Read 13913 times

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Another increase in the minimum wage is coming which means everything else is going up!!!

Food in Korea is already expensive and with higher minimum wages the price will increase.

Currently the ESL industry is dying and with hagwons offering salaries like 1.9 million a month how can a teacher survive.

I looked at one of my old schools and the wage they offer is less than what I got in 2013.

It’s amazing that ESL jobs are even being filled when you can work without a degree in the USA or Canada and earn more than in Korea .

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Minimum wage in the UK is soon going up to 8.72 an hour which works out at around 2.1 mil a month for a 40 hour week. However you don't get accommodation thrown in so Korea is still not a bad deal for newly qualified unemployable arts graduates from the UK

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Alberta for example has a $15 minimum which works out to about 2.35million won a month for a 40 hour week.

Thatís the bare minimum not including overtime or holiday work.

In northern Alberta no one will work for under $18 dollars and rent is cheap as the economy failed. You can literally rent a hotel room for 400-500 a month which includes all utilities.

Korean ESL schools have to increase their wages honestly, I know itís an adventure to travel and explore the world but when it comes down to career advancement and your future Korea has a lot of work to do.

Honestly if Korean schools provided a competitive market I would probably live in Korea till I retire. But with a family you canít survive maybe a single new graduate can but without an equalization of wages it will continue to be harder.

The F6 visa is always thrown around as a solution but it doesnít work for everyone as not everyone comes to Korea to get married.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
... Honestly if Korean schools provided a competitive market I would probably live in Korea till I retire. But with a family you canít survive maybe a single new graduate can ...
Indeed.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
All thatís going to happen is hagwons and schools will simply carry on with status quo. Theyíve had it this good with low wages for over a decade, and now there is a virtually unlimited supply of weaboos and/or weak willed individuals willing to slave away for 10hr days for 2.1-2.3 before tax.

Itís not just ESL jobs that offer accommodation anymore as well...these days more and more Korean companies are offering free accommodation or allowances to their staff, who certainly earn more than ESL teachers. So we canít even class free accommodation as an attractive benefit anymore if locals get it and we still earn less than them.

As has been demonstrated on this site by others, ESL now broadly pays the same as, and in some cases lower than manual labour jobs in factories, farms, construction sites etc. Yeah, you get to sit at a desk for hours but that factory worker stuffing chicken into boxes takes home the same pay as you or more...without that expensive degree you had to pay for as a requirement to get here.

For those who can, itís better to start voting with your feet. Thatís the only way the ESL industry here will change, if it even wants to in the first place.

If you're a fresh or recent college grad and you come to Korea for the money, you're an idiot.  My advice to all newbies, it's to do a year and gtfo. Enjoy and travel but don't waste you time trying to get a career in ESL unless you want to be part of the lower class on par with delivery drivers or emart clerks. This industry is all but dead and there is zero respect for hagwon jokeys or the so called ''prestigious' public school jobs.. 

They know you make diddlysquat and think you're pathetic, trust me.  If you're 30+ still doing it they just see you as failure in the life.   There is still time to turn your life around even with your degree in poetry.  It's a sunk cost, just go back and get a real skill such as a trade.  You can be a journeymen in 3-4 years making 70K in most trades.  do it bro.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
just go back and get a real skill such as a trade

That is what I am going to do, I think.  However, I fear I will miss the classroom, the kids, the energy....

Perhaps one more year in ESL...but, in China.  I've been anti-teaching-China for some time but...$2500 a month with a lower cost of living for a year, seems not too shabby. 

This place (Korea)....especially my current position...I just feel like it was all for nothing. 

just go back and get a real skill such as a trade

That is what I am going to do, I think.  However, I fear I will miss the classroom, the kids, the energy....

Perhaps one more year in ESL...but, in China.  I've been anti-teaching-China for some time but...$2500 a month with a lower cost of living for a year, seems not too shabby. 

This place (Korea)....especially my current position...I just feel like it was all for nothing. 

Don't.  Stop delaying the inevitable.  You will go to China and think you'll stay for 1 year.. then it becomes 4...  Why live in a communist shithole for 2500/month.  It's intimidating to go back to your home country and start fresh as a 25+ yr old with no experience.  Shit I know people that are 35+ that need to make the move but the longer you procrastinate, the more uphill of a battle it will become.  People are re-training and changing careers all the time even at 40 - 45.   Korea is cool for 1 year or 2 maximum.  Those of us staying longer, unless married and with a fool proof plan, are digging a hole deeper and deeper for a pittance and a moldy shoebox apartment.  This place is polluted and not all that charming anymore.  I'm out of here real soon and feeling a new lease on life.

Also do this experiment.  Make a tinder/bumble profile with your job as ESL teacher swipe every decent looking woman and see how many matches you get.  Now make the exact same profile but only change your job.  Not even some great job like doctor or engineer..  just some shit like accountant or whatever...  The ESL you will get hardly any matches bc women avoid people like that like the plague.  Any other job you'll get 3-5x the matches.  same face, same intro, hobbies..  but the job is everything.  point is esl is seen lower than street sweepers and you'll only get the bottom of the barrel of women here.  is that a life you want live fellas? gtfo now
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:16:44 am by PatrickBateman »

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Inflation in SK is historically low--.04%. Not everything is going up.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Stop posting misinformation, gogators. Your decimal point is in the wrong place.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
Re: Minimum wage is too high! It will destroy the struggling ESL industry here
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 12:03:16 pm »
Ha ha, this thread is like Fox News! Happy NY ppl.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 12:19:05 pm »
Don't.  Stop delaying the inevitable.  You will go to China and think you'll stay for 1 year.. then it becomes 4...  Why live in a communist shithole for 2500/month.  It's intimidating to go back to your home country and start fresh as a 25+ yr old with no experience.  Shit I know people that are 35+ that need to make the move but the longer you procrastinate, the more uphill of a battle it will become.  People are re-training and changing careers all the time even at 40 - 45.   Korea is cool for 1 year or 2 maximum.  Those of us staying longer, unless married and with a fool proof plan, are digging a hole deeper and deeper for a pittance and a moldy shoebox apartment.  This place is polluted and not all that charming anymore.  I'm out of here real soon and feeling a new lease on life.

Also do this experiment.  Make a tinder/bumble profile with your job as ESL teacher swipe every decent looking woman and see how many matches you get.  Now make the exact same profile but only change your job.  Not even some great job like doctor or engineer..  just some shit like accountant or whatever... The ESL you will get hardly any matches bc women avoid people like that like the plague.  Any other job you'll get 3-5x the matches.  same face, same intro, hobbies..  but the job is everything.  point is esl is seen lower than street sweepers and you'll only get the bottom of the barrel of women here.  is that a life you want live fellas? gtfo now

Sad...but true, I guess.  Though, it really goes to show what modern women really want and value. 

Yeah...I think it is time.  I hoestly don't think I can stomach the remainder of my contract.  Phuck...I can't even turn the heat on, when I want...which allows a small window of time, anyway. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 12:21:52 pm »
“The inflation rate in South Korea between 2010 and 2019 was 16.89%, which translates into a total increase of W354,771.53.

This means that 2,100,000 won in 2010 are equivalent to 2,454,771.53 won in 2019.

In other words, the purchasing power of W2,100,000 in 2010 equals W2,454,771.53 in 2019. The average annual inflation rate between these periods was 1.75%”

Adjusted for inflation, the average ESL starting salary in 2019 should be 2.4mil...korea has gotten 16.89% more expensive during that period, and the price of some things have increased way beyond that.

I don’t think hagwon owners today are charging customers 2010 prices...why should you continue to accept a wage that is below what people were earning (AFI) 10 years ago?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 12:23:42 pm by waygo0k »

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 12:30:23 pm »
LOL so now Waygook has gone from "u can make 3 to 5m a month ez with a BA in basket weaving" straight to "the market is fucked and you'll be lucky to make 1.9m."

I guarantee if anyone teaching English in Korea goes home you'll end up making less than 2.1m a month after paying rent, but at least the food will be good and the air will be clean and everything will be in English. Eventually you'll make more but only after several years of hard work and some expensive and time-consuming retraining. The job market in the West has gotten a lot more cut-throat than it was like 5-7 years ago, even with the booming economy.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 12:48:21 pm »
Haha good old Mayor coming in with some disinformation.

I have always stated you can make 3-5 million per month in korea on an E-2 IF you’re willing to hustle for it...maybe in your world ‘hustling’ equates to ‘ez’  :undecided: :undecided:

Even after I proved to you with pictorial evidence that it indeed is possible to get employer permission and register a second and even third job with immigration on an E-2, along with other credible forum members confirming from their own personal first hand experiences that yes you indeed can make 3-5 mil on an E-2...which you claimed to be impossible...you continued to misconstrue what everyone was saying and proving to you left and right.

And now we are here today, with you STILL continuing to refuse to accept a basic fact that has been proven to you over and over.

Get 2 jobs and pull in 3-5 mil...it’s certainly a possibility and people are doing it on an E-2 visa right now. But do that for 2 years plus and it’ll wear you out.

Why do all that when you can basically earn the same in China teaching 20-25hrs per week?

Over to you Mr. Miscontrusion...let’s see how you will fail to understand this one.

PS: in case anyone was wondering what Mayor was erroneously referring to, here it is - https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=118472.160
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 12:58:30 pm by waygo0k »

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 02:56:34 pm »
No, the usual suspects were lying about how anyone can get an average normal hagwon job making 3m a month or more. When pushed back about this they started admitting that actually you can make more money if you work more hours. No duh! But most e2's don't want to work more than 40 hours, and hagwon job schedules won't let you go work somewhere else easily even if you had permission to have a second employer, unless you wanted to work like 60 hours a week or more.

Pretty sure some of these usual suspects are now moaning about pay plummetting.

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 03:28:41 pm »
No, the usual suspects were lying about how anyone can get an average normal hagwon job making 3m a month or more. When pushed back about this they started admitting that actually you can make more money if you work more hours. No duh! But most e2's don't want to work more than 40 hours, and hagwon job schedules won't let you go work somewhere else easily even if you had permission to have a second employer, unless you wanted to work like 60 hours a week or more.

Pretty sure some of these usual suspects are now moaning about pay plummetting.

..gonna have to agree with this.  Many, if not most, E2 visa holders are stuck in a schedule, in which makes taking on a second job (a desirable one, anyway) highly inconvenient, or impossible...not to mention crap bag directors usually NOT wanting to grant permission to even do so. 

If one wants to bypass the permission route, then,....it is not worth the risk of being deported. 

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 03:46:04 pm »
Fast fact:

ESL salaries have not gone up in about 20 years.  Literally. 

But who cares.

Korean women are still 1000 times better than the land-whales back in the English speaking world...  and to me that's worth 10 million a month right there...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:48:45 pm by guppy1000 »

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 03:52:43 pm »
Fast fact:

ESL salaries have not gone up in about 20 years.  Literally. 

But who cares.

Korean women are still 1000 times better than than land-whales back in the English speaking world...  and to me that's worth 10 million a month right there...

this is a fact and what kept me here when I knew I should have left long ago,  Vacations home and seeing what the 27+ women that are single have to offer..  if youre not a surgeon, professional athlete,  famous in someway, millionaire..  lol you're fuked and will have to settle for a whale with baggage and she's still entitled in thinking she deserves a Chad.  If you get a cute asian hang onto her, there's nothing for us back home fellas, unless you're a Chad and have a great career.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 04:04:02 pm »
Thatís not what you came on here to say though Mayor...you didnít start on here with ďthe usual suspectsĒ, you literally came here and made an erroneous claim about things I supposedly said in the past, which I have replied with receipts clarifying exactly what I said with proof verifying it.

Now Iím going to have to repeat all the things I thought had already been clarified and dusted months ago.

If youíre an E-2 working at a 9am-7pm hellwon M-F for 2.1-2.3, yeah, your schedule wouldnít allow you to get a part time job. You could technically still do it but youíd probably burn out in less than a year. That is not the majority of E-2s in my guesstimation.

If youíre an E-2 with an average 25-30 teaching hour week, chances are you have minimal to no deskwarming duties...leaving you with 10-15hrs a week, or even more, for extra part time work you can legally do. This of course depends on your relationship with your boss and the availability of said part time work around where you live.

Some E-2 waegs will have shitty bosses that will reject such a request, some waegs will have great bosses that would have no issues accepting such a request, some waegs will have bosses who might be open to the idea if you can properly persuade them it wonít cause any trouble with the business and immigration...itís a combination of luck and your relationship with your employer.

Back to the original point...wages in korea suck and it looks like they are set to worsen in the coming years.