your ground and keep repeating the same stuff?
Just look at what happened on this thread. You made dozens of posts about how Koreans need larger sized clothes. You invest way too much effort into it. If you can't easily buy clothes, just buy or order them from abroad. There are also options to locally source them. It is simple as that. But you don't accept this and demand the entire clothing retail industry to hear your voice and follow what you think is right. You get completely bent out of shape and just don't listen to any valid reasoning from others. After a while, you are just making yourself more and more ridiculous with being stubborn. And that is where the fun poking originates from.
Had you just made one or two posts, to state your opinion on the matter and leave it at that, it all wouldn't have happened. Just learn to let go.

No, it's the same 5 trolls who get triggered at anything that takes them out of their comfort zones and decide to attack attack attack.  While I do a good job sticking up for myself, the mods keep sanctioning me for defending myself.  But I have repeatedly said Koreans are bigger nowadays and the reasons for keeping the same clothing make no sense.  Bodies have changed, but it seems they keep doing things just because it's the way they have always done it.  Bodies have changed here a lot no matter how much you seem to think it hasn't.  I am not sure why some of you still think Koreans are short and skinny the same as 20 plus years ago.  But since some of you argue argue argue, I will assume you are going to keep repeating this over and over and over.  So, have at it, hosses. 

« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2021, 05:06:19 pm »
No, it's the same 5 trolls who get triggered at anything that takes them out of their comfort zones and decide to attack attack attack.  While I do a good job sticking up for myself, the mods keep sanctioning me for defending myself.  But I have repeatedly said Koreans are bigger nowadays and the reasons for keeping the same clothing make no sense.  Bodies have changed, but it seems they keep doing things just because it's the way they have always done it.  Bodies have changed here a lot no matter how much you seem to think it hasn't.  I am not sure why some of you still think Koreans are short and skinny the same as 20 plus years ago. 
No one is thinking that. Our points are
1) That even with increased weight gain, East Asians with their disproportionately longer torsos are going to use different sizes
2) That the increase in bigger Koreans is not of sufficient number to merit a wholescale reworking of sizes and that you're likely suffering from confirmation bias when it comes to how widespread you think this phenomenon is.
3) That Koreans being bigger simply means that more people will buy 100 instead of 95 and 105 instead of 100 and 110 instead of 105. More demand for larger-sized clothes does not mean that the sizing is wrong
4) South Korea still has a significant number of skinny people and people with frames and builds that are very very slender
5) That your issue with this seems to derive from personal inconvenience that may very well be be due to ignorance- Case in point your needing help to understand slim vs. regular fit in buying clothes off the rack and that somehow a clerk speaking English "made things better." (How, I have no idea)
6) Your belief that there no garment/apparel company in Korea is employing big data and looking at sizing trends and what people are purchasing and so on. That it MUST be some stubborn refusal to change. Couldn't possibly be that you're wrong about this.
7) "Koreans ARE getting bigger" doesn't really address the points we make, nor is it something that supports you. If your point was that Korean apparel companies should increase production and supply of larger sized garments, then that would be accurate, but that's not what you're arguing. You're saying the sizes are wrong.

"Koreans ARE getting bigger" is an observation and the beginning of inquiry. You're treating it as the final factor to an answer you've pre-determined. Whenever someone brings up a point that suggests that your answer and conclusions are flawed, you just repeat "Koreans ARE getting bigger", which again is an OBSERVATION, and the beginning, not the end of inquiry.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2021, 12:52:18 am »
MOD NOTE: All posts that wholly are intended to assassinate a poster should be deleted.

Please reference the Terms of Service.

ADVANCE the discussion. Criticize ideas rather than presenters of ideas. Feel free to ignore someone.

This is to be a safe place for the exchange of ideas not a battleground for character assassination.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:54:26 am by VanIslander »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2021, 07:42:30 am »
MOD NOTE: All posts that wholly are intended to assassinate a poster should be deleted.

Please reference the Terms of Service.

ADVANCE the discussion. Criticize ideas rather than presenters of ideas. Feel free to ignore someone.

This is to be a safe place for the exchange of ideas not a battleground for character assassination.

So, at your arbitrary discretion, then?  IS that what the TOS states?  A mod can just leave some character assassinations up while deleting cogent and rational defenses?  I see a post left up by Hangook attacking others as trolls and "hosses" while my response was deleted.  Please explain the rationale behind that.  I strongly suspect your abuse of powers was motivated by the fact I've called you out on your hypocrisy a number of times.  An effective mod needs to be unbiased.  If you can't be, step down. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2021, 08:22:30 am »
ADVANCE the discussion. Criticize ideas rather than presenters of ideas.

Yes. Saying people’s names is much less edifying than the discussion of ideas.

When I go to read other forums, I find mention of and discussion of forum members by name really annoying. Something that has no relevance to our lives and is not educational.

Discuss ideas, not screen names.

Think of people ten years from now searching topics for information. You think they want to read petty discussions about screen names?

The only time a name should be mentioned is if it is a universally famous person of public interest, and even that should be kept to a minimum.

Really wish our screen names were smaller font or not even there. Then the discussions would be about actual ideas.

Before typing something think to yourself, is this universally relevant to others.

Traffic on the forums is down in the last year (even as coronavirus is making people spend more time online). Why? Because of many poor quality posts. People have said they left for that reason.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2021, 08:25:52 am »
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2021, 09:45:41 am »
Yes. Saying people’s names is much less edifying than the discussion of ideas.

When I go to read other forums, I find mention of and discussion of forum members by name really annoying. Something that has no relevance to our lives and is not educational.

Discuss ideas, not screen names.

Think of people ten years from now searching topics for information. You think they want to read petty discussions about screen names?

The only time a name should be mentioned is if it is a universally famous person of public interest, and even that should be kept to a minimum.

Really wish our screen names were smaller font or not even there. Then the discussions would be about actual ideas.

Before typing something think to yourself, is this universally relevant to others.

Traffic on the forums is down in the last year (even as coronavirus is making people spend more time online). Why? Because of many poor quality posts. People have said they left for that reason.

Before typing, think am I on waygook.org because I'm just killing some time during the workday or, am I on a site that will even exist in ten years, let alone have people searching decade old posts?

It's important to keep perspective.  Look at the threads.  How many serious topics are on here on average?  I think we can agree this is not a place that is taken too seriously by most posters.  I don't take it seriously and am not about to start.  Just having some fun. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:04:53 pm by OnNut81 »

« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2021, 12:14:09 pm »
Before typing, think am I on waygook.org because I'm just killing some time during the workday or, am I on a site that will even exist in ten years, let alone have people searching decade old posts?

It's important to keep perspective.  Look at the threads.  How many serious topics are on here on average?  I think we can agree this is not a place that is taken too seriously by most posters.  I don't take it seriously and am not about to start.  Just having some fun. 

Indeed, this a place to vent, kill time, argue, discuss and generally keep our writing skills from getting too rusty.
This definitely isn't a license to act like a jerk, but chill out, it's only waygook.org.