Read 813 times

EPIK PROGRAM PARENTS
« on: January 03, 2020, 01:31:21 pm »
     Hello all. It’s been a while since I posted on here. A little background, through the past few years I have applied to EPIK and did back out (never signed a contract or left the states). However after doing major reflections on my life, I decided to apply for EPIK last year for FEB 2020. I decided that if I passed all the stages and receive a placement, I’ll follow through. On the other hand, if I didn’t I would just move on with my life. Well fast forward to now, I passed the interview, sent in remaining documents and waiting on my placement.

Now this is where the issue comes into play. My mother got sick with pneumonia which is terrible. She is currently in the hospital. She is doing better but the doctor still wants to keep her in the hospital for a couple more days. I know there is time from now mid February for to be back to normal. I’m hoping my mother gets better (I believe she will).

I truly feel that if it wasn’t my time to go through EPIK, I wouldn’t have been blessed with this opportunity. I know South Korea will always be there and my mothers health most definitely come first. I will say this, when she gets better and I decide to go through with my plan I have a feeling some of my feeling (particularly my parents and family will try to stop me from going). The good part is that my dad is here. In honesty a married couple is suppose to help and support each other in sickness and in health. At the end of the day I still have to live my life, I’m 31 (May seem old or young to some).

Depending on the news I will be contacting my recruiter if I could be moved to a later intake if possible. What are your thoughts and/or opinions? Please no judgement or trolling. Honest and sincere advice is needed. Thank you.

UPDATE: SHE IS DOING BETTER!! I’m glad I still have time to care for her until I leave. My parents will continue to watch over each other regardless.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:50:12 pm by DutchDoll1988 »

Re: EPIK PROGRAM PARENTS
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 02:00:32 pm »
Wishing your mother a speedy and full recovery.  :-*

Only you know your situation and how it could play out.  If I were you and I felt that my mother was going to make a full recovery whilst also having full support and care to get back to one hundred percent then I'd be perfectly happy, like you said, to live my life.  Getting through EPIK can be tricky sometimes and it's not always a sure thing to pass and get the placement.  So maybe something would be telling me that this should be my time to come to Korea.  Thing is also, I believe in destiny and that things happen for a reason when you want them to.  So when you backed out before that wasn't your time, but now passing the interview etc, that maybe it is now.  It's only the 3rd of January, you have a little less than two months to spend time with your mother and make sure she's okay, then come over at the end of February.  I wouldn't be contacting the recruiter now, as you could regret it come the middle of February. 

Just my opinion.  But everyone is different.  Good luck with what you decide.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 02:16:55 pm »
Wishing your mother a speedy and full recovery.  :-*

Only you know your situation and how it could play out.  If I were you and I felt that my mother was going to make a full recovery whilst also having full support and care to get back to one hundred percent then I'd be perfectly happy, like you said, to live my life.  Getting through EPIK can be tricky sometimes and it's not always a sure thing to pass and get the placement.  So maybe something would be telling me that this should be my time to come to Korea.  Thing is also, I believe in destiny and that things happen for a reason when you want them to.  So when you backed out before that wasn't your time, but now passing the interview etc, that maybe it is now.  It's only the 3rd of January, you have a little less than two months to spend time with your mother and make sure she's okay, then come over at the end of February.  I wouldn't be contacting the recruiter now, as you could regret it come the middle of February. 

Just my opinion.  But everyone is different.  Good luck with what you decide.

Hi. Thank you for post and response. I agree with everything you said. God bless and Happy New Year.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 07:12:41 pm »
I'm gonna be real honest.

a) pneumonia can be deadly but if you get over it you will eventually recover fully.

b) honestly EPIK treats its teachers like a very disposable commodity. They expect most teachers to only be in Korea for a year then leave. They actually expect a lot of teachers to quit early or do a midnight run and flee back home because they don't like Korea. They also have backup teachers on standby to come in in April and May to fill in for teachers who never showed up or who quit after their first few weeks. If you tell EPIK (or your recruiter) that you aren't coming, they'll drop you like a bag of rocks and get someone else, and you might never get accepted if you try again.

Honestly I would wait a bit and see how your mom does, if you make EPIK doubt that you are coming they will move on from you real fast to someone else. You will probably find that getting your visa and flight paid for will be pretty last minute anyway, probably mid-February at the earliest, at least it was like that for me. You probably have at least a few more weeks before really having to decide to go or not.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 07:34:43 pm »
I'm gonna be real honest.

a) pneumonia can be deadly but if you get over it you will eventually recover fully.

b) honestly EPIK treats its teachers like a very disposable commodity. They expect most teachers to only be in Korea for a year then leave. They actually expect a lot of teachers to quit early or do a midnight run and flee back home because they don't like Korea. They also have backup teachers on standby to come in in April and May to fill in for teachers who never showed up or who quit after their first few weeks. If you tell EPIK (or your recruiter) that you aren't coming, they'll drop you like a bag of rocks and get someone else, and you might never get accepted if you try again.

Honestly I would wait a bit and see how your mom does, if you make EPIK doubt that you are coming they will move on from you real fast to someone else. You will probably find that getting your visa and flight paid for will be pretty last minute anyway, probably mid-February at the earliest, at least it was like that for me. You probably have at least a few more weeks before really having to decide to go or not.

Hello. I agree.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 07:03:52 am »
UPDATE: My mother is doing better. Thank God for that. On the road to better recovery. The team of nurses and doctors did a great job.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 07:33:49 am »
UPDATE: My mother is doing better. Thank God for that. On the road to better recovery. The team of nurses and doctors did a great job.

She is going to be just fine, I know it and you will be just fine too, good luck for your future and your new job.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!