Read 2565 times

Re: WTF, WTB?!?!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 01:45:22 pm »
I have noticed at least 3 that I used to occasionally visit are gone....I live out on the east coast, so visits were rare anyway.....I thought Taco Bell was doing pretty well but they are closing quickly. I wouldn't think Quiznos would survive over Taco Bell, but it seems to be. Bookstores and beauty stores are closing thanks to Olive Young and online shopping, as well as many of the sports brands Eider, Blackyak etc at least out in Gangwondo.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 02:05:59 pm »
Are people seriously shocked and angry that a brick and mortar store, competing with an instant delivery digital platform, as well as that platform's global shipping, as well as a domestic delivery company, located in a high-rent district, catering to a niche market, went out of business?

no, but they did recently move locations (i'm guessing because of high rent), so it's unsurprising people are shocked that they closed down so soon after moving

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 02:07:39 pm »
Having an ebook in Korea is great because you're cut off from English-language libraries. You get books in seconds and for cheaper than buying actual books. Very useful if you're in a city without English bookstores. Bookdepository is pretty legit though.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 02:09:20 pm »
There is still (I think) that old guy who has the cramped, crowded with used books place right by Nosapyeong station.  Just a tad down from the Nos. 2 & 3 bus stop. 

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 03:34:49 pm »
I'm going to go with the online option.  I checked it out and it works for me. 

Yes, I have considered e-books but...I just prefer an actual book in which I can turn the pages.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 03:50:23 pm »
There is still (I think) that old guy who has the cramped, crowded with used books place right by Nosapyeong station.  Just a tad down from the Nos. 2 & 3 bus stop. 

That old guy has a better selection of books than the whole of wTB IMO. I always come out of there with two or three purchases.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 04:58:46 pm »
yeah that place is great, i agree

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Re: What the Book in Seoul Closed
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2020, 02:03:50 pm »
I'm sure glad someone changed the name of this thread from: "Re: WTF, WTB?!?!"

to: "What the Book in Seoul Closed"

I was really confused.  :rolleyes:

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2020, 02:11:28 pm »
I'm sure glad someone changed the name of this thread from: "Re: WTF, WTB?!?!"

to: "What the Book in Seoul Closed"

I was really confused.  :rolleyes:

...wasn't me.  I guess big brother moderator thought it was tinder box of confusion. 

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2020, 03:43:39 pm »

That old guy has a better selection of books than the whole of wTB IMO. I always come out of there with two or three purchases.

Yeah I like that store.

He did once complain that business is slowing because fewer people buy books nowadays. For various reasons.

I have considered e-books but...I just prefer an actual book in which I can turn the pages.

Me too. Partly also because printed paper is not harmful to the eye.

i recommend just buying an ebook. best thing i've ever bought

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Is Your eReader Damaging Your Eyesight?
https://www.thebestofhealth.co.uk/health-tech/the-joy-of-reading-is-your-ereader-damaging-your-eyesight/

Catch my drift?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2020, 03:55:03 pm »
That's the worst article I've ever read. Also ebooks are exactly the same as reading a normal book, which is exactly what it states at the end of the article anyway:

"However, at this stage, it seems that they offer no more threat to your eyesight than traditional books, and that itís just a matter of remaining sensible whilst using one."

If you're reading on an ipad, it's gonna cause eye strain. But Ebooks just use "liquid ink" or whatever they call it. It's exactly the same thing as reading a paperback. Plus the kindles use front lighting not back lighting, so if you're reading on the dark it's not gonna hurt your eyes

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2020, 06:05:58 pm »
best thing i've ever bought

That's the worst article I've ever read.

If those two things are the most momentous events of your life then you don't appear to have much life experience, lol.

Of course they are going to try and say that E-readers are not harmful. The media has basically become a propaganda ministry for companies and corporations. Of course they are going to try and protect the massive burgeoning E-reader industry and supress studies that show the opposite. Don't be so naive.

The fact is these devices emit blue light.

All kinds of devices emit blue light, such as computer screens, cell-phones, smartwatches, tablets and yes, even e-readers like the Kindle.
Artificial blue light such as this causes our eyes to strain, can give us headaches, even causes macular degeneration and can damage our eyes over time. Blue light exposure has also been linked to certain kinds of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, depression and more.

Besides eye strain, the other most common issue with blue light is how it affects our sleep. Exposure to blue light in the hours before bed inhibits our bodies ability to produce melatonin and affects our circadian rhythm, reducing the quality and quantity of our sleep.
https://emfacademy.com/kindle-blue-light/

By contrast the printed paper books are proven to be better for you, in many ways:

Researchers have been examining the differences between reading regular books and e-books for years. Many of the studies have shown that reading old-fashioned books has plenty of advantages over e-books, which can be gateways to other electronic distractions, all of which screw with your sleep. This is why you should ditch the screen for printed pages.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/e-books-are-damaging-your-health-why-we-should-all-start-reading-paper-books-again-317212
Catch my drift?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2020, 06:36:06 pm »
well yes if you are constantly reading in the dark and have the kindle's lighting feature on, sure. but i'm sure almost every person who uses an e-book reads during the day or under a light, and don't use the kindle's lighting feature. if you're reading a paper book under dim light you're gonna strain your eyes too

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2020, 09:47:10 pm »

A 2014 study found that readers who used Kindles were less competent in recalling the plot and events in the book than those who used paperbacks. Researchers still arenít quite sure why this occurs, but it might have something to do with being able to physically and visually track your progress in a real book.

ďIn this study, we found that paper readers did report higher on measures having to do with empathy and transportation and immersion, and narrative coherence, than iPad readers,Ē said Anne Mangen of Stavanger University in Norway, an author of the study, according to The Guardian.

A recent study out of Harvard University found that reading an e-book before bed lessened the production of an important sleep hormone known as melatonin. As a result, people took much longer to fall asleep, experienced less deep sleep, and were more fatigued in the morning.

Reading an old-fashioned paper book might seem out of style, wasteful, or impractical. But donít underestimate the simplicity of holding a physical book in your hands, flipping through the pages, and not having anything else to shift your focus to. Commit to the classic paper book and you'll get the full, healthier experience.
Catch my drift?

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2020, 09:48:33 pm »
Reading an old-fashioned paper book might seem out of style, wasteful, or impractical. But donít underestimate the simplicity of holding a physical book in your hands, flipping through the pages, and not having anything else to shift your focus to. Commit to the classic paper book and you'll get the full, healthier experience.
[/quote

I agree.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2020, 10:12:24 pm »

A 2014 study found that readers who used Kindles were less competent in recalling the plot and events in the book than those who used paperbacks. Researchers still arenít quite sure why this occurs, but it might have something to do with being able to physically and visually track your progress in a real book.

ďIn this study, we found that paper readers did report higher on measures having to do with empathy and transportation and immersion, and narrative coherence, than iPad readers,Ē said Anne Mangen of Stavanger University in Norway, an author of the study, according to The Guardian.

A recent study out of Harvard University found that reading an e-book before bed lessened the production of an important sleep hormone known as melatonin. As a result, people took much longer to fall asleep, experienced less deep sleep, and were more fatigued in the morning.

mate, have you actually ever used a kindle? reading an ebook with e-ink is literally the exact same thing as reading a paper book

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2020, 10:27:10 pm »

have you tried Aladdin or Yes24?

The two book stores also buy used books. It is a good news for you when you need to sell your old book due to moving or housecleaning. The sad thing is that they wonít buy the old book at a good price. An old book is priced depending on the condition of the book.
http://seoulinsidersguide.com/usedbookstore/

How about the Book repository. Do they buy 2nd hand english books?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/09/281_266856.html

Catch my drift?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2020, 11:06:46 pm »
i recommend just buying an ebook. best thing i've ever bought
+1
A Kindle IMO is the way to go in Korea. Bookstore choices are limited, unless you order, and usually overpriced.

WTB became over time IMO a big ripoff as far as buying and selling used books. The old guy down the street made fairer deals, but even he started to give less for used books. That bookstore might still be there.

If you have a current library card from your hometown in the US, you can probably check out e-books.

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2020, 08:12:30 am »
I used to hate the idea of using an ereader and resisted it for years, but the expense and difficulty of buying paper books in Korea finally pushed me to get a Kindle. It's so much more convenient.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2020, 08:24:39 am »
ihelena:

I went to Ebony and Ivory in Cheonan yesterday! Man, that is such a bizarre place for a store like that. The sheer numebr of books, and ONLY in English in.......... Cheonan???? Pretty blown away. My gf was talking to a woman there who came from Daejeon to come to the store, specifically. It's not super far but still, it's a fair distance to come.

Pretty impressed. I'll have to go back soon and do a thorough scour of the place. 
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?